Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Network Hub  (Read 1260 times)

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
Network Hub
« on: 20 January 2018, 03:20:30 »

I have had a NETGEAR DGND3700 for a few years now with no issues at all. :y

Also had a 8 port gigabit hub connected to it which has 2 PC's (i7 & AMD FX), TV, phone booster and DVD Recorder etc connected with no problems other than a burt out power supply a year ago. :-\

This is where the problem starts, thought the hub had packed up, so connected the i7 PC direct and all worked ok, so bought a new 8 port hub (Managed)(was late and I was stressed) and had no joy connecting, put it down to needing set up and ordered another 8 port PnP Gigabit hub, plugged it in tonight and still no connections on either PC, take the modem/router cable back to a PC all ok.

I allways rebooted after swapped cables and have tried the M/R cable ingoing to all hubs into each of the 1.2.7.8 ports and not connected at all.  Also powered everything down and unplugged things etc.

Have run varius Modem/routers and add on hubs for years. but where am I going wrong with these hubs, Maybe 1 faulty but 2 brand new ones? Also tried alternative lan cables and new ones.

Feeling stupid as it's probably going to be something stupid.

Please also be nice to me as I am no network techie and a lot of it will be too technical for my tender brain. :-X
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Network Hub
« Reply #1 on: 21 January 2018, 11:30:49 »

Not clear what you are saying - one switch (I assume you don't actually have hubs) not working, even when replaced?

The managed one (if truly managed, and not just a "Smart" switch) might need initial configuration before you can use, though most will act as a basic layer 2 switch in default mode, once fully booted (a managed switch may take a minute to boot).

A gigabit switch *MUST* support autocrossover to comply with standards. A 100M switch doesn't necessarily have to.  So if connecting a 100M switch to a gigabit switch might need a crossover cable.

Last immediate thought is many routers, even consumer shite, implement spanning tree detection. Thus if you've been daft enough to connect both switches to the same router, and also linked the 2 switches, spanning tree will kick in and disable ports to stop the loop.
Grumpy old man

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 January 2018, 12:38:31 »

Probably nothing whatsoever to do with the question, but last time we discussed interweb problems I mentioned that mine was a pita.
Yesterday morning I replaced my old phone socket with a new one, and my interweb has been superb ever since.  :)
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Mr Skrunts

• Get A Life!!
  • Skruntie Land.
  • 3.O Elite Saloon with all the toys,
    • 2003 CD 2.2 Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 January 2018, 20:50:43 »

Not clear what you are saying - one switch (I assume you don't actually have hubs) not working, even when replaced?

The managed one (if truly managed, and not just a "Smart" switch) might need initial configuration before you can use, though most will act as a basic layer 2 switch in default mode, once fully booted (a managed switch may take a minute to boot).  That's what I thought.

A gigabit switch *MUST* support autocrossover to comply with standards. A 100M switch doesn't necessarily have to.  So if connecting a 100M switch to a gigabit switch might need a crossover cable.
mm, there  is where the problem might be then.  When i lost internet access it was due to  the lan cable from the modem/router to the original hub getting chafed as it was run over the top of the doors from one room to another, this was replaced with a new cat6 cable (not sure if the old one was an x cable(or that the replacement needs to be an x cable))

Last immediate thought is many routers, even consumer shite, implement spanning tree detection. Thus if you've been daft enough to connect both switches to the same router, and also linked the 2 switches, spanning tree will kick in and disable ports to stop the loop.
only one switch at a time has ever been connected.

x = crossover cable.
Ask yourself :  " WHY do I believe in what I believe?"

Remember that my opinions expressed here are not representative of the opinions of other members on the OOF Forum.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 January 2018, 17:33:26 »

No sure if Cat6 crossovers exist (officially), as cat6 is designed for gig speeds, and all gig devices must support auto crossover.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 18 queries.