Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Got a set of jump leads in the car now!  (Read 1070 times)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
Got a set of jump leads in the car now!
« on: 26 July 2007, 10:10:48 »

So am out for a drive with the ladies in the car including the 84 year old mother in law. It is a hot day. We visit loads of shops and stuff. Air con on full - it is 34 deg C.

Stop later at the motorway services and go to set off. Car wouldn't start. Dull click, lights go off on dash board. Up with the bonnet. My god the heat.  Couldn't see anything wrong. Decided to ring the breakdown people (all Spanish car insurance includes compulsary breakdown recovery). We don't have a mobile phone so go to use the payphone. It was out of order.

Back at the car , after a coffee, the parts were cool enough to do some faulting. Positive leads loose to battery. Tightened up. Still wouldn't start. Back into the petrol station and £7 later came out with jump leads. A guy pulls up alongside in an old peugot 106 and it started.  

Now got THREE pairs of jump leads so will carry a pair in future. Hope Tunnie didn't throw his out!  

olive
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Darth Loo-knee

• Omega Queen
  • Death Star
  • Jammie smells of Pooh....
    • TIE Fighter
    • View Profile
Re: Got a set of jump leads in the car now!
« Reply #1 on: 26 July 2007, 13:05:22 »

So am out for a drive with the ladies in the car including the 84 year old mother in law. It is a hot day. We visit loads of shops and stuff. Air con on full - it is 34 deg C.

Stop later at the motorway services and go to set off. Car wouldn't start. Dull click, lights go off on dash board. Up with the bonnet. My god the heat.  Couldn't see anything wrong. Decided to ring the breakdown people (all Spanish car insurance includes compulsary breakdown recovery). We don't have a mobile phone so go to use the payphone. It was out of order.

Back at the car , after a coffee, the parts were cool enough to do some faulting. Positive leads loose to battery. Tightened up. Still wouldn't start. Back into the petrol station and £7 later came out with jump leads. A guy pulls up alongside in an old peugot 106 and it started.  

Now got THREE pairs of jump leads so will carry a pair in future. Hope Tunnie didn't throw his out!  

olive
Excellent well done :y

Don't leave home without them ;)
« Last Edit: 26 July 2007, 13:05:48 by Loo-knee »
Everything to do with Omega's. Breaking, Servicing from Cambelts to Oil Changes... Please Pm me for details...

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 July 2007, 13:08:55 »

Modern batteries seem to fail with little warning. I'm not sure if it's down to the batteries or the amount of load they have to supply in a modern car. Either way, jump leads are essential, especially on an auto!

Last battery I had failed in the same way. Stopped for fuel, got back in. Click <alarm goes off>.

Got a jump start, drove to Halfords and bought a new battery!

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26 July 2007, 18:19:49 »

I always carry heavy duty, long jump leads in MV6.  Often carry one of those portable jumpstart battery things as well....
Grumpy old man

Dave-C

• Omega Knight
  • Staffordshire
  • The Old Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 July 2007, 19:34:23 »

Just a point,  if you buy a new battery from VX, carry your receipt... they'll replace your battery at any European if it goes faulty within the guarantee period....

The price is also reasonable...

Had a Ford (Motorcraft) battery once..  started giving a few probs 2 weeks before end of guarantee, got a new one from them lasted another 3 years...  6 for the price of 3.... :) :) :) :)
Do it right, do it once................
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.