Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Another Bose question from newbie ;)  (Read 4511 times)

Ollie3.0v6

• Gravesend
    • Omega 3.0 V6
    • View Profile
Another Bose question from newbie ;)
« on: 07 September 2016, 22:48:07 »

Hello guys n gals,

After reading a lot of really useful info on here about the Bose system and how you cannot change the Philips factory headunit with a modern unit..

The problem I have is this:

The Bose system sounds good but the low end could be better

Im thinking I could bypass the Bose amp, use its signal cable and connect to a better amp with better Sub..

I want to play mp3s / spotify from phone etc.. (no handy AUX)

I thought of a cunning plan (but might not work  :P8)

I have a multiplay CD player, I dont need to use it.  What would be great is to find the audio cable from CD multiplayer, disconnect and add a 3.5mm jack for phone as a replacement.  So basically I press the CD player button on headunit but its my phone.

Your thoughts and wisdom would be great!   :y :y

Ollie
Ollie

1999 Bronze Vauxhall Omega 3.0 V6

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Another Bose question from newbie ;)
« Reply #1 on: 08 September 2016, 02:15:24 »

Hello guys n gals,

After reading a lot of really useful info on here about the Bose system and how you cannot change the Philips factory headunit with a modern unit..

The problem I have is this:

The Bose system sounds good but the low end could be better

Im thinking I could bypass the Bose amp, use its signal cable and connect to a better amp with better Sub..

Not going to work, the Bose Head Unit doesn't dish out Line Out Levels, which would require Lew level, High Impedance and Unbalanced signal to feed Standard Car Audio Amps, instead Bose use their own trickery, the HU's output is a Balanced twisted pair Speaker Level to their own Amps designed to receive that type of signal.

I want to play mp3s / spotify from phone etc.. (no handy AUX)

I thought of a cunning plan (but might not work  :P8)

I have a multiplay CD player, I dont need to use it.  What would be great is to find the audio cable from CD multiplayer, disconnect and add a 3.5mm jack for phone as a replacement.  So basically I press the CD player button on headunit but its my phone.

Technically possible, bearing in mind any CD Changer Code Pairing, in fact one of the mods you can do to the later Double Din Hu's is to interrupt the CD Signal for Aux in, but bearing in mind option one above is probably a non starter.

Your thoughts and wisdom would be great!   :y :y

Ollie

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 September 2016, 09:01:58 »

I'm possibly the worst bloke on here to answer anything related to car audio  ;) , however, I can say the general consensus on here (as similar questions have been asked before) is that if you want original factory audio, then the Bose is great, the standard is actually very good by the standards of normal car audio; but if you want anything reasonably modern, then just bin whatever is in your car and fit it There's no point trying to chop n change and add things in, with ipod connectivity and god knows what else.  :). A 20 year old car audio is never going to sound as good/do the things even a £50 setup from Halfords/other will, kind of thing  :y

I actually really like the idea of pressing CD and then your ipod tunes coming through. And id love to be able to make/see some hack which leaves the system looking OEM, but actually having all the bells n whistles of a modern sound system.  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Ollie3.0v6

• Gravesend
    • Omega 3.0 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 September 2016, 09:06:12 »

Thanks for your replies  :)

Right, I get it.. I think I will leave alone.  The Bose is good, better than some modern factory fits ive heard recently. 
BUT....Still toying with the idea of hacking into CD changers audio signal just to bring us into the 21st century.

Ollie
Ollie

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 08 September 2016, 09:59:16 »

Its certainly possible to interrupt the L/R from CD Changer (the rest of the wires would still need to be in tact, and CD's still present in multichanger).  You *may* need a small preamp or impedance matching to get the sound just right.

Other option is FM modulators, though most are shockingly shite...  ...and *ALL* reduce the already weak Omega FM signal if you listen to the wireless.
Grumpy old man

Ollie3.0v6

• Gravesend
    • Omega 3.0 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 08 September 2016, 10:11:46 »

Thanks for reply mate, will keep you all updated if I go ahead with this mod.

Ollie
Ollie

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 September 2016, 10:14:30 »

It does get criticism, and it's certainly not a 'slick' 'high-end' solution, but we've got one of them cassette to 3.5mm jack affairs, for as and when we want to listen to the ipod. The sound quality is 'fine' - a slight tinniness which can be solved by tweaking the base/treble knobs, of course. But if you're really into quality audio, you wouldn't own (sorry - rent) mp3s anyway. It does us 'fine' as I say.  :)

At some point we'd like to stick the wire hidden out of the way, install an extension so that the jack can appear inside the ashhtray or armrest cubby, or somewhere it can be plugged in out of the way, while still to hand.  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Ollie3.0v6

• Gravesend
    • Omega 3.0 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 September 2016, 10:23:29 »

It does get criticism, and it's certainly not a 'slick' 'high-end' solution, but we've got one of them cassette to 3.5mm jack affairs, for as and when we want to listen to the ipod. The sound quality is 'fine' - a slight tinniness which can be solved by tweaking the base/treble knobs, of course. But if you're really into quality audio, you wouldn't own (sorry - rent) mp3s anyway. It does us 'fine' as I say.  :)

At some point we'd like to stick the wire hidden out of the way, install an extension so that the jack can appear inside the ashhtray or armrest cubby, or somewhere it can be plugged in out of the way, while still to hand.  :y

Yeah ive used one of these before, not a bad idea at all to be honest. 
Ollie

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 September 2016, 11:34:23 »

I know they're rubbish, and terrible, and the spawn of the Devil etc... but I got given one, plugged it in, pressed play, tweaked around with the volume levels (low on the output device (ipod), high on the head unit, I think is what they say) and was rather surprised! Sat there, me and Miss DBG started at each other and thought 'well this is ok!' and we've left it there.  :) really have no complaints.

