Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Oil Cooler Crowsfoot....  (Read 3306 times)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Oil Cooler Crowsfoot....
« on: 19 June 2019, 15:36:04 »

Simple, but specific question...

Which type of crowsfoot spanner will work on undoing the oil cooler unions at the oil filter?

Any?

Open 'flat ended'...
Flare spanner end?...
'8' or '16' sided?

Really dont want to go ordering a set to then discover I can't get enough turn on an 8 sided, or the flare type won't fit in the gap, etc...

Ta in advance  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Cooler Crowsfoot....
« Reply #1 on: 19 June 2019, 15:46:47 »

Stubby adjustable  :y

Once cracked free, they should unscrew with finger power...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 June 2019, 17:17:27 »

Wow. That surprised me. I thought it was 'gospel' they had to be crowsfoot and nothing else would go in, no ifs no buts. So any 19mm so long as it'll fit inside is good, be that an old spanner hacksawed to fit, or whatever, I guess?
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2019, 18:11:04 »

Wow. That surprised me. I thought it was 'gospel' they had to be crowsfoot and nothing else would go in, no ifs no buts. So any 19mm so long as it'll fit inside is good, be that an old spanner hacksawed to fit, or whatever, I guess?
A thinner spanner will obviously work better, say 4-5 mm thick.

A deep offset ring spanner with a slot to clear the pipes or a thinned 19 with the handle bent or cut to suit... Just to give a couple of ideas.

I lopped a 16mm offset ring to liberate the passenger side engine mount... Still serves its original purpose but I have to use a socket and extension bar or a hammer to liberate the tighter bolts.  :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2019, 19:06:32 »

Nice to see adapting is a viable option.

I think my only 'spare' 19mm is a donkeys years old but lovely Elora, and I might cry if I hacked that up haha. I may well end up going down the route of buying one if nothing appears that I can butcher/i don't see anything at the car boot sale at the weekend.

On the one hand it makes sense to buy a set of crowsfoot spanners, but at the same time, if I find myself never using any, save the 19mm...once, well I'm just wasting money and tool drawer space.

I've just never found I needed one in all my life tinkering on cars, have I just been lucky?

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 June 2019, 19:33:26 »

I think my only 'spare' 19mm is a donkeys years old but lovely Elora, and I might cry if I hacked that up haha. I may well end up going down the route of buying one if nothing appears that I can butcher/i don't see anything at the car boot sale at the weekend.

On the one hand it makes sense to buy a set of crowsfoot spanners, but at the same time, if I find myself never using any, save the 19mm...once, well I'm just wasting money and tool drawer space.

I've just never found I needed one in all my life tinkering on cars, have I just been lucky?

Remember there's only a few thou difference between a 19mm & a 3/4" AF  :y

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 June 2019, 19:40:09 »

Remember there's only a few thou difference between a 19mm & a 3/4" AF  :y
[/highlight]
Wot he said. :y  19mm is .748" and 3/4" is .750". :D

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 June 2019, 20:18:48 »

Let the old battered britool AF spanners I haven't used since I was about 9yrs old come out to play!!

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 June 2019, 20:43:32 »

In 32 years, I've needed one once. And I cut the end off an 11mm spanner then welded a cheap 1/4" extension to the remains which meant I just had room to remove and refit a Yak18 air compressor.

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 June 2019, 21:02:40 »

When I needed one to do my oil cooler I bought a set of half a dozen[a range of sizes]off E-bay for just over £6 inc. posting.They just looked like the ends of spanners with a square hole for a ratchet/ratchet extension to fit into.For the price it wasn't worth messing about converting another tool to do the job.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 June 2019, 22:32:50 »

There's a nice set I've seen of Draper Expert, owning a socket made by them I think they're cracking value for the high quality of the tool, a ton nicer-finished than Sealey which is about the same price.

...but...

I think we're pretty much set on the fact they'll not get the use. So its either a super-cheapy set, as per Mr BazaJT, save faffing making one, or as has been suggested elsewhere, dig out a surplus spanner and send it to meet Mr Angle Grinder.  :y

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 June 2019, 22:33:24 »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SIEGEN-S0866-CROWS-FOOT-SPANNER-SET-OPEN-END-3-8-METRIC-10-PIECE-MADE-BY-SEALEY/161527373141?epid=681172462&hash=item259bc81d55:g:qIMAAOSwONBZAl0u

I have a cheap set that like Baza bought for the oil cooler pipe and was going to suggest lending it to you, but by the time we'd faffed around with postage and what not....  ;D
« Last Edit: 19 June 2019, 22:35:24 by Sir Tigger QC »
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 19 June 2019, 22:45:42 »

Haha, oh youre a gent!

I've been looking at sets like that.

Siegen are (so legend has it) the same make as Halfords Pro, who I've always been plenty happy with quality-wise.

« Last Edit: 19 June 2019, 22:52:40 by Diamond Black Geezer »

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 20 June 2019, 13:45:00 »

The key thing with the oil cooler pipes is to use something that acts such that it maintains the shape of the hex fitting, gripping on just two sides, on one that is tight (and I have seen some that are F-tight) it distorts the fitting pretty badly.

Crows foots allow you a cheap means to do this and you can use a big ish bar on them if needed

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 June 2019, 13:53:43 »

The key thing with the oil cooler pipes is to use something that acts such that it maintains the shape of the hex fitting, gripping on just two sides, on one that is tight (and I have seen some that are F-tight) it distorts the fitting pretty badly.

Crows foots allow you a cheap means to do this and you can use a big ish bar on them if needed

Crow's foot act on just two side too  :-\

Did you mean flare nut spanner?
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.