Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 101   Go Down

Author Topic: Bus nostalgia  (Read 217512 times)

splott

• Omega Knight
  • Bebington, The Wirral
  • Veccy with a Miggy engine..............
    • Vectra GSI 3.2 v6
    • View Profile
Re: Bus nostalgia
« Reply #75 on: 15 March 2010, 23:15:35 »

Had the privilege of working on one of that type of Buses when I was an apprentise  ;) although they do remind me of On the Buses ;D

I still have every episode, including the B/W ones, and the three movies, brilliant.
A bit of useless info, the actress who played the mother, Doris Hare, (not Ceclily Courtlidge, who only played 'mam in the 1st series) went to school with my grandmother, St Gwladys School Bargoed.
'On the buses' was filmed using Eastern National's Wood Green depot.

The earlier series (with red-liveried buses) featured Bristol KSW5Gs with lowbridge ECW open-platform bodies.
Later episodes (green-liveried buses) featured late-model Bristol Lodekka FLF6LXs, whose usual domain was ENOC's flagship London-Southend service.
Splendid vehicles with semi-automatic transmissions.
 :y

Found this:-
[/img]

And this from Wiki :-
THE BUSES
The red "Town & District" buses were Bristol KSWs with Eastern Coachworks bodies. These were ex Eastern National. Stan and Jack's "regular" bus appeared to be VNO 857.

The Green "Luxton & District" buses were Bristol Lodekkas with bodywork by Eastern Coach Works of Lowestoft. In reality these were Eastern National buses (in some episodes buses could be seen with Eastern National on the side), although as mentioned earlier, some of those in the interior depot shots were in fact "dummy" buses. Some "dummy" buses were real single deck buses with a wooden frame on top, such as in the episode Series 3 Episode Radio Control, when the bus has crashed into the bridge. The most commonly used bus in the series was AVW 399F.

The open top bus in 'Holiday on the Buses was XFM 229, a Bristol LD new to Crosville Motor Services.

The bus at the safari park in 'Mutiny on the Buses' was NRN 607, a Leyland Atlantean/Metro Cammell, new to Ribble Motor Services.

Thank you for reading this. I’ve officially wasted your time!

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
  • If there's a 'system' - play it ... !
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 16 March 2010, 10:10:27 »

Had the privilege of working on one of that type of Buses when I was an apprentise  ;) although they do remind me of On the Buses ;D

I still have every episode, including the B/W ones, and the three movies, brilliant.
A bit of useless info, the actress who played the mother, Doris Hare, (not Ceclily Courtlidge, who only played 'mam in the 1st series) went to school with my grandmother, St Gwladys School Bargoed.
'On the buses' was filmed using Eastern National's Wood Green depot.

The earlier series (with red-liveried buses) featured Bristol KSW5Gs with lowbridge ECW open-platform bodies.
Later episodes (green-liveried buses) featured late-model Bristol Lodekka FLF6LXs, whose usual domain was ENOC's flagship London-Southend service.
Splendid vehicles with semi-automatic transmissions.

Found this:-
[/img]

And this from Wiki :-
THE BUSES
The red "Town & District" buses were Bristol KSWs with Eastern Coachworks bodies. These were ex Eastern National. Stan and Jack's "regular" bus appeared to be VNO 857.

The Green "Luxton & District" buses were Bristol Lodekkas with bodywork by Eastern Coach Works of Lowestoft. In reality these were Eastern National buses (in some episodes buses could be seen with Eastern National on the side), although as mentioned earlier, some of those in the interior depot shots were in fact "dummy" buses. Some "dummy" buses were real single deck buses with a wooden frame on top, such as in the episode Series 3 Episode Radio Control, when the bus has crashed into the bridge. The most commonly used bus in the series was AVW 399F.

The open top bus in 'Holiday on the Buses was XFM 229, a Bristol LD new to Crosville Motor Services.

The bus at the safari park in 'Mutiny on the Buses' was NRN 607, a Leyland Atlantean/Metro Cammell, new to Ribble Motor Services.

Yes indeed, Ribble and the associated Standerwick company built-up a sizeable fleet of these.

