Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A nightmare journey  (Read 3170 times)

Kieran

• Dorset
    • View Profile
A nightmare journey
« on: 10 July 2018, 10:07:29 »

So yesterday morning I hitched our new caravan onto the Omega with the family for our holiday to the Netherlands. Getting onto the M25 all good till the drive belt gave up lost all power and had to pull up onto the side slip road. Called the car rescue company who came out and diagnosed a seized alternator which had caused the drive belt to snap. Unfortunately because we have a caravan on the back we would require 2 vehicles to get us to the garage for repairs. The low loader arrived and Omega put on the back then the caravan was hitched up to another recovery vehicle. I was with the recovery vehicle with the caravan attached when suddenly the caravan comes off the recovery vehicle and goes straight across the M25 and hits the concrete barrier separating the motorway direction. Luckily no cars managed to hit the caravan, even though it was 8 in the morning. Police phoned, motorway closed so the caravan could be pushed onto the hard shoulder. Highway agency blamed the recovery vehicle for incorrect hitching. The breakaway cable had snapped due to forces involved. Insurance sorting that out. Car repaired so we decided to carry on with the journey as insurance would cover accomodation in the Netherlands. Car was running well and motoring along the roads in the Netherlands when I felt a loss of power. Hardly any acceleration and just managed to limp to the campsite at 12 in the evening. Woke up this morning started the car running really rough. Smoke pouring out the back so switched it off and have called recovery again. Did a pedal check, lots of codes,0650,0300,0304,0306,0302,0156,0340 etc. The question is, is it terminal and ready to be scrapped. After yesterday, things can't get worse.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: A nightmare journey
« Reply #1 on: 10 July 2018, 10:12:28 »

That's a woeful tale if ever there was :'(

Possible that the alternator connectors have come adrift resulting in a short :-\

What engine?

Hopefully nothing too troublesome... Replacing the loom is relatively straightforward... Could also be a simple as a failed drivebelt ;)
« Last Edit: 10 July 2018, 10:19:10 by Doctor Gollum »
Onanists always think outside the box.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 July 2018, 10:23:20 »

Also, if you are stuck, send Vega a pm... He is in Holland iirc... Plenty of enthusiastic owners there :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 July 2018, 14:06:14 »

What a nightmare! Really sorry to hear that. >:(
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 July 2018, 17:08:47 »

Very sorry for you!  That is all a bloody nightmare! :o :o :o

Hope you can get it sorted, but haven't got the real knowledge to answer your question. ;)

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 July 2018, 17:27:41 »

bugger!!!!!  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( Gutted for you. What a start to your holiday ......  :(

Shackeng

• Omega Lord
  • Ramsbury
    • 3.2 Elite 2.0 TitX Mondeo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 July 2018, 19:11:50 »

https://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90633.0
You should find the codes here under your engine type. HTH :y

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 July 2018, 20:34:40 »

Reminds me of my cousin towing his van to France with a 2.6, sudden death rattle then the crank seized near Dover,if petrol and the codes are right its sounding like a coil pack but the smoke is concerning me
« Last Edit: 10 July 2018, 20:38:50 by omegod »
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 July 2018, 20:49:07 »

By the sound of it if you didn't have bad luck you'd have no luck at all.I'm glad I don't do holidays if that's how they go :D By the time you've done you'll need another holiday to get over this one ::) Seriously though hope you get everything sorted satisfactorily :y

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 July 2018, 09:42:55 »

Some of those codes you posted are very likely due to the first breakdown when battery power was lost,its unlikely to get all those faults at once
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon

Kieran

• Dorset
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 July 2018, 12:20:56 »

Car was running very rough yesterday. Smoke pouring out of the back and not idiling very well. Taken by recovery people who hooked it up to their diagnostic unit. Throughout pissed of at this point so went into their restroom to wait as no use trying to communicate as English wasn't their strong point and my Dutch is non existent. Much to my surprise after about 10 mins car was taken for a test drive and returned to me. TPS not fully connected and smoke has disappeared. Still not idiling correctly or starting straight away. Pretty sure a coil pack failing. Hopefully it will last till I get home next Monday. Thanks to everyone with their best wishes and help. Now just have to sort out the insurance company with regards to my claim.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 July 2018, 15:40:45 »

That's good.  Hope you get back safely.

Yes, my coil pack failed on my last 3.0 and showed the same symptoms, so a replacement is a good idea. :y

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 July 2018, 17:44:04 »

Camber and toe are all over the place once you're in a turn anyway, so I don't think they'll affect anything other than the sharpness of the initial turn-in (generally toe-in dumbs this down and adds stability, toe-out improves turn-in response at the expense of stability).

Whether it over or under-steers in a turn is probably more about the levels of grip at each end, to an extent, the ride height and what happens to the geometry as a result of the changed loading. You can only easily change grip (tyre pressures front and rear?) and ride height.

As has previously been said, though, production cars are designed on the assumption that a normal driver's head will immediately implode if the front of the car is able to out-drive the rear, or even get close to it. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

LFF64

• Omega Knight
  • HADDENHAM BUCKS
    • 64 insignia CT Nav 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 July 2018, 18:06:27 »

Kevin have you answered the wrong post 🤔

aaronjb

« Reply #14 on: 11 July 2018, 20:37:35 »

Kevin have you answered the wrong post 🤔

I think he's been at the chewy beer again.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 22 queries.