Ollie3.0v6

• Gravesend
    • Omega 3.0 V6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 September 2016, 13:31:57 »

haha love it mate.  You know what to save me hacking into system I might give it a try.  I love those moments when you think hey it works!!   :y

Ollie

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #10 on: 08 September 2016, 16:18:51 »

For what its worth, I have actually found a workable solution to this

Get on the Bay of E and pick up an old Harmon Kardon Drive and play unit - they are getting a  bit old now, but there are still a few new ones kicking around for about £40 or so. It has AUX in, and full iPod controls - works pretty well.

It has the option of a hard wired FM modulator, which whilst not great, is better than nothing, and will give you some decent tunes on your head unit if you tune the radio in to it. BOSE owners will be more than happy with the sound.

Now, this is where Modulators and the Omega do not usually work.

The FM aerial in the Omega is piss poor, and it struggles to give a strong enough signal to the poor quality tuner inside the original radio. Adding an extra few joints and a modulator in line with the aerial cable are usually enough to kill the radio signal strength completely, and most find that whilst the modulator plays the MP3 tunes, its at the expense of being able to listen to the radio ever again.

The solution is to fit an EXTERNAL FM AERIAL to the roof instead of the crappy thing stuck to the window. Even if you have an existing aerial on the roof, then you will need to replace it for this to work. Use either a BOSCH or HISRCHMANN fully amplified beesting aerial, and a tip here is that AUDI ones are cheaper than GM and have the same upright mounting angle - VW ones are more swept back and there is no problem using those if needed. If you use the telematics, then select the correct aftermarket aerial that has the dual/tri/GSM/GPS configuration for your needs. When new aerial is fitted - DO NOT USE ORIGINAL CABLES as these are poor also. Run a new aerial cable from the Aerial to the Modulator, along roof and down O/S A post to the Modulator in centre console, and to the back of the radio. The replacement aerial will require a 12V feed to its base, and there is no problem connecting this to the little spade connector that you unplugged from the old Vx one.

Just to add

We have tried other modulator kits with zero success, and tried existing cables with zero success

So far, the combination as suggested above has worked every single time without fail

Hope this helps 

8)
Radio & Decoding Technician
In Car Audio Service Department
www.dndservices.co.uk

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 September 2016, 16:52:00 »

To the OP, the word of the chap above, Dave DND is The Law on here with regard to in-car entertainment.

Once again, your word is very gratefully received, Dave  :)

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 September 2016, 19:32:55 »

The solution is to fit an EXTERNAL FM AERIAL to the roof instead of the crappy thing stuck to the window. Even if you have an existing aerial on the roof, then you will need to replace it for this to work. Use either a BOSCH or HISRCHMANN fully amplified beesting aerial, and a tip here is that AUDI ones are cheaper than GM and have the same upright mounting angle - VW ones are more swept back and there is no problem using those if needed. If you use the telematics, then select the correct aftermarket aerial that has the dual/tri/GSM/GPS configuration for your needs. When new aerial is fitted - DO NOT USE ORIGINAL CABLES as these are poor also. Run a new aerial cable from the Aerial to the Modulator, along roof and down O/S A post to the Modulator in centre console, and to the back of the radio. The replacement aerial will require a 12V feed to its base, and there is no problem connecting this to the little spade connector that you unplugged from the old Vx one.

Be aware that the vast majority of replacement antenna with a GPS base will have too big a footprint to follow the curve of a saloon roof - been there, got a box with loads of GPS / GSM antennas that are no use!

Specific Hirschmann models are the best solution but you'll need deep pockets.

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #13 on: 08 September 2016, 20:41:07 »

Specific Hirschmann models are the best solution but you'll need deep pockets.

Absolutely - But even then its a small price to pay for a solution  :y
www.dndservices.co.uk

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 September 2016, 23:26:05 »

To the OP, the word of the chap above, Dave DND is The Law on here with regard to in-car entertainment.

I doubt that, we'd all be driving around with Clarion HU's as a replacement to our ripped out Bose if that was the case.  ;D, sorry Dave, no offence.  ;)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 09 September 2016, 08:56:58 »

Well he has the best avatar  :D since that member with the jiggling boobs gif left/changed it.  ;D

Dave DND

• Omega Baron
  • DND Services Ltd
    • Paignton, Devon
    • View Profile
    • DND Services Ltd
« Reply #16 on: 09 September 2016, 11:16:12 »

I doubt that, we'd all be driving around with Clarion HU's as a replacement to our ripped out Bose if that was the case.  ;D, sorry Dave, no offence.  ;)

www.dndservices.co.uk

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 September 2016, 11:19:15 »

Now, I said it was 'The Law'... never said anyone abided by the Law, did I?  ;D

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.