Christened 'Gay Hostesses' by the company, they were put into service on their Lancashire-London express services.
The chassis also featured air suspension, the higher-powered 0.680 engine, (as opposed to the usual 0.600), and higher-ratio diffs.
Outwardly similar vehicles of a lower spec were used on their substantial 'limited stop' service network.
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

splott

• Omega Knight
  • Bebington, The Wirral
    • Vectra GSI 3.2 v6
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 16 March 2010, 10:22:09 »

Can you equate to the reg mumbers in any way. Is there a way of tracing them :-? :-?

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 16 March 2010, 10:28:08 »

Can you equate to the reg mumbers in any way. Is there a way of tracing them :-? :-?
I'd imagine that the PSV Circle would have comprehensive records.
Or the Ribble Preservation Trust possibly.
Gettin' seriously hacked-off by those who ignore the wisdom of proven experience ... and Forum guidelines.

splott

• Omega Knight
  • Bebington, The Wirral
    • Vectra GSI 3.2 v6
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 16 March 2010, 10:34:22 »

Just thought that you may be able to trace those buses, see if they are still going. :y

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 16 March 2010, 10:36:57 »

:y[/quote]
IIRC this was in fact the comparatively rare 30' LDL variant.
Was the location Butlins at Pwllheli, or Pontins at Prestatyn?
 ;)

splott

• Omega Knight
  • Bebington, The Wirral
    • Vectra GSI 3.2 v6
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 16 March 2010, 10:46:07 »

;)
[/quote]
FM reg, the bus has got to have come from Chester, so could be either :-/ :-/

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 16 March 2010, 10:53:34 »

;)
[/quote]

It was Pontins at Prestatyn

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 16 March 2010, 10:54:57 »

FM reg, the bus has got to have come from Chester, so could be either :-/ :-/
[/quote]
That's correct mate!
Crosville, like many of the big concerns pursued a policy of registering it's buses centrally at head office (Chester).

Similarly, Western Welsh registered all it's new buses at Cardiff (with BO, KG or UH).
However, our associated Rhondda Transport registered it's deliveries with Glamorgan suffixes (NY, TG or TX). RTC being based at Porth.
« Last Edit: 16 March 2010, 10:55:59 by Reliance505 »

alunonhisown

« Reply #84 on: 16 March 2010, 11:17:05 »

Merthyr Council buses were registered withthe local HB, as in HB 1 which is still on the Mayor's limosine. I remember The late Tony Hart painting a car and he put HB1 on the car he painted, (Hart Beat 1) and the BBC were forced to offer an apology.

Sixstring

• Omega Baron
  • Lydney, Gloucestershire
  • Its just GOTTA be a big V6. Mmm....NOS........
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 16 March 2010, 12:32:54 »

Can you really remember that???

Bristol's mayor has "AE1" on his official car, but my uncle has AE2,AE4,and AE6, but unfortunately AE5 was written off and disposed of before the plate could be transferred off of it. Dunno what became of AE5, they were originally all on Bristol milkfloats owned by Unigate I was told.
Self confessed Electro-Mechanical nut, Guitarist/Singer and Motorcyclist. Drives an estate due to all the equipment he has to carry,Electrickery fiddler who loves Automatics and BIG Vee engines.

Seth

• Omega Lord
  • South Wales Valleys
    • '99 2.5TD GLS Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 16 March 2010, 13:17:40 »

Try looking at these:

http://www.rvpt.org/standerwick-25.htm

http://www.rvpt.org/p1.htm

« Last Edit: 16 March 2010, 13:20:07 by Reliance505 »

splott

• Omega Knight
  • Bebington, The Wirral
    • Vectra GSI 3.2 v6
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 16 March 2010, 15:35:01 »

Try looking at these:

http://www.rvpt.org/standerwick-25.htm

http://www.rvpt.org/p1.htm

An old yellow Wallesey Corp Bus in the front, followed by a Birkenhead Corp Bus  :y
[/img]

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 16 March 2010, 15:40:46 »

If I remember, I will get some pics of the buses at the heritage centre at the weekend

alunonhisown

« Reply #89 on: 16 March 2010, 15:42:00 »

I just looked at that pic, and some were taken in FRECKLETON. Now that brings back memories because my grandparents lived in Freckleton and I lived with them for a short while.
My grandad was Steward of Freckleton Sports and Social club, and my grandmother was warden of Naze court. I dragged an unconsious lady out of her flat in Croft Court one sunday morning as her flat was on fire, got a mention in local paper for that.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 101   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.