Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows update  (Read 1511 times)

shyboy

• Omega Knight
  • Southport, merseyside.
    • Mazda 6
    • View Profile
Windows update
« on: 20 May 2018, 16:03:12 »

Help!
After being pestered to install a latest Windows update on my main computer I set the ball rolling last evening when I could allow it the time to install.
Following various screen instructions this morning, most of which I now can't remember, I have been left with a blank black screen with just a moving cursor, which does nothing else, and no way of moving on.
Can anyone suggest a course of action before this computer ignoramus calls in professional help?
I'm having to use an old, slow laptop for this post.
Any help would be appreciated.

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
Re: Windows update
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2018, 17:06:04 »

It took my notebook 1hr to install the latest update....sorry no help to you tho …..

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2018, 17:11:35 »

Will it boot up in safe mode?
I like red cars

redelitev6

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2018, 18:59:48 »

I just wait for that nice guy from India to ring up and let him do all the hard work , such a polite and patient support technician  ;)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2018, 19:17:32 »

Black Screen with only Cursor or rotating small blue circle after a completed Re Boot normally means a Re Start is required after an Update.

Dont normally recommend this but If the Above doesnt work, you may need to do a Cold forced Switch Off using the Power Button and then a Restart.

I had this before with Updates and it sometimes does the above and have got around it by doing a Roll Back or System Restore to pre Upgrade Time then do the Upgrade again but by downloading the Windows Updater exe from the MS Website.

If you havent got one already make a Windows Recovery Disk or USB or get your hands on one.

Windows manual UpDater can be downloaded here from the MS Website - https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=799445

Or other Download Options here - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
« Last Edit: 20 May 2018, 19:30:32 by zirk »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 May 2018, 19:38:17 »

Yes, I did my Windows 10 update today.

It took hours from beginning to end, with many red screens letting me know what process was taking place, and involved many restarts undertaken automatically by Microsoft.

All fine, looks good, and no blank screens at the end, BUT there were some during the process which maybe is what you are experiencing shyboy and I would leave alone for a while to give the system a chance to do whatever it is doing

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2018, 20:02:16 »

By the sound of it this update will be due to hit me soon.Only thing that's happened on mine since last recent update[why so many so often?]is that when I go on e-mail a small square box appears on about setting to my start or something else when I click ok the box disappears and all is normal until the next time I go back to e-mail and the box reappears.It's getting annoying.

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2018, 20:34:07 »

By the sound of it this update will be due to hit me soon.Only thing that's happened on mine since last recent update[why so many so often?]is that when I go on e-mail a small square box appears on about setting to my start or something else when I click ok the box disappears and all is normal until the next time I go back to e-mail and the box reappears.It's getting annoying.
Go to Setting and select Updates, select the options when to Update or Download Update so they suit your requirements.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2018, 18:41:37 »

Ultimately, as no software is perfect, and the Internet is full of scrotes, flaws are being constantly found.

Microsoft chose, unless its mega urgent, to apply updates to your PC once a month.  Windows 10 users, in addition, get 1 to 2 huge feature updates a year.

Other systems are similar, including MacOS and Linux.
Grumpy old man
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 22 queries.