Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: MV6 scrapped  (Read 4542 times)

chrisgixer

Re: MV6 scrapped
« Reply #30 on: 01 July 2014, 13:45:26 »

Ive been after a set of those alloys for ages  ::)

Got a set in the garage :P

chrisgixer

« Reply #31 on: 01 July 2014, 13:47:22 »

Maybe the owner just scrapped it. "Failed" head gasket or similar miss diagnosis to an uninformed owner. Maybe.

I know what you where told but surely that's just a standard answer to a jobs worth?

omega3000

« Reply #32 on: 01 July 2014, 13:56:11 »

Ive been after a set of those alloys for ages  ::)

Got a set in the garage :P

Like these   :)

Are they for sale ?
« Last Edit: 01 July 2014, 13:59:52 by Emd »

woolley11

• Intermediate Member
  • York
    • 3.0 MV6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 03 July 2014, 08:30:44 »

I worked with a registered treatment facility of end of life vehicles.

The facts of the insurance industry are:

1. Flooded cars may contain effluent and other nasties. To limit the insurer's liability it is better to crush a £35k car rather than be faced with claims in the future for disease/serious illness or even death. It happened near Hull a few months ago when a Motordepot was flooded from the Humber. I guess most of the stock - all nearly near new would have been cubed complete .

2. CAT B cars are not permitted to be put back on the road due to the level of damage sustained, or from a perceived safety risk by the insurance assessor at the time. Also in respect of the families of the victims driving the vehicles at the time, the assessor would feel it should not be back on the road as there could have been serious injuries or fatalities.

3.CAT C, D, X and U are all fine to be put back on the road. You need a VIC check with a cat C

Some Cat C's and D's can be worth more in parts though.

Omega 3.0 MV6 pfl
BMW Alpina B10 3.3 Touring
VW Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign, Triumph Dolomite Sprint

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 03 July 2014, 18:36:44 »

1. Flooded cars may contain effluent and other nasties. To limit the insurer's liability it is better to crush a £35k car rather than be faced with claims in the future for disease/serious illness or even death. It happened near Hull a few months ago when a Motordepot was flooded from the Humber. I guess most of the stock - all nearly near new would have been cubed complete .

2. CAT B cars are not permitted to be put back on the road due to the level of damage sustained, or from a perceived safety risk by the insurance assessor at the time. Also in respect of the families of the victims driving the vehicles at the time, the assessor would feel it should not be back on the road as there could have been serious injuries or fatalities.

3.CAT C, D, X and U are all fine to be put back on the road. You need a VIC check with a cat C

It has not been flooded.

As it is either C or D, and looks in VGC, I guess your last point is relevant, and is why they say that "We are not allowed to sell it, or we will lose our license"??? :-X :-X :-X

05omegav6

« Reply #35 on: 03 July 2014, 18:41:11 »

Once the car is declared scrapped, it can only be broken, regardless of condition. Non compliance of this point could see the scrapyards environmental licence in question were they found to be selling complete cars that have been declared as scrapped :y

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #36 on: 03 July 2014, 18:59:27 »

Presumably if you want summat off it, they drop it down :-\

It sure looks a 'posh' scrappy...

Not sure how that scrap yard works.....but it maybe that you tell them the part you want and they go get it, ive been in one scrappy near swindon that operated that method. Wouldnt let you near the cars....

Another one i was in, just had the cars stacked up on roofs of others....that time i wanted a fuel pump for my 2.2....they had a 2.0 with another car stacked on its roof.....i was just told to go get the pump myself....as the seats were already removed it didnt take long to get the pump out....thankfully.....no H&S in that scrappy  ;D

Incidentally....that scrappy went up in smoke about 6 months later.....so no idea if they are still there  ::) :-\

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 03 July 2014, 20:27:40 »

Not sure how that scrap yard works.....but it maybe that you tell them the part you want and they go get it, ive been in one scrappy near swindon that operated that method. Wouldnt let you near the cars....

