Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Have you already bought the last car you will ever own?  (Read 6183 times)

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
Have you already bought the last car you will ever own?
« on: 10 October 2018, 13:45:18 »

This is a good argument with the changes that are going to occur is the 2020s where it might very well be the case.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45786690
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
Re: Have you already bought the last car you will ever own?
« Reply #1 on: 10 October 2018, 13:51:57 »

A paltry 13 years from nags with four legs to being nagged by the woman sitting next to you. :)

STEMO

« Reply #2 on: 10 October 2018, 15:31:57 »

This is a good argument with the changes that are going to occur is the 2020s where it might very well be the case.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45786690
Load of old fanny. The people changed from horse to car because it was quicker and more practical, not because they embraced new technology. How the wotsit are people going to do, say, my wife's journey from our front door in Barnsley to her school in Sheffield? By sharing with another five people being picked up and dropped off on the way? Or are these single seater cars that do just the journey that you order?
People want their own space. If they are forced to buy an electric car, so be it, but using a system that involves other people travelling with you is a no no. It may have to be that way sometime in the future, but not in the 2020's.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 October 2018, 15:41:12 »

Those that benefit from Greed cameras and speed traps will resist this move!

Ron.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #4 on: 10 October 2018, 16:04:16 »

V8 or nothing for me, end of story..

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 October 2018, 18:26:17 »

Autonomous vehicles may start to appear in this timeframe, but not shared cabs (of any description).  Shared cabs don't work now, even traditional car sharing only works for the very few, so why would it work in a few years.  In fact, as we move to a 24/7 society, its less likely to.
Grumpy old man

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 October 2018, 19:11:48 »

Can't see me getting rid of my two and not replacing them with at least one other,that's assuming that at least one of them see me out in the first place so possibly I have bought my last car but not because of self driving technology.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 October 2018, 19:30:18 »

Given that Lord Opti is always predicting the demise of someone or other on here, it's quite possible that we all have bought our last car!  ::)  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 October 2018, 22:40:44 »

I saw that.

Might happen but needs a lot of infrasturucture change. I loved the bit about one per village.

People like their own car. Thatis why there are so many variations on trim, music, features and crucially like to be in control. Like speed, maybe a reckless overtake or a bit over the speed limit.

What happens to all the serviceable fossil fuel cars? I would like to see an electric autonomous car pull a small trailer load of olives out of an olive grove each day as happens each day here for months for hindreds of thousands of farmers.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 October 2018, 18:50:41 »

I suspect electric cars will be forced upon us to move pollution from city centres to downwind of more rural gas powered power stations. Labour London mayor is taking the lead in the UK, but mainland core EU states are making it increasingly difficult to use an older internal combustion car in cities, where you have to display a pollution level badge. Green lobby is very big and strong in Germany which is driving much of this.

Likewise with self-driving cars. Even with the limited automation on Teslas they have found it has reduced accident rates by two thirds when used.

10 years from now you probably won't be able to drive yourself and as a minimum use a hybrid on electric power in all uk large towns and cities. You will also be charged an astronomic insurance premium if it is a non-self driving car.

When it comes to sharing, I agree that has never caught on which is why coaches, buses and passenger trains have all failed. :-X :-X :-X
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 October 2018, 20:23:06 »

I suspect electric cars will be forced upon us to move pollution from city centres to downwind of more rural gas powered power stations. Labour London mayor is taking the lead in the UK, but mainland core EU states are making it increasingly difficult to use an older internal combustion car in cities, where you have to display a pollution level badge. Green lobby is very big and strong in Germany which is driving much of this.

Likewise with self-driving cars. Even with the limited automation on Teslas they have found it has reduced accident rates by two thirds when used.

10 years from now you probably won't be able to drive yourself and as a minimum use a hybrid on electric power in all uk large towns and cities. You will also be charged an astronomic insurance premium if it is a non-self driving car.

When it comes to sharing, I agree means that has never caught on which is why coaches, buses and passenger trains have all failed. :-X :-X :-X

So in just 10 years time a British government will buy the average worker a self driving car, which will be a hybrid or an electric vehicle so they can keep the wheels of industry going and stave off a people's revolt against their means of individual freedom being compromised??  Yes, sure!  ::) ::) ::)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 October 2018, 20:32:21 »

"................oh, and then you have us growing population of over 65's whose ability to get around under our own steam, in our own cars, that gives us freedom and stops us relying on the state to subsidise our travels.  But I suppose the government will either buy us new fangled cars or provide wonderful levels of benefits and social care to overcome our lose of own transport?  Once again, yes ,sure! ::) ::)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 October 2018, 20:42:37 »

It (or something like it) will happen ,but I think it will take longer than ten years. 25 would be more like it imo. As long as Im already dead they can crack on with it.
The free world we once knew is long gone, and unlikely to come back. The youth of today have been educated in such a way that they neither understand the concept, or see any problem with the direction of travel.

