Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: I am not a robot  (Read 2896 times)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
I am not a robot
« on: 19 March 2019, 09:54:48 »

I have spent countless hours clicking on pictures of traffic lights, bicycles, buses etc. trying to access some previously easily accessible sites. >:( >:( >:( I've given up on some, (including Topcashback, which is annoying) as life is too short. Has anyone discovered a way around these tedious systems?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: I am not a robot
« Reply #1 on: 19 March 2019, 09:58:46 »

The idea is that they are NOT easily automatically bypassed. Thats the point ;)

The old obscured letters setup was easily bypassed by bots, hence the new scheme.  Because the same backend system, operated by the likes of Google, is used on many sites, continuously cocking up one on one site will mean you are more likely to get repeatedly asked on other sites.  If you don't get frustrated, and take care, you will notice more and more that you'll still get the tick box to confirm you are not a robot, but get shown the picture verification less and less.

HTH
Grumpy old man

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 March 2019, 09:59:36 »

I thought it was just me! I click what seems to be all of the right pictures, and still they want more - what a useless system. There must be a better way???

Ron.

aaronjb

« Reply #3 on: 19 March 2019, 10:03:34 »

I thought it was just me! I click what seems to be all of the right pictures, and still they want more - what a useless system. There must be a better way???

A better way to determine human from non-human? Nope, this is the best way.. Unless everyone just paid someone to phone you up to verify you are a human before you were allowed in, I suppose ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 March 2019, 10:19:02 »

A better way to determine human from non-human? Nope, this is the best way.. Unless everyone just paid someone to phone you up to verify you are a human before you were allowed in, I suppose ;D
Note to the NWO... Make sure the person in charge of immigration isn't techie ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 March 2019, 10:59:44 »

Ron.
Its defo not just you Ron. I counted doing 12 different picture quizzes the other day. It seems even when you are certain you have got it right, they still keep asking. I've never counted less than 4 pages, and usually 8+. >:( >:( >:(

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 March 2019, 11:01:25 »

The idea is that they are NOT easily automatically bypassed. Thats the point ;)

The old obscured letters setup was easily bypassed by bots, hence the new scheme.  Because the same backend system, operated by the likes of Google, is used on many sites, continuously cocking up one on one site will mean you are more likely to get repeatedly asked on other sites.  If you don't get frustrated, and take care, you will notice more and more that you'll still get the tick box to confirm you are not a robot, but get shown the picture verification less and less.

HTH

I thought the idea of having a password was to allow you in??? What is the point?

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 March 2019, 11:04:32 »

Vote with your feet and tell the sites concerned why you are doing so. If they don't realise their policies are losing them customers they won't change them. If they do, they still probably won't change because sadly, in the swamp that is the internet, you have to force customers to jump through hoops like this.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

aaronjb

« Reply #8 on: 19 March 2019, 11:05:53 »

I thought the idea of having a password was to allow you in??? What is the point?

The password is to allow you in. The pictures are to ensure that you are a human being and not an automated script running on a computer designed to:

a) Steal information (yours, theirs)
b) Consume resources (resources cost money, theirs, ultimately yours)
c) Cause damage (which costs money, theirs, ultimately yours)

:y

Human beings can answer the pictures question - computers cannot (yet). Whether or not you are answering "right" is based on statistical analysis of all the other people who have answered the question, amongst other things (likely the script is also compiling information about your computer to determine if it looks like a real person using a computer rather than a simulated environment, and to try to identify "your computer" across sites by using things like what fonts you have installed, what graphics card you have installed, how the audio driver behaves in your specific machine, what languages you support and a multitude of other data points).

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 March 2019, 11:29:26 »

What sort of a world have we invented?  :-\ :-\ :-\

aaronjb

« Reply #10 on: 19 March 2019, 11:32:28 »

The same one that always existed - one where people criminals everyone wants to make money :y Pretty sure that pre-dates the invention of the computer..

2boxerdogs

« Reply #11 on: 19 March 2019, 12:00:07 »

Glad to hear other folk get all this nonsense get it often at work, mind sometimes being employed by HMPS could be similar to being a robot !

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 March 2019, 12:23:47 »

The same one that always existed - one where people criminals everyone wants to make money :y Pretty sure that pre-dates the invention of the computer..
As the joke might start... Who came first? The hooker or the barman?
Onanists always think outside the box.

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 March 2019, 13:29:34 »

These mechanism were quite simple to begin with but as they could be broken with a little bit of computing power hackers now sell tools to bypass them on a unit basis.  In essence they have become a commodity whereby the cost per broken captcha is worth X units of computing power @ Y USD.  Thus they increase the complexity and change the scoring to try and make it cost-ineffective to break and affect the hackers business plan.

The user is caught in the middle.

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 March 2019, 13:38:52 »

A major problem for me is that the pictures are often quite fuzzy, so there might be a traffic light/spider/bicycle/store front/small boy somewhere in the background that is completely invisible to my aged eyes, at least I assume this is why so many hours have been wasted trying to verify successfully. >:(

aaronjb

« Reply #15 on: 19 March 2019, 14:20:03 »

A major problem for me is that the pictures are often quite fuzzy, so there might be a traffic light/spider/bicycle/store front/small boy somewhere in the background that is completely invisible to my aged eyes, at least I assume this is why so many hours have been wasted trying to verify successfully. >:(

Hold Ctrl and press the + key, several times. Everything will get bigger, pictures included, in most browsers :)

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 19 March 2019, 14:27:53 »

Had a new one yesterday , spot the pictures with Mountains in them , wonder when they'll show pictures with actual robots in them  ;D

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 19 March 2019, 15:36:42 »

Had a new one yesterday , spot the pictures with Mountains in them , wonder when they'll show pictures with actual robots in them  ;D

Me too. :-X

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 March 2019, 17:08:48 »

Should you still be driving?  Take an eye test quick! :D :D :D :D ;)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 19 March 2019, 21:24:47 »

Its a necessary evil, hence we use a simple system here as well.  Although the system we use probably blocks 99.99% of robotic attempts to spam, a fair few still get through.  If we were to be actively targeted this percentage of blocks would drop, and number of attempts would increase.

You have to accept that where there is money to be made - be it a link in a spam message, or attempts to steal private data, or just target an individual - people will try to exploit it. Because of the small sums made for each click through, it makes sense to automate, so if you get 0.001p per click through, that can be significant if you can get it on hundreds of pages across 100,000 sites....
Grumpy old man

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 March 2019, 22:26:57 »

Its a necessary evil, hence we use a simple system here as well.  Although the system we use probably blocks 99.99% of robotic attempts to spam, a fair few still get through.  If we were to be actively targeted this percentage of blocks would drop, and number of attempts would increase.

You have to accept that where there is money to be made - be it a link in a spam message, or attempts to steal private data, or just target an individual - people will try to exploit it. Because of the small sums made for each click through, it makes sense to automate, so if you get 0.001p per click through, that can be significant if you can get it on hundreds of pages across 100,000 sites....

So for all my 'clicks through' on these verify quizzes, I can get paid as well? Excellent. :y

aaronjb

« Reply #21 on: 20 March 2019, 09:00:03 »

Your cheque from Google will be in the mail..
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 21 queries.