Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Happy !  (Read 4675 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
Re: Happy !
« Reply #15 on: 28 March 2018, 19:18:58 »

Car share buddy commented other day how I was driving much faster than usual......

Jeez you manage to hit 50mph Tunnie?  :o  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 March 2018, 19:31:05 »

Car share buddy commented other day how I was driving much faster than usual......

3.2 is averaging 21mpg, with fair amount of motorway, should give you an indication.  :D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 March 2018, 19:43:35 »

Car share buddy, his team have a Sonos bar going during the day.

I just wear Bose QuietComfort noise cancelling headphones, work run has 4G all the way. But I do have download flag on, as so favourites don’t have to re-stream.
Does your company pay performing rights?  As you certainly employ more than the threshold to play music through speakers ;)

Anybody in my office wearing headphones gets shot with one of the many Nerf guns we have dotted around, because its ignorant and rude.
Grumpy old man

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 March 2018, 19:54:35 »

My last job before i retired they had poxy Radio One on all bloody day. >:( As an old fart it used to do my head in. Now retirement bliss :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 March 2018, 20:05:53 »

I just wear Bose QuietComfort noise cancelling headphones, work run has 4G all the way. But I do have download flag on, as so favourites don’t have to re-stream.
Does your company pay performing rights?  As you certainly employ more than the threshold to play music through speakers ;)

Don’t be silly, no one gives a monkeys, same reason we have beers/wine in office at lunch.

Anybody in my office wearing headphones gets shot with one of the many Nerf guns we have dotted around, because its ignorant and rude.

It’s freedom of choice, often people want to drown out office chat and focus on code. Certainly when I’ve dabbled with development, music helps concentration and no one else has to suffer your choice.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 March 2018, 22:12:09 »

3.2 is averaging 21mpg, with fair amount of motorway, should give you an indication.  :D

If you push that lever in the middle from 2 to D, you will find you can go faster for the same MPG!  :P  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 29 March 2018, 07:39:49 »

I wear bone-conducting headphones for that reason.  You still get people waving to get my attention as they dont realise I can hear them with the music on.  What they don't understand is that if I am ignoring them it is usually because I know they are about to ask me a bone question regarding cyber security that they have most-likely asked before.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 29 March 2018, 09:24:38 »

Don’t be silly, no one gives a monkeys
That will change when Uncle R gets hit with a multi million pound fine for not paying it ;)

We now block common streaming services at our firewalls, and scan every hard disk regularly for MP3/WMA etc, and walk people out of the door who feel they are above the rules :)
Grumpy old man

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 29 March 2018, 09:47:12 »

Don’t be silly, no one gives a monkeys
That will change when Uncle R gets hit with a multi million pound fine for not paying it ;)

Music was playing in development areas back in 2009 when I joined, nothing much has changed.  :)

Sounds like BT are in the dark ages, especially if scanning for mp3's who uses them anymore and to block everything? Really don't like view point of headphones banned, it's a bit dictator-ish.  :-\

Nothing is blocked here apart from inappropriate images/gun stuff. youTube, music, etc is all fine to use. Why spend huge amounts of effort to stop people doing something?  ???

As long as the work gets done, that's what matters. If team want some tunes on, either via speakers or headphones. Or get some beers in for lunch or work from home, totally flexible. Happy team, means a productive team. Could be why my team of 12 has delivered something in 5 months, we expected to take 7.  :)

I remember someone who joined from Vodafone couple of years ago, he was gobsmacked that we opened a crate of beers at 3PM to celebrate a bit of code going live  ;D

aaronjb

« Reply #24 on: 29 March 2018, 10:06:03 »

I wear bone-conducting headphones for that reason.  You still get people waving to get my attention as they dont realise I can hear them with the music on.  What they don't understand is that if I am ignoring them it is usually because I know they are about to ask me a bone question regarding cyber security that they have most-likely asked before.

