Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: MV6 scrapped  (Read 4543 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
MV6 scrapped
« on: 29 June 2014, 22:13:47 »

I was most upset to see in a Swindon scrappy, what appeared to be an immaculate silver 3.2 MV6 on the rack. When I enquired, I was told it was Cat C or  D, I forget which, anyway, the one which states that it cannot be sold to be repaired. I saw pictures of the interior, looked immaculate inside, 91K. I could see no damage anywhere, so I cannot understand how it can be declared unrepairable. I can only guess that it is some insurance scam by a garage that took it in P/E. I took some pics I'll post up when I get time. :( :( :(

05omegav6

Re: MV6 scrapped
« Reply #1 on: 29 June 2014, 22:15:56 »

Cat B is parts only, C and D can both be put back on the road :y

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 June 2014, 06:48:31 »

There's actually no reason a cat b can't go back on the road, it's an insurers classification of economical repair cost and nowt to do with the dvla at all. Can be Vic checked and reused if you so wish !
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

joff

• Omega Knight
  • swindon, wilts
  • Discovery TD5 ES
    • Drives the wife mad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 June 2014, 06:48:57 »

Which yard was it in, and was it saloon or estate :-\

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 June 2014, 07:49:11 »

you don't need another one :)
Hoof'land storeman.

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 June 2014, 08:00:42 »

I remember a few years back there was a vw golf r32 brand new with less than 3000 miles on the clock. It looked immaculate apart from a nasty smell from inside. I asked the scrappy what's wrong with it and he said its a write off. It had been in a flood and the insurance company had ordered it to be destroyed even though it only needed an interior or a bloody good steam clean. He wasn't even allowed to sell any of the parts off it either and he had to provide photo evidence he had done this :o :o

Either that or he was winding me up :)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 30 June 2014, 09:03:50 »

SW Vauxhall Spares, Cheney Manor, Saloon. They have 4 Omegas in, including one Estate.  Considering what Al said above, it should then be possible to buy it. But it was quoted as either C or D, and I was told that their 'license' precluded them from selling it. I am wondering if they don't want to sell it as it is worth more in parts? :-\ :-\ :-\

candyman

• Carrickfergus, N Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30 June 2014, 09:21:11 »

I remember a few years back there was a vw golf r32 brand new with less than 3000 miles on the clock. It looked immaculate apart from a nasty smell from inside. I asked the scrappy what's wrong with it and he said its a write off. It had been in a flood and the insurance company had ordered it to be destroyed even though it only needed an interior or a bloody good steam clean. He wasn't even allowed to sell any of the parts off it either and he had to provide photo evidence he had done this :o :o

Either that or he was winding me up :)

That is true. A mate runs a metal scrap yard and gets cars like that in all the time. A car that has been in a flood is classed as contaimated and can't be touched, even the wheels! He also gets tax cars (seen an impreza turbo get crushed complete!) And insurance write of cars which we can't touch or go back on road. They can trace by engine numbers etc apparently. It amazes me what gets crushed that is prefectly good and working.
ongoing projects- 99 3.0 elite est, 90 xr4x4 est twin turbo. expensive ornament- mz baghira supermoto. mk2 granada 2.8 gradualy disappearing in storage

chrisgixer

« Reply #8 on: 30 June 2014, 09:31:58 »

If its up on a rack, it will have damage underneath from the rack and the fork lift that put it there, if the yard near me is anything to go by. So if it wasn't a right off before, it almost certainly will be now.

Shame though. :(

Is it worth getting the suspension off it?

omega3000

« Reply #9 on: 30 June 2014, 13:53:07 »

Hmm 93 miles away  ::) Guess its a f/l though  :-\

Is it silver  ::)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 June 2014, 17:08:24 »

Hmm 93 miles away  ::) Guess its a f/l though  :-\

Is it silver  ::)

:y

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 June 2014, 17:09:30 »

Unfortunately I am unable to get the pics off my iPhone onto the PC to upload. >:(

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 June 2014, 17:14:21 »

A friend of mine used to be contracted to a scrap yard to collect vehicles from local authorities the police etc. These not only had to be crushed with appropriate paperwork supplied to the DVLA, but the paperwork also had to be sent to the authority involved with photographic evidence of destruction.

I can understand why flooded cars are considered contaminated as raw sewage is usually in the water, which leaves the danger of catching something very nasty and possibly life threatening. :(
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 June 2014, 17:17:01 »

There's actually no reason a cat b can't go back on the road, it's an insurers classification of economical repair cost and nowt to do with the dvla at all. Can be Vic checked and reused if you so wish !
Nope, once declared cat B, it can never go back on the road, but can be used for spares. C and D can, upon passing a VOSA inspection. Cat A can't even be used for parts.
Grumpy old man

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 June 2014, 18:06:31 »

Nope, once declared cat B, it can never go back on the road, but can be used for spares. C and D can, upon passing a VOSA inspection. Cat A can't even be used for parts.

Sorry TB  but DVLA and insurance man with a clipboard are two completely different entities and the latter has no ability to declare anything not able to be put back on the road, the former also can't refuse to issue a V5 if the car has passed a VIC and an MOT.

See the thread below of a cat B E55 merc going back on the road, page 4 on

http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/155617?page=4#.U7GX6bGmWIY

Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 22 queries.