Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Suspension options  (Read 3154 times)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
Suspension options
« on: 03 February 2016, 21:21:25 »

For those who drive cars with lowered / stiffened suspension, what would your thoughts be on the following setup?

Standard ride height KYB rear springs with spring assistors, MV6 LSC front springs and b4's all round + the obligatory poly bushes front and rear on a 3.2 Saloon with a 80 - 100 Litre LPG tank.

I know it won't be in the same league as my 3.2 with Eibachs, B4's, polys etc etc but need to consider a greater ride height on the project car to support the weight of equipment I can end up carrying in the boot as well as the LPG tank weight.

Another option would be Police spec springs but I don't know much about ride heights etc of them as well as actually finding any!

05omegav6

Re: Suspension options
« Reply #1 on: 03 February 2016, 21:57:52 »

Plod ride springs with standard shocks would be my suggested heavy duty set up... if it has self leveling then keep it but with plod springs... ride height is unaffected compared to a standard car, but springs are beefier, making an Elite alot less wallowy... Paul S can help you with the characteristics of that set up... as his 3.2 saloon is so equipped :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2016, 22:13:19 »

I run my MV6 with Irmscher front, std rear, either B4 or GM shocks (pretty much similar shock type). It does make the front more responsive, but has lowered the understeer ratio, meaning its more prone to oversteer.
Grumpy old man

pauls

• Omega Baron
  • By the sea minehead
    • Bmw x3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2016, 22:24:53 »

I run police springs all round with standard elite shocks. Poly front bushes. No ride height issues but stiffens it up enough so you can still have a play. Couple on here have driven it gixer said for him front a bit soft, cant remember what al said. Sorry Al.
 I think if you left the elite back shocks but b4 the front you might find it better for you.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 February 2016, 22:26:18 »

Won't be keeping self levelling as a) It's already removed and b) I dislike the damping level from GM SL shocks..... Every Elite I have ever had (6 so far) I have ripped it out and eventually settled on B4's

To me a minimum level of B4 Shock absorption all round is a must, What I don't want is the standard suspension wallowyness (if there is such a word!) but I do need a slightly greater ride height at the rear above LSC to take the weight of the tank and my junk sensibly - to explain, with the weights I'm talking about standard -15mm LSC springs on the rear are compressed enough to be close to the ride height of my Eibach -30mm car.....

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 03 February 2016, 22:37:17 »

I'm in two minds about b4s... certainly front of the black one needs reconsidering... thinking Sachs and Eibach along with new bushes :-\

Self leveling and plod springs is a good hardworking set up, and having changed the shocks on the plod estate twice, I keep going back to the same standard set up...it will reliably take anything you throw at it whilst being composed, (for a two ton estate), through the twisties :y

05omegav6

« Reply #6 on: 03 February 2016, 22:41:18 »

I wouldn't run any lowering with the extra weight... you're looking at a permanent addition of 50+ kgs of weight, all over the back axle, that's what self leveling is designed for, especially without Elite springs... even if you can't get plod springs, standard non Elite springs will stiffen it up nicely  ;)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 February 2016, 07:29:55 »

Rear currently has KYB standard springs with Monroe Shock absorbers which both look very recent but the back end wallows far more than I like which is why I need to look at a stiffer option. LSC on the front with B4's gives a good compromise between ride height (for speed bumps!) and handling in my experience.

What is the standard ride height of Police saloon rears?

vauxsull

• Omega Knight
  • Garden City, North Wales
    • 3.0 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 February 2016, 08:11:42 »

Changing the rear shocks myself this month.. not sure wether to repalce with original self levelers which my local dealer has a set for £155 or do away with it and go for a recomended shock replacement from you guys.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 February 2016, 09:09:53 »

Round my way all the Omega taxis used to run on estate back springs. This jacked up the back end to a slightly odd level, until you sit two people and luggage in the back. My mate did it on his Elite, binned the SL and with him, his... 'generous' wife and three equally generous children in the back the car ran very well and further more could navigate the local speed bumps at a speed over 1mph.

Time is money, and so for a taxi driver the time you can save going over speed bumps a little faster means you have more time to take random detours to up the fare  :y

Stage direction: DBG leans back in his chair, sups his tea and awaits the howls of dissaproval  :D
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 04 February 2016, 13:25:28 »

Round my way all the Omega taxis used to run on estate back springs. This jacked up the back end to a slightly odd level, until you sit two people and luggage in the back. My mate did it on his Elite, binned the SL and with him, his... 'generous' wife and three equally generous children in the back the car ran very well and further more could navigate the local speed bumps at a speed over 1mph.

Time is money, and so for a taxi driver the time you can save going over speed bumps a little faster means you have more time to take random detours to up the fare  :y

Stage direction: DBG leans back in his chair, sups his tea and awaits the howls of dissaproval  :D
That was one reason why I went plod when looking for a car for cab work...

05omegav6

« Reply #11 on: 04 February 2016, 13:27:36 »

Rear currently has KYB standard springs with Monroe Shock absorbers which both look very recent but the back end wallows far more than I like which is why I need to look at a stiffer option. LSC on the front with B4's gives a good compromise between ride height (for speed bumps!) and handling in my experience.

What is the standard ride height of Police saloon rears?
From memory, as Pauls was measured for comparison last time it was here..., 690?

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 February 2016, 13:30:59 »

This is so, an ex-plod dose have a variety of features which make them ideal taxis.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

05omegav6

« Reply #13 on: 04 February 2016, 13:44:37 »

This is so, an ex-plod dose have a variety of features which make them ideal taxis.  :)
As Dan Aykroyd once said... ;D

Joking aside, large load capacity, space for 5 adults, correct colour, hd self leveling suspension, lsd, xenons and a tow bar... not to mention full history from a force reputed to look after their cars

The only thing was the engine made it a bit of a sledgehammer for town work

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 February 2016, 15:01:53 »

For my money, Plod Springs for normal ride height, although no idea where your going to get a set these days.

MV6 set up works well on the Omega, IMHO not much in the lowered height, but tons better in handling.

Plod Estates had rear self levelling, and wouldn't look out of place on a Saloon with a full LPG tank in the back, which is possibly what I will be doing with my 3.2 LPG Plod Saloon, again subject to availability of parts these days.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.