Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Earthing strap  (Read 1480 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Earthing strap
« on: 28 July 2019, 19:40:25 »

Does the f/l V6 have an earthing strap between the engine and body[thinking particularly in the radiator front of engine area]?Haynes mentions one thereabouts for the early cars but goes on to state where applicable.Just wondering if something like that could affect the rev counter/speedo.A new rad was fitted  awhile ago and straight afterwards the rev counter/speedo began acting up with most of the time they didn't work[while the rest of cluster did]this seemed to be cured when I fitted a new battery not long ago.Now since having all the gubbins out from between rad and engine to replace auxiliary belt it's gone back to having the same rev counter/speedo problem >:( so wondered if there is indeed an earth strap there whether it's making a bad connection that I've disturbed.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Earthing strap
« Reply #1 on: 28 July 2019, 19:50:05 »

It does, but shouldn't have been affected by a radiator change unless you're a complete butcher :-\

It connects the block to the subframe iirc :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 July 2019, 19:50:55 »

Yes, there is one at the bottom n/s of the engine. near the bottom of the a/c compressor, and goes to the chassis.
Easy to disturb when changing the rad, as they can corrode / rot over time and then might be easy to damage if working in the area  ;)
The one on my car was almost rotted through when I got the car.

Edit. That damn doctor can type fast.  ::) ;D
« Last Edit: 28 July 2019, 19:54:10 by Migv6 »
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 July 2019, 19:52:22 »

If you can't see an earth strap, why not fit one as a cheap way to eliminate that as a possible cause of your problem?

Ron.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 July 2019, 20:08:01 »

It was as Migv6 suggests the idea of corrosion/rot that had me thinking of this and obviously swapping the auxiliary belt in order to bypass the aircon compressor means I was delving into this area,although I didn't notice an earth strap it doesn't mean there isn't one as I just wasn't looking for one it's only since running it afterwards to bleed the cooling system after also fitting a new 'stat/cts/temp sender that I noticed it happening again.As Bigron says I'll buy one[for the minimal cost of one]and see about fitting that.This car has been more problematical than Terrys whole fleet of Astras ;D

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 July 2019, 20:35:35 »

connect a jump lead just to check?

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 July 2019, 21:09:05 »

Hey mate I found I wasn't getting quite enough charge after a long period of hunting I discovered beneath sludge the remains of an earth strap torn off. So worth doing as you say, however doesn't seem to answer your speedo issue.
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 July 2019, 21:19:43 »

Low voltages does cause havoc with the electricals ;)

Run KWs excellent how to electrical diagnostic tests and report back :y

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 July 2019, 12:34:05 »

Cannot see an earth strap from above-can only see a short way back along the aircon compressor before pipework etc gets in way-and unable to get a clear view from underneath at present.Don't have[as has been suggested]any jump leads to try that.Had a look at KW's guide but can only do a few of the checks as I don't have access to help.The results were battery at rest 12.79,engine running at its start up speed[just over 1,000 revs]14.79,engine at its normal tickover[about 500revs or just under]14.45 engine at tickover-lights on and heater on lowest setting 14.39 rising to 14.7 when engine revved by hand[to I'd guess somewhere around 2,000revs.Rev counter still not working-needle fluttering at bottom of gauge until engine stopped when it jumps to registering about 100revs[this drops back to O when ignition turned back on.All 3 fans still turn on all at once when temp gauge registers 90 temp will then drop to about 88 but the fans remain running until after engine switched off.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 July 2019, 13:10:17 »

A piece of wire between the front lifting eye and battery negative will suffice  :y

Voltages might just be OK, seem a touch high perhaps, but it's possible that the car simply requires more use :-\

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 July 2019, 14:00:31 »

Doubt you would be able to see it from above. Easy to see from underneath though, which probably isn't much help if the car is parked up on top of a big puddle or similar.
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 21 queries.