Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Bloody houses .. and builders!  (Read 4744 times)

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: Bloody houses .. and builders!
« Reply #15 on: 12 September 2019, 08:34:30 »

Not MY work
looks very DIY
get a bathroom cabinet  or mirror for the wall and a mat for the floor  ;D
not worth making a claim on insurance  IMHO

20 years ago I would have agreed, all to often now I see the DIY quality better than the pros!  :-[ :-[

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 September 2019, 08:36:58 »

I'd have thought it would be just as easy to trowel on a nice bed of adhesive with a notched trowel than dot & dab like that?  :-\

The 'dabs' looking bloody thick, me thinks its an attempt to save adhesive (or avoid correcting the wall before application)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 September 2019, 09:16:51 »

I'd have thought it would be just as easy to trowel on a nice bed of adhesive with a notched trowel than dot & dab like that?  :-\

The 'dabs' looking bloody thick, me thinks its an attempt to save adhesive (or avoid correcting the wall before application)

They are big tiles so maybe you are right there, although Aaron said that the extension was built in 2012.  :-\

Maybe there are bigger issues lurking underneath those tiles and Aaron has a jerry built extension.  :-X  ::)

Sorry Aaron!   ::)  :-[  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

aaronjb

« Reply #18 on: 12 September 2019, 09:39:16 »

They are big tiles so maybe you are right there, although Aaron said that the extension was built in 2012.  :-\

Maybe there are bigger issues lurking underneath those tiles and Aaron has a jerry built extension.  :-X  ::)

Sorry Aaron!   ::)  :-[  ;D

Wouldn't surprise me given some of the bodges we've found in the new part of the house - and all in things there are "professional" receipts for (like the bathroom, the wiring, the plumbing... so basically everything, really!) :/ But yeah, I'd hope the wall didn't need correcting as it's a brand new stud wall in the brand new extension!

But yep - it wasn't a DIY job, which is probably why it's all done wrong (sorry Dave! ;D).

May just call the house insurance people and let them deal with it and rape me later.. (they already do that plenty because the rest of the house was underpinned in 1989 - as was half the street)

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 September 2019, 09:43:23 »

The dabs look more like cement. Are they really tile adhesive?

aaronjb

« Reply #20 on: 12 September 2019, 09:54:44 »

Not actually sure how I'd tell .. but good point. You can certainly tell the tile wasn't stuck on very well as it left very, very little of its 'backing' behind when it fell off.

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 September 2019, 10:21:14 »

Not MY work
looks very DIY
get a bathroom cabinet  or mirror for the wall and a mat for the floor  ;D
not worth making a claim on insurance  IMHO
Of course it's worth making a claim, that's what insurance is for. Any decent builder is gonna need ten grand to sort that lot out.  ;D
Even IF the claims assessor dropped on a nice 21 Y/o hottie and emptied both balls that day ,and decided to pay out  :P surely the only liability is to "make good " ,so miss matched tile  ???
"Any decent builder" would advise ripping all the tile off and starting again ,then get a tiler in after demo.then return to refit and collect very large wad of cash  ;D
looks like RAPIDSET ,which is fine IF you comb a bed on the wall and butter the back of the tile

seems to be some confusion here about the difference between builder and cowboy (professional with headed bill or DIY cowboy)  ;D

and I agree entirely that some DIY jobs are done very well by homeowners who care and have no time constraints  :)

green plasterboard (Moisture Resistant) , so probably a builder did that part, screwed ,so is it a stud wall  :-\ or a battened brick wall  :-\ , which builders tend not to do (dot n dab in cheap ,easy ,effective) unless the wall needs correcting back to vertical,  WWS (wonkey wall syndrome/subsidence)   :P
« Last Edit: 12 September 2019, 10:33:58 by dave the builder »

aaronjb

« Reply #22 on: 12 September 2019, 10:33:37 »

seems to be some confusion here about the difference between builder and cowboy (professional with headed bill or DIY cowboy)  ;D

The confusion arises because, like any trade, you can't tell the two apart until after they've done the job .. and then, what they've done is all hidden behind something else  :P

Oh yes, and the insurance advises me this isn't covered under the house insurance so .. guess I'll be redoing the bathroom myself.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 September 2019, 10:35:58 »

Putting my two penny worth in......................I have done some tiling in my time.............................

Looking at the picture it seems to me, although I do not think anyone else has said it, that the 'adhesive' - whatever it really is - has been built up with massive dabs to raise the tiles so they are a good 1/2 inch away from the actual wall, so there is a cavity way beyond 'normal' behind the tiles. Why? ??? ???