Another one i was in, just had the cars stacked up on roofs of others....that time i wanted a fuel pump for my 2.2....they had a 2.0 with another car stacked on its roof.....i was just told to go get the pump myself....as the seats were already removed it didnt take long to get the pump out....thankfully.....no H&S in that scrappy  ;D

Incidentally....that scrappy went up in smoke about 6 months later.....so no idea if they are still there  ::) :-\

The one out on Breach Lane near Bushton ?? "Rayners Breakers" (or their new posh name "Swindon Metal Solutions") ?? Still going and still pretty useless TBH .. they rarely know what they have in or where it is, and are not very helpful in getting parts off, then try and charge silly money once you've done the work. Solution is to VERY firmly agree a price BEFORE doing any work ..... they don't like it .. but if you turn and walk away ......  :)

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 04 July 2014, 10:44:34 »

Permitted by who? There is a voluntary code of conduct for those scrap dealers and insurance companys that choose to sing the same song but absolutely no law that dictates this and the DVLA back this up!
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

woolley11

• Intermediate Member
  • York
    • 3.0 MV6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 04 July 2014, 20:24:19 »

Cat B's are assigned by the insurance company.

The only way a breaker yard has a Cat B is he must be a registered treatment facility. This means that he has the facility to acquire Cat B stock either direct from the Insurance contracts or at a vehicle salvage auction where he must have a licence.

If he breaches this by selling the car complete, then his licence will be revoked, together with fines and penalties.

We all know that money speaks louder than words for some unscrupulous dealers !
Omega 3.0 MV6 pfl
BMW Alpina B10 3.3 Touring
VW Mk1 Golf GTi Campaign, Triumph Dolomite Sprint

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 04 July 2014, 21:47:35 »

Cat B's are assigned by the insurance company.

The only way a breaker yard has a Cat B is he must be a registered treatment facility. This means that he has the facility to acquire Cat B stock either direct from the Insurance contracts or at a vehicle salvage auction where he must have a licence.

If he breaches this by selling the car complete, then his licence will be revoked, together with fines and penalties.

We all know that money speaks louder than words for some unscrupulous dealers !

Sorry for being dim but who would issue said fines?
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

05omegav6

« Reply #41 on: 04 July 2014, 22:39:47 »

Local authority or environment agency at a guess :-\ if they cba...

Though presumably making a false declaration of scrapping to the dvla (ie selling a complete vehicle which had been declared as broken up for parts) would be an offence in its own right :-\
« Last Edit: 04 July 2014, 22:42:28 by Taxi Al »

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #42 on: 05 July 2014, 17:07:25 »

Which yard was it in, and was it saloon or estate :-\

SW Vauxhall Spares, Cheney Manor, Saloon. They have 4 Omegas in, including one Estate.  Considering what Al said above, it should then be possible to buy it. But it was quoted as either C or D, and I was told that their 'license' precluded them from selling it. I am wondering if they don't want to sell it as it is worth more in parts? :-\ :-\ :-\

the guy that runs it used to be an OOF member…..   think his name was Dave…..   can't recall the member ID though…..      originally he was based out past cirencester at a services just off the A417 .  then  he moved to a location the other side of cirencester….      (from whence i collected a bunch of Seats for Josh once….  )      now he's in Swindon….

operates more like a shop front,  you go ask for the parts,  if not already dismantled and on the shelf and checked over, then they do so to order….

generally pretty good record keeping and stock knowledge….    and no… you get nowhere near the cars…… 

their disassembly process is (or was when observed)   careful and knowledgeable as well…..   i've watched them strip an Elite to bare shell……   not a scratch on anything….. 

If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #43 on: 05 July 2014, 18:11:56 »

The one out on Breach Lane near Bushton ?? "Rayners Breakers" (or their new posh name "Swindon Metal Solutions") ?? Still going and still pretty useless TBH .. they rarely know what they have in or where it is, and are not very helpful in getting parts off, then try and charge silly money once you've done the work. Solution is to VERY firmly agree a price BEFORE doing any work ..... they don't like it .. but if you turn and walk away ......  :)

Yeah, i think that was the one Nige.....maybe different owners now then....they knew they had a 2.0 Omega in stock when i originally called them and pointed it out to me when i got there....but it was upto me to get the fuel pump off it.....they were more interested in sitting the portacabin, doing not a lot.....but then that sometimes helps with helping yourself to other smaller pocket size items  ;) ;D I think i paid a tenner for the fuel pump  :y
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 22 queries.