Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1st diesel omega  (Read 1529 times)

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
1st diesel omega
« on: 09 January 2018, 11:31:00 »

Been looking for a work horse for a while now and after not finding anything that really interested me settled for another omega. This will be my fifth but my 1st diesel. It's a 2.2 cdx, 1 owner and on 100k. I know that the 2.2 engines are prone to problems, is there anything I can do to prolong the engine life? Also I will miss the Bluetooth phone option I have on the saab, has any1 had much luck installing similar to omega. Not really fussed on one those ugly parrot jobbies if I can avoid it! Don't mind changing the radio but I'd like to keep the display and steering wheel buttons working if possible??
Drive 'er like yer late for mass!!

ajsphead

• Intermediate Member
  • North Somerset
    • Omega 2.2 DTi estate
    • View Profile
Re: 1st diesel omega
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2018, 07:34:57 »

Hi and welcome to diesel ownership.

I don't know who suggested that the diesel engine is prone to problems because it's pretty near bulletproof and far less temperamental than the V6 petrols. The caveat will be the competence of any previous owner just like it is for any old used car. There's nothing particularly special to worry about other than not letting the fuel tank run too low (1/4 min is safe). Oil change with decent 10W40 every 5K miles, filter every 10K and otherwise follow the GM servicing schedule and it'll just keep chugging along.

You might find some of the oil seals are getting a bit weepy, a good reason not to use thinner oil, which the engine doesn't really need anyway, and a job that can be gradually sorted out bit by bit.

Problems will be due to age/natural wear and tear, poor ownership and poor quality workmanship. Standard lottery really.

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2018, 07:51:05 »

I'd always heard that the 2.5 td were bulletproof and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any available! I'd been told the 2.2 wasnt as good and that especially the diesel pumps gave problems. Hopefully I've got a decent one, haven't collected it yet but it's one owner from new and it seems to have been well looked after but time will tell. Will mostly be be motorway driving so hopefully won't have too many problems.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 January 2018, 08:11:56 »

The diesel pumps are fine if you don't get incompetent mechanics changing filters and then cranking the engine to death to re-prime the system, they need hand priming as the fuel return is from the pump so all the diesel drains back to the tank.

You can buy a hand priming bulb which clips into the fuel line to the filter for about a tenner, it also has a non return valve built in and is sensible to leave permanently connected if you can.

Inlet manifolds get gunked up as do the EGR's, mucky job to clean out but not that hard to do (but does need the fuel system priming again afterwards)

ajsphead

• Intermediate Member
  • North Somerset
    • Omega 2.2 DTi estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 January 2018, 08:15:36 »

It'll much up motorway miles very happily and economically too. There's a fairly recent thread about the fuel pump issues. That's one reason not to let the tank run too low, but otherwise the post I put in explaining how they work fills in a lot of blanks. Basically just don't let them run dry as the timing plunger and housing can be damaged and the ECU can overheat.

They are very common units which can also be repaired without too much bother by suitably expert people and sometimes by owners depending on the problem so I wouldn't worry.

Change the fuel filter yourself so you know it's done properly and don't let pub logic influence you.

More to the point will be standard Omega issues which will keep you busy just like the rest of us.

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 January 2018, 08:33:48 »

Have u got a link to the fuel pump thread. Can't seem to find any recent ones?

ajsphead

• Intermediate Member
  • North Somerset
    • Omega 2.2 DTi estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 January 2018, 09:10:12 »

horsecow

• Omagh
    • 2.2 dti cdx/3.2 elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 January 2018, 10:12:35 »

Ta very much!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 18 queries.