Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: False low screen wash level message  (Read 3836 times)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: False low screen wash level message
« Reply #15 on: 30 January 2016, 18:44:29 »

2000 PFL 2.5 petrol manual CDX estate
This car often displays low screen wash level, thought the tank is nearly full. How do I rectify this?

Did my MFL 2.5 V6 CDX with bumper on  :y  Remove grille and sensor on passenger side and pushes into big rubber grommet.  Was a bit of a fiddle and fingers in right place, but definately done with bumper on  ;D  Make sure you put back in the right way up !

New sensor was a few quid  :y, and ways bugged me as it always seemed to have the habit of warning you on the display of "Low Washer Level" just as the last squirt went on the screen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr >:( >:( >:( >:(
Its mostly likely possible (well, definitely possible - you did it!) with bumper on. But as bumper removal is 5 mins (assuming screws in the wheelarches are OK), its quicker to pop bumper off :)
Grumpy old man

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 31 January 2016, 12:28:01 »

This car is PFL, early shape. I removed the bumper, and found the level sensor, as Al said, entering the (passenger) side of tank, blue connector. It came out easily. I checked in my spares heap and found the tank I saved off my Opel 2.5 MFL saloon, and the level sensor was at the back, as in RobG's picture. I took it out, same part and part no. as the failed sensor. I checked both with continuity meter and they both switched OK. The old float was a bit mossy, so I cleaned it. I tested it in water, and in less dense neat Opticlean, and floated in both. I conclude it was probably just in need of a clean, but anyway I put in the ex-Opel sensor.

The screenwash flow on this car is not so vigorous as my other Omegas. Is there a filter somewhere that I might clean, while bumper is off, to improve matters?

Thanks for all the help, Haynes seems unaware of the sensor.

Bumper off in 5 minutes, not this one. All went well until I pulled the bumper forward a bit, and found it restrained by by attachments both sides near the wing, only visible from below. N/s was a nut on a bracket, o/s was a cable tie. Haynes does not mention these.

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 31 January 2016, 12:44:48 »

screenwash flow on this car is not so vigorous as my other Omegas. Is there a filter somewhere
Pull the pump out and clean
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31 January 2016, 13:25:27 »

screenwash flow on this car is not so vigorous as my other Omegas. Is there a filter somewhere
Pull the pump out and clean
Then pull the grommet out of the tank & clean the attached filter.
Also - stick a hose in the tank while the filters are out and flush the pond life out.
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31 January 2016, 16:03:04 »

Thanks for advice. Have pulled out the pump, and the grommet, but found no filter. I can push a hose around the tank, nothing in the way. In attached pic there is something behind the pump inlet with 2 pipes attached, might be a valve for washing front or rear screen, might be a filter. There only 2 wires going to the pump so I don't see how the valve can be actuated. Is it a filter? Does it pull off the pump?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l4nb76gtyevywe2/washerPUMP2.50%25.jpg?dl=0

05omegav6

« Reply #20 on: 31 January 2016, 16:41:19 »

Thanks for advice. Have pulled out the pump, and the grommet, but found no filter. I can push a hose around the tank, nothing in the way. In attached pic there is something behind the pump inlet with 2 pipes attached, might be a valve for washing front or rear screen, might be a filter. There only 2 wires going to the pump so I don't see how the valve can be actuated. Is it a filter? Does it pull off the pump?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l4nb76gtyevywe2/washerPUMP2.50%25.jpg?dl=0
Pump with two hoses coming from it is the screen one with the filter :y

Paddy Flannery

• Intermediate Member
  • Hertford, Hertfordshire
    • 2003 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31 January 2016, 17:33:45 »

I believe the wee grommet is the filter. The bottom and sides of the grommet should have tiny holes. Any debris, sludge can be washed off and then pop it back in the washer bottle, making sure it's back in snug to avoid leaks and then push the pump back in. Fill with your chosen screen wash and water mix and give the screen a skoosh ! :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31 January 2016, 18:55:59 »

The grommet/seal for the screen washer pump should have an integrated "filter" as part of the rubber moulding. This is what you need to clean.
Grumpy old man

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 February 2016, 17:41:38 »

Thanks again. You will see my confusion in the attached pic. The grommet with the open end is off the car with the poor flow. The grommet with the closed end from the GL I scrapped in October.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/w1k1z77dw1wjbj0/FILTER50%25.jpg?dl=0
Problem now is what is the cause of the poor flow. My hunch is pond life from the tank has passed unfiltered from the tank and clogged the jets. Or might the pump be blocked? I have a spare pump!

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 February 2016, 18:01:49 »

Ah, yes, some numpty has chopped the bottom off.
Grumpy old man

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02 February 2016, 11:03:18 »

Ugh!! That would do it!!!

Yes, poor flow definitely looks likely to be down to this. Ok, here's a fairly stinky answer... Vinegar. I put a couple of pints of white distilled vinegar in my washer fluid for a period of a few days/week. It's brilliant at dissolving, among other things, limescale.  :y

Thing is, whatever the blockage, it needs dissolving somehow, as simply 'blowing it through' will never clear it unless it can get past the very fine jets nozzles. (alternatively write the jets off, bin and replace with new/good second hand.)

I've done it with mine, and although in truth not much improvement, one jet was a little weak, and all now squirt like a good un! Your car smells like a fish n chips shop for a few days, that's all. A good flush through with hose pipe/couple of old pop bottles of water to finish.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02 February 2016, 11:07:20 »

It's also nice to know whatever sediment or gunk is coating the inside of your tank and pipes has also been dissolved and removed from the system.  :)

Just had another thought, you could pop your jets off, leave them in a jam jar full of vinegar for a few days, then try them. Depends what your budget is, new jet £20, white vinegar 39p.

Vinegar's great because it won't eat plastic or rubber, which other chemical cleaners will.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

05omegav6

« Reply #27 on: 02 February 2016, 12:54:02 »

New are less than a fiver each ::)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 February 2016, 13:35:13 »

Heated jets?

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 February 2016, 19:56:00 »

Thanks for advice. Not quite sure how to pop off the washer nozzle. Looks like it come in from above and are is retained by 2 tongues. I have unclipped the cable, but the hose is still attached, and it looks tricky to remove, and to replace.
It would be much easier on the scuttle, where I see alternative mounts.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.