Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: door mirrors  (Read 4164 times)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
door mirrors
« on: 01 February 2016, 10:02:44 »

theres a crack appeared overnight on my door mirror (suspect neighbours son cutting across drive with a bike) I have a pair of wing mirrors , but on an 02 plate elite are they more compact than other versions, & will they fit anyway  :-\

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: door mirrors
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2016, 10:09:32 »

Any Omega door mirror will bolt on to any other Omega  :y (assuming it's the correct side  ;) )

As borne out by my spares car (PFL) being fitted with FL door mirrors  :)

Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2016, 10:34:53 »

Is it the mirror or the glass thats cracked,I replaced my broken glass with a stick on replacement.

Paddy Flannery

• Intermediate Member
  • Hertford, Hertfordshire
    • 2003 2.6 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2016, 10:58:25 »

If it's just the glass that's cracked, then try...... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Right-Driver-Wide-Angle-Wing-mirror-glass-Vauxhall-Omega-00-03-heat-/290944465788?hash=item43bda43b7c. The nearside one is also listed from the same seller. £13 delivered. 5 mins to fit.

I replaced mine with one from this seller. Simply a case of gently unclipping the damaged one, unclipping the spade connector, refitting the spade connector to the new part and then gently clicking it into place.

Mine was a very good replacement. It fitted well, and adjusts & heats just like the original.  :y

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 February 2016, 11:59:06 »

Is it the mirror or the glass thats cracked,I replaced my broken glass with a stick on replacement.
thought about those stick on,s . but have noticed since post a crack on the back.

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 February 2016, 12:07:43 »

If it's just the glass that's cracked, then try...... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Right-Driver-Wide-Angle-Wing-mirror-glass-Vauxhall-Omega-00-03-heat-/290944465788?hash=item43bda43b7c. The nearside one is also listed from the same seller. £13 delivered. 5 mins to fit.

I replaced mine with one from this seller. Simply a case of gently unclipping the damaged one, unclipping the spade connector, refitting the spade connector to the new part and then gently clicking it into place.

Mine was a very good replacement. It fitted well, and adjusts & heats just like the original.  :y
already have some, complete set of mirrors . just need to change colour from silver to black.

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 February 2016, 12:20:37 »

Silver to black probably better than the other way around, but black does come in a range of colours. :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 February 2016, 12:31:59 »

I understand that Elite mirrors are electrically different from others  :-\

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 February 2016, 12:40:29 »

The Elites mirrors, I believe alter along with the electric seats, not sure if this means there's extra wiring in the mirror or not. However, this magic re-adjusting mirror will only be apparent if there's more than one driver programmed into the seat's memory.

... but as for the question 'will they fit' then any Omega mirror will 'fit' yes. And of course the simplest solution is for the OP take out just the glass from his spare mirrors, and use them; thus negating any potential wiring issues.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 February 2016, 13:24:31 »

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 February 2016, 17:58:52 »

Correct
Grumpy old man

05omegav6

« Reply #11 on: 01 February 2016, 18:01:50 »

Correct
And perfectly interchangeable  :y

Mine has a CD drivers mirror... fitting non Elite mirrors will cost you the memory on said mirror, and fitting Elite mirrors to any other model doesn't affect the way it works :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 February 2016, 18:03:26 »

Correct

Mine has a CD drivers mirror... fitting non Elite mirrors will cost you the memory on said mirror, and fitting Elite mirrors to any other model doesn't affect the way it works :y
Correct.

Although any elite owner wouldn't tolerate non elite mirrors. Stupidly useful, particularly on the FL ones which lack the vertical view of PFL
Grumpy old man

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 February 2016, 18:22:21 »

Although any elite owner wouldn't tolerate non elite mirrors. ....

:y :y

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 February 2016, 22:52:23 »

I did discover that there is a bolt plus 2 screws behind the door card. I managed all but one screw by  removing 2 door card screws. I could just prise it away enough to get at them. the one that remains I shall make something that will get at it. do not fancy removing door card.  :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 February 2016, 23:42:33 »

I did discover that there is a bolt plus 2 screws behind the door card. I managed all but one screw by  removing 2 door card screws. I could just prise it away enough to get at them. the one that remains I shall make something that will get at it. do not fancy removing door card.  :y

Never done an Astra G  face lift  ::) mirror, but the preface lift mirrors came off by removing the triangular trim above the mirror and then removing 2 screws ..... no door card involved  ;)
« Last Edit: 01 February 2016, 23:44:46 by Andy B »

05omegav6

« Reply #16 on: 01 February 2016, 23:45:25 »

Correct

Correct.

Although any elite owner wouldn't tolerate non elite mirrors. Stupidly useful, particularly on the FL ones which lack the vertical view of PFL
As the only driver of my car, using the switch rather than the memory feature to tweak the mirror is no hardship ::)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 February 2016, 23:53:25 »

As the only driver of my car, using the switch rather than the memory feature to tweak the mirror is no hardship ::)

As the only driver of my R320 I find that when/if I move my seat  or mirrors it takes me ages to get them baCk to where they were cos there's no memory settings!!!!!!!!! Argh!  >:(

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 02 February 2016, 10:40:01 »

Nice thing about the memory seats/mirrors is the ability to have the mirrors set "different" for reversing .. position 1 .. normal driving me, pos 2 normal driving "her", pos 3 seats in the same place for me but the mirrors dip "downwards" slightly to show the kerb at the rear .. makes "normal" reversing as well as moving the tin-tent backwards a tad easier, and only takes a second to do ...  :)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 02 February 2016, 10:51:32 »

That's what they call 'life hacks' isn't it? Nice idea.  :) I feel the need for electric seats now!

