DOn't you mean DAT not DCC?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
Re: MD
« Reply #46 on: 02 February 2008, 17:38:36 »

It makes no odds, you cant ignore the physics of a PN junction.....it adds noise, quite a bit and it adds up very quickly.

Its the real world.

Do they run off batteries, probably not and nobody has yet produced the perfect power supply (battery is about as close as you can hope).

Performance claims are one thing, real applications are another and I doubt there is much kit that stands up to its claims.....christ, it would be a virtual impossability to produce a test to check for such claimed levels.

I would not be in the least bit surprised if the figures quoted are taken from the non-real world of analogue simulation and pasted onto a datasheet and dont allow for PCB cross talk, track impedance matching, noise, power supply noise etc...

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #47 on: 02 February 2008, 19:05:43 »

DOn't you mean DAT not DCC?

Nope, DAT (under most circumstances) was nominally 16 Bit, 48K . (although most could also run at 44.1K)

(the qualification in that was because there were  one or two higher resolution machines made for DAT format tape, (DA45HR from Tascam for example) but they're not compatible with ordinary machines, so the tapes created on them can only be played back on the same type of machine, not any other "normal" DAT machine... )

Mark,  there are some looney's and some geniuses working in high end audio development....
people can really truly get anally retentive about it.... I'm not generally one of them....  I'm  merely wish to point out that what the majority of people, electronics engineers or not, encounter in audio, is usually a long way from what is possible....   but that one should look to the Pro-audio guys to see what's possible, what's being played about with, and how far one can achievably go, , NOT the Hi-Fi crowd.... who'll gleefully sell you a  wooden plinth to sit your amp on,  that apparently cleans your mains power supply for a 10 foot radius  mains by means of quantum interaction....    >:(  (I think their version of Quantum is the one where you change the state of a thing merely by looking at it... (in th wrong way ;)  )    you know, like, if you look at what our thing does, it doesn't work... but we promise you it works if you don't look at it....   :y )

as to test equipment....  you're not kidding....   although there are some esoteric test and measurement devices out there that defy my ability to comprehend how the hell they can tell which gnat farted on another planet ....... :y  but it DOES exist....  

there are designers out there in Pro audio , whose entire 50 year career is largely based on creating better PCB designs with minimal cross talk, and matched stable capacitance and impedance characteristics... good ground plane shielding, and specifically designed wound component placement to minimise unwanted inductance effects (Rupert Neve springs to mind)

and they were doing this was way back before computing was able to do "non real world analogue simulation"

:y

If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 03 February 2008, 01:38:22 »

Just wanted to add.... I got into hifi seperates a long long time ago, my kit is old by todays standards but I still laugh at the appalling sound quality when I hear any sort of 'combined system'.

I also prefer the warm sound of my Linn turntable to that of any CD player i've heard. Infact I prefer the sound of my cheapie Rotel RP855 turntable to any form of MP3/WMV (whatever, who cares!) type media.

As for in the car.... The Bose setup with the NCDR Cd player is acceptable for a car system, but then a car is never going to be the most remarkable place to listen to music.

But whatever equipment you use, be it an Ipod or a turntable, a radio program through your phone or a dolby cinema system wrapped around your TV.... The single biggest improvement you can ever make to the listening experience is...... To get some Q tips and clean your ears!

« Last Edit: 04 February 2008, 00:44:07 by VXL_V6 »

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 03 February 2008, 11:27:59 »

...... To get some Q tips and clean your ears!

According to the nurse at work, the only thing you should use to clean out your ears is, your opposite elbow! ;D
« Last Edit: 03 February 2008, 13:03:01 by Andy_B »

MaxV6

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford UK
  • Give me 6 cylinders and i'm happy.
    • 2.2SportPremium Jag est
    • View Profile
    • Work related forums....
« Reply #50 on: 03 February 2008, 20:25:54 »

. The single biggest improvement you can ever make to the listening experience is...... To get some Q tips and clean your ears!

yes and no... clearing out the ears yes, using std cotton buds NO....

Ear Candles,    (chinese thing...    acts asa wick and chimney to draw out all the wax and crap in the ear canal.
or Specially shaped cotton buds that have a large ballshape lump in them to prevent the bud being able to be slipped too far in and rupture the ear drum , which is all to easy with Std cotton Buds.

If I haven't broken it yet, I soon will.
"The 4th Rule of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.