Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ticking noise from manifold  (Read 894 times)

106rallye

• Glasgow
    • View Profile
ticking noise from manifold
« on: 14 September 2007, 23:47:48 »

hey

there has been a ticking noise coming from the manifold for the last few years (before i owned it), it started off only being heard when cold, but now it does it all this time, I've been told different things by different people, some say it a cracked manifold, some say its just the gasket. has anyone experienced this problem first hand? i dont want to have to buy a manifold if it isnt needed but at the same time i dont want to take it apart and not have all the parts needed.

Also i remember seeing a guide on how to remove the manifold (its a MV6) but ive searched everywhere for it n cant find the past, does anyone know where it is? thanks

R
sideways is the way forward!

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
Re: ticking noise from manifold
« Reply #1 on: 15 September 2007, 00:00:29 »

Assuming it's the exhaust m,manifold, it could be leaking gasket, cracked manifold, broken stud, or stripped thread. I think TaxiDriver has some more experience with this...
Alas, no more Omegas....

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #2 on: 15 September 2007, 07:21:24 »

As MJ says could be any of the things he mentions....you could take the heatshields off and carefully look for hairline cracks on the manifold.

Tho i think your only going to discover if its gasket, cracked manifold or snapped studs when you actually take it off.

My prob is on my 2.2 which is a doddle to remove, however a v6 esp if its passenger side, i suspect is gonna more tricky  :-/

Dazzler

• Omega Baron
  • Haverhill, Suffolk
  • Drive it like you stole it......
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 September 2007, 07:37:40 »

They are tricky to remove but that is the only way your going to find out. Mine has turned out to be the gaskets.
Big jobbies now finished.....Now running on LPG

Mike Collins

• North of Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15 September 2007, 07:53:54 »

V6 driver's side is manageable but time consuming. I changed mine a little while back, it was just the gasket, allow most of a day.
The hardest part I found was removing the coolant pipe that runs to the rear of the block. Even with the scuttle removed it is very hard to see and feel the mounting screws behind the engine.
It was necessary to remove or reposition the heat shield over the steering box to  increase clearance for some purpose I can't quite remember.
I was lucky and all the manifold nuts either came the studs, or the studs themselves came out. It's probably best to fit all new nuts, they are brass and intentionally distorted to lock.
You will need at least; manifold nuts, M6 from memory. Downpipe nuts, M8.
Manifold gasket, should be later metal type. Downpipe joint gasket. O ring for coolant pipe at back of block.
Soak every nut with proper penetrating oil, plus gas or similar and expect to separate cat to silencer joint. I found angle grinder and then drill/retap threads in cat the easiest way. M8 studding and nuts for reassembly.

At least it's not the passenger side.

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 September 2007, 09:36:23 »

It's usually the manifold gasket at the back - and virtually impossible to pinpoint until you take the manifold off.

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 September 2007, 09:44:27 »

The search tool is a bit poor.

I have eventually tracked down the post you need. I wrote it but the only way I could find it was searching for the part number of an exhaust manifold stud!!!

It's here:

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1188414389/6#6

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 September 2007, 10:10:42 »

Generally, if its a V6 it will be gasket.  If its a 2.0l/2.2l it could be either the gasket or the manifold cracked (cracked manifolds seem rarer on v6)...
Grumpy old man

The Barge Captain

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
  • Back in the land of the economicaly active
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 September 2007, 14:04:28 »

All sounds terribly familier. :(
Thou art no more an angel filled with light, but a leech to be abhorred and thou shalt suffer my burning will...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.