Was it deliberate or a result of mis-calculation of where the other wall tiles would come up to to overall match the shower tray dimensions below? ??? ??? ::) ::)

Just an observation, but to have dabs like that, instead of the usual practice of smoothing the adhesive out to a thin layer that actually aids adhesion and gives the tiles strength is all wrong as was bound to fail. It strikes me that it is amazing no tiles have actually cracked lower down where anyone in the shower, especially big people, (or two!! ::) ::) 8) 8)) naturally push against the tiles / wall. ;)

« Last Edit: 12 September 2019, 10:37:43 by Lizzie Zoom »

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 September 2019, 10:48:05 »

The confusion arises because, like any trade, you can't tell the two apart until after they've done the job .. and then, what they've done is all hidden behind something else  :P

Oh yes, and the insurance advises me this isn't covered under the house insurance so .. guess I'll be redoing the bathroom myself.
sorry for your loss of time and money  :(
unless you like DIY  :-\ it may be better to just get a local tiler in (you pick the tile and supply materials, on a price per meter basis) and stick to your day job .

but you know if you like DIY etc , and want to do it  :-\

Putting my two penny worth in......................I have done some tiling in my time.............................

Looking at the picture it seems to me, although I do not think anyone else has said it, that the 'adhesive' - whatever it really is - has been built up with massive dabs to raise the tiles so they are a good 1/2 inch away from the actual wall, so there is a cavity way beyond 'normal' behind the tiles. Why? ??? ???

Was it deliberate or a result of mis-calculation of where the other wall tiles would come up to to overall match the shower tray dimensions below? ??? ??? ::) ::)

Just an observation, but to have dabs like that, instead of the usual practice of smoothing the adhesive out to a thin layer that actually aids adhesion and gives the tiles strength is all wrong as was bound to fail. It strikes me that it is amazing no tiles have actually cracked lower down where anyone in the shower, especially big people, (or two!! ::) ::) 8) 8)) naturally push against the tiles / wall. ;)

It's RAPIDSET adhesive, was probably going off (hence no adhesion to the dry powdery back of the tile) so thick, the bottom tile are probably well stuck, but by the time they got to the top,the mix got thicker, and deeper blobs needed to correct the level .  ???

with rapidset, you need to get the tile on pronto

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 12 September 2019, 10:57:26 »

unless you like DIY  :-\ it may be better to just get a local tiler in (you pick the tile and supply materials, on a price per meter basis) and stick to your day job .

It's RAPIDSET adhesive, was probably going off (hence no adhesion to the dry powdery back of the tile) so thick, the bottom tile are probably well stuck, but by the time they got to the top,the mix got thicker, and deeper blobs needed to correct the level .  ???

with rapidset, you need to get the tile on pronto

Thanks Dave, I think I understand then why they left so much of a gap behind the tiles - a bodge?! ::) ::) :D ;)

aaronjb

« Reply #26 on: 12 September 2019, 11:04:54 »

I bloody hate DIY ;D the trouble is finding someone you trust .. I do know a good plasterer, who might well know a good tiler :y

To add insult to injury the Range Rover just failed the MOT, so that's £600 for a new alternator (which failed last week), £300 to fix the door lock (which failed THIS BLOODY MORNING!) and an advisory because both offside tyres have picked up nails, the nearside has a cut in the sidewall and the rear brake pipes need replacing before the next MOT. Oh and the wheel bearing and rear control arms are also advisories.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm just going to set light to some £10 notes.

Allenm

• Milton Keynes
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 12 September 2019, 11:18:24 »

Given that you have receipts for the work, and it has clearly been done incorrectly, then I would be making a claim against the trade-persons insurance.  That work is not of serviceable quality

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 12 September 2019, 11:30:27 »

I wonder with the variation in temperatures in a bathroom, condensation has been forming in the air gap behind those tiles, which has weakened the adhesive?  :-\
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 12 September 2019, 11:38:08 »

To add insult to injury the Range Rover just failed the MOT, so that's £600 for a new alternator (which failed last week), £300 to fix the door lock (which failed THIS BLOODY MORNING!) and an advisory because both offside tyres have picked up nails, the nearside has a cut in the sidewall and the rear brake pipes need replacing before the next MOT. Oh and the wheel bearing and rear control arms are also advisories.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm just going to set light to some £10 notes.
This happened to my parents' P38 and the completely serious advice from Shukers Land Rover in Shrewsbury was to cut the whole door off and replace it.  ::)

I rather feel that owning a JLR product is a bit like getting on a Ryanair flight - you knew what the deal was when you signed up. Although arguably "Land Rover - Above & beyond " is snappier than "Land Rover - I'm just going to set light to some £10 notes"  ;D
« Last Edit: 12 September 2019, 11:49:54 by jimmy944 »
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.