Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting trip to Specsavers !!  (Read 1685 times)

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
Interesting trip to Specsavers !!
« on: 26 November 2014, 21:53:40 »

Two weeks ago I went to Specsavers for an eye test. My prescription had altered and I needed new specs. I was shown to the frames section and picked some. Then we sat down and went through the lens side of things. I said I wanted the same lens quality as my old specs, which were 'Elite'. I was told my lenses were not Elite and they were the dearer type (£50 dearer). I was told Elite lenses would not suit my prescription, and listened to a load of claptrap about why.

I went back yesterday to collect my specs. I tried them on, and.......absolute crap. I could not focus on distance, everything was out of focus. Nearsight was ok. But on saying that, I had no peripheral focus at all. It was like being in a tunnel, and I felt claustrophobic. I was told to take them and try then for a few days. This morning, I could stand them no more. My eyes ached and watered. As soon as I put my old specs on, everything was beautiful again. I had driven home in them last night, which I now know was dangerous.
So I go back to Specsavers, and to start with, received some twaddle, insinuating that it was my fault with the prescription. I said I was not likely to say I could see things when I could not etc. Eventually, someone higher up the ladder was called. I explained everything again, and was given a quick test at the desk. This led to the optician being called and a new test done. This new optician was brilliant, she apologised time after time. I explained about the change of lens. She said my original lenses were Elite, and my prescription would be better with Elite and not the dearer ones. She was not happy that I was told to go away and try them, when the distance focus was not right, and peripheral vision was blurred. Also the fact that I was given wrong information from the outset. Evidently, its something to do with how thin they make the lens, etc. She also agreed I should not have driven in them.

To sum up, she has assured me they will do a new lens in Elite, to the same prescription and peripherals as the old lens, and she had 'tweaked' up the near vision, which was where I needed an increase, and I also received a refund.

Before anyone says anything....Christine had her glasses done at the same time. Now her originals were the dearer sort, and her new glasses are superb.!!!!

Don't really know why I had to endure you all to that, but what the heck. Sat in the tin tent with nothing else to do ;D ;D ;D ;D
Wrong Switch Tony......flicking the wrong bit for 50 years

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting trip to Specsavers !!
« Reply #1 on: 26 November 2014, 21:56:38 »

Thanks for sharing. :y ;D

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 November 2014, 22:10:26 »

Did you get Christine to type that for you, or did you tap it out in Braille?  :P :P :P
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 November 2014, 22:23:46 »

Father in law had same problem. Went in bought some verifocals after a eye test. He went back to collect them and when trying them on said whats going on cant see a bloody thing. Stupid sales person said dont worry you will get use to them. Anyway he kicked off and  one of the eye testers (sorry cant remember fancy name) came out and asked him what was wong. He explained and the guy went away to test the lenses, it turned out they had made them upside down and to the wrong prescription.

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 November 2014, 22:47:52 »

Did you get Christine to type that for you, or did you tap it out in Braille?  :P :P :P

10 out of ten for that one....swmbo is cracking up....be looking for a puddle in a minute ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

78bex

• Omega Knight
    • 2.2 CD AUTO / FAZER 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 November 2014, 23:23:39 »

How weird my bro has recently had the same crap deal from specsavers. >:( Was told the new script needed some gettin used to. But here`s the funny part ;D He popped his new specs on & went to let the dog in thru the conservatory sliding door & got a bit confuzed as he tried to slide a door that was already open. groping for the handle that wasn`t there, he over-balanced; tripped over the dog & fell into his wheely bins. 5 small stitces later for the deep cut in his scalp & one pair of broken new specs later  ;D ;D ;D He ain`t happy. I laughed my socks off when he told me. Bit of super glue & some vinyl tape later & the blurred double vision is back :y

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 November 2014, 23:31:50 »

Its really not the mutts nuts, when you receive this type treatment for something as serious as sight.

I do wonder whether it is sometimes false economy to go to these 'larger retail outlets' rather than the small high street optician with a bit of personal service.

And...78bex....you are a sadistic sod  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 27 November 2014, 00:04:29 »

Cannot fault my local Specsavers, yet my mum won't go near them, prefering instead to use an independent place...

That said, her eyes are troublesome, so she's a regular visitor to Moorfields in Lundun, and if they can't get her prescription right, we're all doomed ::)

Glad it's sorted though :y

Vamps

• Bishop Middleham, Co Durham.
  • Flying Tonight, so Be Prepared.
    • Mig 2.6CDX and 2.2 Honda
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 November 2014, 00:57:25 »

We use Specsavers and have not had any problems so far............. :y

We, ie Me, Swmbo and Miss Vamps have an appointment with them on Saturday....... :D :D

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 November 2014, 10:41:47 »

This pair  (and a second pair) I had from this same branch two years ago have been perfect. :y

I think in the first place I was confronted with an over zealous sales person, and secondly, when I collected my specs, (I saw a different person), who because of what I was complaining about, did not know how to handle it, just taking it as 'their specs can't be wrong, you have to get used to them' approach. Which IME is a silly attitude.
We will see what happens when the new ones come....if they are not here by sunday, then they have to send them Wycombe, and I have to ponce about going to get them from there.

Actually, although I expect you know this....Specsavers are not 'one company' it is a franchise business. I found this out when I said 'Why can't you pull up my details on the computer, they must be on your database'. I was told they cannot do that as its a franchise. They all work as one, as such as per business rules, but work together in situations that require it.

And as a footnote, I cannot fault them from previous experience. :y

PS.......Two years ago, we went to book an eye test, but they were full at the time so we whipped along to Vision Express, who were advertising tests within 15 mins. Had the test, but trying to get out of that shop with the prescription, which they did not want to hand over, was a total nightmare. Had to get nasty in the end, sad to say.

Olympia5776

• Omega Baron
  • Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 November 2014, 14:30:29 »

I despise them .
My wife and I have had to use them over here for some years now due to lack of competition in our nearest main town. Irrespective of what "offer" they have on we always end up spending €200-300 for our new glasses.
Ah, but no longer  :)       http://www.spex4less.com/     :y
Pop into Specsavers  get your eyes tested at their " low cost get you in the door to rob you " price then politley tell them you have no time to peruse and promptly send you order off to Mr John Styles .
In the last year I've replaced all my old pairs (which incidently NEVER fitted properly irrespective of what all the wee girl assistants said  >:( )  and the only problem I had was one lens popped out of a new pair to which they replaced both the lenses and frame  FOC and refunded my postage on my next purchase.
Their prescription sunglasses are great too .
All my life I have worn glasses and they were always an expensive purchase but that's not the case now.......

Terbs

• Omega Lord
  • Brackley/Wareham
  • The Freezer Geezer
    • CD Saloon 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 November 2014, 20:16:16 »

Ironically, I have two friends who have both purchased specs online (from a company based in Kent)
They rate them and say they have had no problems at all.
I am really tempted to go for a pair from them.
However, due to certain implications, which I won't go into here, I cannot fill in online prescription forms, and would have to contact them to describe my situation. Can't seem to take the bull between the horns and go for it. :(
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.