When I'm in the office, I wear them to drown out the guy with tourettes who sits behind me and makes weird noises all day. And the guy on the next desk who sniffs constantly like an MP with a serious coke habit. And the dumb questions ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 29 March 2018, 10:21:29 »

When I'm in the office, I wear them to drown out the guy with tourettes who sits behind me and makes weird noises all day. And the guy on the next desk who sniffs constantly like an MP with a serious coke habit. And the dumb questions ;D

No idea you worked with the fatty admin!  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 29 March 2018, 13:33:30 »

Music was playing in development areas back in 2009 when I joined, nothing much has changed.  :)
Neither has the law.  Presumably there are more than 8 people at your site? So if *ANYONE* is playing through speakers, you *HAVE* to have a licence for the site. Ignorance of the law is no excuse, nor is "that's how its always been".

Sounds like BT are in the dark ages, especially if scanning for mp3's who uses them anymore and to block everything?
If you block streaming, then you have to have music files of some description.

Really don't like view point of headphones banned, it's a bit dictator-ish.  :-\
Headphones aren't banned at our place - we usually have headsets on all day for pointless calls.  But having headphones on listening to music is simply pig ignorant IMHO, hence the Nerf gun...   ...and I'm a bloody good shot - I usually go for the drink, just as they lift it towards their mouth.  Why bother coming into the office if you are not going to participate.

Why spend huge reasonable amounts of effort to stop people doing something?  ???
Make it just difficult enough that it reminds employees what the rules are, and they have to actively circumvent it makes it easy to give them the heave-ho

As long as the work gets done, that's what matters. If team want some tunes on, either via speakers or headphones. Or get some beers in for lunch or work from home, totally flexible. Happy team, means a productive team. Could be why my team of 12 has delivered something in 5 months, we expected to take 7.  :)
(Drink is absolutely banned on any of our sites, even if you've just popped to Tescos to get some personal shopping, and carried it in the office). I agree with "if the work gets done", but study after study shows collaboration works better (sadly, as it doesn't work in my favour).

I can't grumble at my company's flexibility - its well known here that I have only been in my office about 5 days in the last 7 months, and mostly been WFH.  This is mostly because of the (secret) project I've been on (the one they said couldn't be achieved in less than 12 months, but we did in 7 ;)) meant I was pretty much working on my own, so I avoided a lot of the interruptions.

However, things like WFH here are mostly at the discretion on your immediate management - companywide, too many people take the piss, and think WFH means just answering the phone when it rings, and react to email, rather than working.  This frustrates the hell out of me, as I value that privilege of WFH as and when I please, but if the majority take the piss, it will get banned.  The same with flexible hours I'm allowed - if too many of the lazy bastards take the piss, it will become a strictly 9-5 hours, which means I will have to commute in rush hour.

You will learn that slowly your people will start to view privileges as rights, and that's when it starts to fall apart.
Grumpy old man

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 29 March 2018, 13:43:08 »

There is that too.  There is one person in the office who I normally like but when they go in to whingy-whiney mode their voice actually changes and you can hear the difference.  That's when I become selectively deaf.

This morning I send an email with 12 attachments, whingy-whiney voice pops up "I only have 3 of the attachments.  Presentation A is missing, so is B"

"No it's all there" as I double-check the sent mail folder.

After 5 minutes of whingy-whiney voice it turns out that said person didn't know about the scroll bar for attachments in Outlook.  You can imagine what it is like explaining cyber to these guys....

aaronjb

« Reply #28 on: 29 March 2018, 13:55:39 »

After 5 minutes of whingy-whiney voice it turns out that said person didn't know about the scroll bar for attachments in Outlook.  You can imagine what it is like explaining cyber to these guys....

On those occasions I'd suggest that TBs Nerf gun needs upgrading to something that accommodates NATO rounds..

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 29 March 2018, 14:11:27 »

On those occasions I'd suggest that TBs Nerf gun needs upgrading to something that accommodates NATO rounds..

5.56 is useless in battle.  7.62 or .50 are much better in HV.  It goes in your leg and comes out through your arm.  Job done.  NATO rounds are designed to not kill straight away thus taking 2 extra soldiers out to give treatment (or that's the theory, anyway).

I have threatened the introduction of Nerf guns, but we have a couple of snowflakes who would likely object.  Plus they pay me quite well to say simple things like "No we cannot use generic accounts on a public-facing interface" ;D
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.