My one is to hook the spare wheel rubber strap buckle under part of the bootlid hinge, to keep it out the way when re-inserting the spare wheel. That's my tip for the day!  :D

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 02 February 2016, 10:54:58 »

You miss the memory bit of electric seats if you downgrade. I have all electric seats but no memory & I find it takes me ages to get it right again if I move it

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 February 2016, 11:09:19 »

Keep having the tempting thought of ripping apart an elite seat, and installing the electric internals in my PFL CDX seats. I do have two spare CDX front seats, too...  (as you do) :)

Someone did it to some MV6 ones, once, didn't they?

Off topic, anyway! Mirrors, yes, mirrors.  :)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 February 2016, 11:24:06 »

Keep having the tempting thought of ripping apart an elite seat, and installing the electric internals in my PFL CDX seats. I do have two spare CDX front seats, too...  (as you do) :)

Someone did it to some MV6 ones, once, didn't they?

Off topic, anyway! Mirrors, yes, mirrors.  :)

Wouldn't it be easier to put the CDX covers onto Elite frames  :-\

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 February 2016, 11:52:44 »

Well, either/or, yes  :)

Never ripped a seat apart to find out what's possible and easiest. The frame might be completely different, yet. As I say, it's something of a backburner job for now.  :)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 February 2016, 12:19:31 »

..... The frame might be completely different, yet.  ...

I'd doubt it  :-\

05omegav6

« Reply #25 on: 02 February 2016, 12:53:15 »

..... The frame might be completely different, yet.  ...

I'd doubt it  :-\
They are... but covers are interchangeable and CDX/Elite share the same velour iirc ;)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02 February 2016, 13:32:10 »

Suspected the frame would be different, a 'manual' and an 'electric' frame, then.

05omegav6

« Reply #27 on: 02 February 2016, 13:34:54 »

Suspected the frame would be different, a 'manual' and an 'electric' frame, then.
If only due to the motor mountings ;)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 February 2016, 13:36:54 »

At some point I'll no doubt come across a 'free' scrap Elite seat I can knock about and see if it's feasible. I suppose after 12 months and much back-breaking and fiddling, then the very next day after I fit the thing one of the motors will go pop!  ::)  :)

raywilb

• Omega Knight
  • york
    • DS DS4
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 February 2016, 17:21:11 »

Never done an Astra G  face lift  ::) mirror, but the preface lift mirrors came off by removing the triangular trim above the mirror and then removing 2 screws ..... no door card involved  ;)
  when I took the triangular cover off one screw & a 10mm bolt was visible. two further screws & a bolt these are definitely behind the door card. I took the 2 screws nearest the glove box, the 3 from underneath & 1 near the door lock. the card then pulled away enough to get a off-set screwdriver to undo them. ( put a magnet under screws incase the were dropped ) they are about 20mm below the card.

RobG

• Omega Queen
  • Bristol
  • I might have a link, pic or part number for that
    • 16 plate Mokka. Vivaro
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 02 February 2016, 17:29:22 »

It`s only the three screws that need undoing
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

UPVC windows/doors/fascias/soffit/gutters supplied/fitted

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 02 February 2016, 18:42:07 »

If the crack on the back is on the body coloured mirror casing could you not simply  pop off broken mirror glass remove coloured casing and re-fit replacement parts?saves taking entire mirror assembly off the door.

05omegav6

« Reply #32 on: 03 February 2016, 00:13:37 »

If the crack on the back is on the body coloured mirror casing could you not simply  pop off broken mirror glass remove coloured casing and re-fit replacement parts?saves taking entire mirror assembly off the door.
That works too ;)

DBG, you'll need both front door looms, the Elite mirrors, and depending on the wiring in the car, possibly the dash to drivers seat loom and elements of the dash loom...

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 03 February 2016, 09:54:10 »

Ahhh, thanks. Hmm.... like, though I do, the idea of using say 'position 2' as a 'reversing mode' I think the extra wiring involved for that would make my brain melt a bit... making an electric seat version of a CDX seat will probably be stretching my grey matter enough!

Thought 'b' would be to introduce an auto-dipping function to the door mirrors when reverse is engaged, which then return back once another gear is engaged. I'm sure some cars do this already.

Thought 'c' Just poke the button for all of 2 seconds to lower the mirrors, the 10% of the time I need it! And leave my seat the way it is. :D

'c' is winning so far  ;D

robson

• Omega Knight
  • Nr Ashford Kent
    • 2.6 facelift 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 03 February 2016, 11:30:03 »

I dont know what the rack is like but I might be tempted to stick the crack with superglue and finish with a fine filler, smooth and repaint

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 03 February 2016, 11:34:05 »

I'm thinking yes, just whack a new cover on. Oddly a longer job that removing and refitting a complete new mirror housing, but you're not looking for a rare colour, are you?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 03 February 2016, 17:53:09 »

That works too ;)

DBG, you'll need both front door looms, the Elite mirrors, and depending on the wiring in the car, possibly the dash to drivers seat loom and elements of the dash loom...
Will defo need the cabin loom, and internal mirror. Its an arse of an upgrade, easier to start out with an Elite and convert to a CDX if you want a CDX with full memory seats.
Grumpy old man

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 04 February 2016, 09:12:28 »

It's fine, that's now gone on the list of 'mods which will never happen, but nice in principle'  :D

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.