Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Failed MOT advice (Emissions)  (Read 8101 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Failed MOT advice (Emissions)
« Reply #30 on: 19 March 2018, 23:20:28 »

I always take the car for a good hard drive before an MOT, drive like I stole it. Then crank it up a notch further and drive like TheBoy  ;D

Once MOT the tester complained he burnt his hand, putting in the exhaust probe.  :D

Looks like the Zafira will need the same treatment, but for a few days leading up to MOT, blow that soot out.

grifter

• Paisley, Scotland
  • Omega Baron
    • Omega 2.6 CD / Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 20 March 2018, 07:05:44 »

New MOT document comes into force on 2th May:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mot-inspection-manual-for-class-3-4-5-and-7-vehicles

Currently the draft shows an EML lit as a major fail. ::)

There is nothing in the MOT manual that requires or allows connection to an OBD port so I'd be having a word if they tried that on my car. It's possible that emissions testers designed for the european market have the interface fitted but it's not used in a UK MOT test.

This has been a fail point for a while. People used to take the bulb out to get through mot.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 20 March 2018, 09:41:52 »

Well, my car was issued with an MOT in February with the EML illuminated. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

STEMO

« Reply #33 on: 20 March 2018, 13:00:42 »

Well, my car was issued with an MOT in February with the EML illuminated. ;)
It's standard on an omega and, therefore, allowed.  :y

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 20 March 2018, 13:23:13 »

And mine was issued with one, with the bulb residing in the glovebox.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 20 March 2018, 20:52:11 »

My Silver Bullet usually got adviso for EML being on, due to the way the tester started that car.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 20 March 2018, 20:54:35 »

Terry...this is/was my gold estate. which you would have seen at Wycombe meets in the past. I let it go for a song to James, he and myself knowing there were a few minor problems needed sorting. However, with my recent shoulder dislocation, I could not entertain repairing it, and I did not intend to allow James under it. Whatever James gets for it, I have no qualms whatsoever. I hope he gets a good figure. Having helped me in the past at short notice, and doing excellent work, for a small return, it is in a way, my repayment, to a degree. :y
James won't get off scot free.....there is still another Omega here to be looked after !!  ;D ;D ;D
Amazingly, he managed to change the crank sensor without going under it. I bet he went under it to change the wishbone, though.

Maybe next time you question my motives , think about the fact a few weeks ago I did a 200 mile round trip to do a cambelt kit and pump, and wouldn’t accept a penny over my fuel costs
Was there any questioning of motives?
Grumpy old man

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 20 March 2018, 22:10:50 »

Terry...this is/was my gold estate. which you would have seen at Wycombe meets in the past. I let it go for a song to James, he and myself knowing there were a few minor problems needed sorting. However, with my recent shoulder dislocation, I could not entertain repairing it, and I did not intend to allow James under it. Whatever James gets for it, I have no qualms whatsoever. I hope he gets a good figure. Having helped me in the past at short notice, and doing excellent work, for a small return, it is in a way, my repayment, to a degree. :y
James won't get off scot free.....there is still another Omega here to be looked after !!  ;D ;D ;D
Amazingly, he managed to change the crank sensor without going under it. I bet he went under it to change the wishbone, though.

Maybe next time you question my motives , think about the fact a few weeks ago I did a 200 mile round trip to do a cambelt kit and pump, and wouldn’t accept a penny over my fuel costs
Was there any questioning of motives?

With hindsight - perhaps not.

However, since my accident, folk have questioned or hinted, both in public and private, directly and indirectly, to various things. Examples being, why can I now manage to do some jobs, or, worse *should* be I attempting to do any such jobs while I'm recovering and attempting to get fully fit for operational work again.

The answer is simple. Yes I should, within reason. My physiotherapy / hydro team were insistent that I should attempt to do the things I did before, with adjustments. I actually keep a diary of what I manage to achieve, and how much time passes before the pain levels again, how soon I could contemplate doing it again, etc.

For example, I can do a V6 cambelt with seemingly little fuss, if I wear my back support, but later that night the pain will creep in, usually resulting in codeine and hot bath - and I wouldn't be able to do another one, for about a week.

If I have mis-interpreted your post Terry, then of course I apologise, but at the time it appeared to be one of many that have had certain undertones.

There have been suggestions (not all on here) that I have milked time off sick (incorrect, I'm actually at work, in an adjusted role), or tried to over play the injuries, etc.

In addition, it's actually brilliant for my emotional health to be able to tinker about with cars again, even though it has to be less frequent. It's always been my biggest hobby, it makes me happy, and is, strangely, a form of therapy - which is why I do it. I Certainly don't do so, to make money - when I did that some time ago, I found that the formalities around that, were more hassle than it was ever worth, and I lost a lot of the enjoyment... which is why for a long time, I've been very clear on the forum that any help I give to members, is entirely free of charge

Sorry again if I reacted a little to sensitively to the post, but hopefully you can understand my reasons :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 20 March 2018, 23:20:20 »

James, I really think you're reading undertones that aren't there, to be honest.

We are all aware of what you've been through and I for one am very happy to see you able to working on cars again. End of story. I'm sure I speak for all of the forum regulars.  :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 20 March 2018, 23:22:18 »

James, I really think you're reading undertones that aren't there, to be honest.

We are all aware of what you've been through and I for one am very happy to see you able to working on cars again. End of story. I'm sure I speak for all of the forum regulars.  :y

It's entirely possible, as I have been emotionally quite unwell, in the aftermath of everything physical.

Thanks for the kind words, Kevin :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 20 March 2018, 23:24:03 »

Most recent scans, if anyone has any morbid curiosity  ;D

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 21 March 2018, 01:33:48 »

We are all aware of what you've been through and I for one am very happy to see you able to working on cars again. End of story. I'm sure I speak for all of the forum regulars. 

YES, you do!  :y :y :y

Ron.

STEMO

« Reply #42 on: 21 March 2018, 07:37:19 »

New MOT document comes into force on 2th May:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/mot-inspection-manual-for-class-3-4-5-and-7-vehicles

Currently the draft shows an EML lit as a major fail. ::)

There is nothing in the MOT manual that requires or allows connection to an OBD port so I'd be having a word if they tried that on my car. It's possible that emissions testers designed for the european market have the interface fitted but it's not used in a UK MOT test.
I also notice, in the new rules, that baked bean tin exhaust boxes will be subject to noise level tests.

aaronjb

« Reply #43 on: 21 March 2018, 08:55:12 »

James, you can't put a "spot the difference" picture up and point to the difference, you know.. ;)

One of those things does not look like the others. I'm no doctor, but that can't be good!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 21 March 2018, 09:24:49 »

One of those things does not look like the others. I'm no doctor, but that can't be good!

Works for spark plugs, valves, pistons, bearings, cam lobes, etc. Can't see why it wouldn't work for body bits.  :y
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 23 queries.