Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Both wipers very slow  (Read 8960 times)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
Re: Both wipers very slow
« Reply #45 on: 17 November 2018, 13:10:49 »

The linkage tends to fall apart, which gives a different problem than just working slowly.
But, and I'll keep saying this, you need to inspect the parts to diagnose them! Guessing(or hoping) is a waste of time and money.

That is what made me think it is the motor struggling to move the wipers, then overheating. Which is why the wipers work slowly again, after it has cooled down. Looking on eBay, there are no motors available, I’d have too buy the whole assembly again. I’m not mechanically minded, I’ll have too get my mechanic too have a look.

After the wiper arms have been removed from the spindles, there are just 4 hex headed self tappers that hold the whole assembly in place.
I know that Omegas are very thin on the ground on the road let alone scrap yards, but buying in person is always best. On first glance, the wiper motor of an Astra G looks the same as an Omega's  :-\

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 17 November 2018, 13:16:14 »

FFS this is painful...... why don't you just pop the ball joint linkages off to see if the wiper spindles turn freely? You will probably find the motor is okay, just need the spindles removing, cleaning and greasing  :y   Properly!

I think I might be able to manage that. Cheers, I’ll update when I’ve tried.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 17 November 2018, 13:20:44 »

FFS this is painful...... why don't you just pop the ball joint linkages off to see if the wiper spindles turn freely? You will probably find the motor is okay, just need the spindles removing, cleaning and greasing  :y   Properly!

I'd leave the ball joints alone, as they tend to fall apart regularly after disassembly. Undoing the nut on the end of the motor spindle doesn't have this problem and is much easier :y

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 19 November 2018, 00:15:47 »

The linkage tends to fall apart, which gives a different problem than just working slowly.
But, and I'll keep saying this, you need to inspect the parts to diagnose them! Guessing(or hoping) is a waste of time and money.

That is what made me think it is the motor struggling to move the wipers, then overheating. Which is why the wipers work slowly again, after it has cooled down. Looking on eBay, there are no motors available, I’d have too buy the whole assembly again. I’m not mechanically minded, I’ll have too get my mechanic too have a look.

After the wiper arms have been removed from the spindles, there are just 4 hex headed self tappers that hold the whole assembly in place.
I know that Omegas are very thin on the ground on the road let alone scrap yards, but buying in person is always best. On first glance, the wiper motor of an Astra G looks the same as an Omega's  :-\

Can any other member confirm that the Astra G mechanism will fit my facelift? What years are the Astra G?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 19 November 2018, 00:19:12 »

Noone said it would fit, merely that they look similar...

But to answer your question, '99-'03 should avoid confusion...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 19 November 2018, 06:44:39 »

Will the mechanism fit? Not a chance.

But an Astra motor might fit the Omega mechanism.

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 19 November 2018, 06:54:36 »

Can any other member confirm that the Astra G mechanism will fit my facelift? What years are the Astra G?

I said the MOTOR looks similar .....

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 19 November 2018, 08:33:42 »

Someone would make a really good dentist...
Onanists always think outside the box.

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 27 November 2018, 19:06:32 »

Thought I’d give high speed setting ago & see how long the wipers lasted. Got 5 minutes, then they stopped. Left the wipers on high speed, they came back after about a minute, worked for a couple of minutes, then stopped again. Could smell an acrid smell in the car afterwards. Do guys think this is definitely pointing to the motor overheating?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 27 November 2018, 19:48:57 »

Or the mech stiff, causing motor to overheat
Grumpy old man

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 27 November 2018, 19:53:47 »

If the mech is stiff, is there anything I can spray on the arms & mech?

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 27 November 2018, 20:15:06 »

I forgot too say, how noisy the mech is in operation compared to my old mech. Maybe, they do just need lubricated. But what with?

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 27 November 2018, 20:51:17 »

More than likely the mech is stiff. I've come across this problem a few times on Omegas, and in one instance had to knock 7 bells of sh1t out of the shaft just to free it, whilst turning it with a 12 inch adjustable spanner - you wouldn't believe how rusted up the shaft was, and I'm amazed that the motor managed to keep it running, albeit slowly.

Back to basics methinks, and forget about the smell, just make sure the spindles are free to turn in their bushings before you go any further. I think I might have mentioned that before  :-X
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

atann

• Canterbury
    • Vauxhall Omega 2.6 CDX
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 27 November 2018, 21:25:03 »

More than likely the mech is stiff. I've come across this problem a few times on Omegas, and in one instance had to knock 7 bells of sh1t out of the shaft just to free it, whilst turning it with a 12 inch adjustable spanner - you wouldn't believe how rusted up the shaft was, and I'm amazed that the motor managed to keep it running, albeit slowly.

Back to basics methinks, and forget about the smell, just make sure the spindles are free to turn in their bushings before you go any further. I think I might have mentioned that before  :-X

Cheers. I’ll give it that ago.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.