Those who live in the middle of Arkansas or Kentucky might last a bit longer than the rest of us, but the state will probably put something in the water to make them compliant.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 October 2018, 21:19:59 »

As somebody recently pointed out to me, the majority of this years university intake have never known anything other than the 21st century. Their disinterest and for some contempt for the sacrifices of WWI (the all deads) and WW2 (the mostly deads) generations are their remoteness and of no interest to almost all of them.

Too many of the Remoaner comments I have seen are based on the fact that Levers were generally older, so they wish, hope and celebrate every one of these deaths and want us all to get on with it, so they are the majority. They are too thick to realise that people generally get wiser and more conservative with age, so for each death an older Remoaner becomes a Leaver, which is why Leavers in surveys are still 52-55% of the voting population. ;D ;D ;D

When we were young one of the joys of going to work was earning more money and owning things like records, hi-fi, motorbikes, cars and then houses, followed by holiday homes, where the current millennial generation are quite happy to lease and rent everything, so they have sky high living expenses and never own anything. :-\

The only thing the younger generations don't seem to like is their stick the nearly deads in homes, so it doesn't affect their self-centred lives, except we don't play by their rules, we are determined to linger and use up all their inheritance money. ;D ;D ;D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 October 2018, 21:45:37 »

Smart governments/ manufacturers will produce different models. Eg.

Elite

CDX

CD

So you arededucted more credits for more comfort features., nothaving to share, not having tochange at a hub and so on.

The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13 October 2018, 01:11:31 »

"................oh, and then you have us growing population of over 65's whose ability to get around under our own steam, in our own cars, that gives us freedom and stops us relying on the state to subsidise our travels.  But I suppose the government will either buy us new fangled cars or provide wonderful levels of benefits and social care to overcome our lose of own transport?  Once again, yes ,sure! ::) ::)
A self driving car, however powered would actual return some of my Mother's independence, as she presumably would not need her medically revoked licence to use it and would then become less dependent on woeful rural bus services and one of the most disrupted rail lines in the UK.

She cannot possibly be alone in being able to benefit from such systems becoming common place... ::)
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13 October 2018, 01:32:33 »

A self driving car, however powered would actual return some of my Mother's independence, as she presumably would not need her medically revoked licence to use it and would then become less dependent on woeful rural bus services
and one of the most disrupted rail lines in the UK.

She cannot possibly be alone in being able to benefit from such systems becoming common place... ::)

Very good point and one that I hadn't considered.  :y

I quite fancy moving out to the 'sticks' and a self driving car would mean that I wouldn't have to move back to a town in my old age.  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

STEMO

« Reply #17 on: 13 October 2018, 09:55:30 »

A self driving car, however powered would actual return some of my Mother's independence, as she presumably would not need her medically revoked licence to use it and would then become less dependent on woeful rural bus services

I quite fancy moving out to the 'sticks' and a self driving car would mean that I wouldn't have to move back to a town in my old age.  :)
Cloud cuckoo land. If I'm still alive in fifty years  ;D I'll refer you back to this post.  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 October 2018, 10:37:39 »

Cloud cuckoo land. If I'm still alive in fifty years  ;D I'll refer you back to this post.  ;D

You won't be.......so you won't be able to.

You'll be dead, buried and forgotten well before then. :)

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13 October 2018, 12:08:03 »

A self driving car, however powered would actual return some of my Mother's independence, as she presumably would not need her medically revoked licence to use it and would then become less dependent on woeful rural bus services and one of the most disrupted rail lines in the UK.

Yes, sounds all great, but who will pay for those cars?  The average pensioner wont be able to afford those that are produced in the next 15 years, or until the cost of them comes down to second hand levels, and the state now certainly won't.  Not even Corbyn can promise that type of social support. 

Local buses and passes are meant to give OAP's those "freedoms", but look at what is happening to them.  In any case being driven around at times convenient to the bus companies, with maybe one bus on a Sunday, or every three hours, and in drafty, smelly, and at times , with threatening fellow passengers, is no "freedom" at all.  Only your own vehicle on your own drive is that freedom!  ::) ::)
« Last Edit: 13 October 2018, 12:12:22 by Lizzie Zoom »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 October 2018, 12:12:16 »

Once again you presume much...

Viable self driving electric cars won't be £80k+ for ever ::)

The current bus and bus pass subsidies are hardly cheap.

Take your independence for granted whilst you are still able... :-X
« Last Edit: 13 October 2018, 12:19:35 by Doctor Gollum »

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 October 2018, 12:13:54 »

Why?  That is the very thing my parents and grandparents generation fought for, and the younger generation should never take for granted no more than we have ;)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 October 2018, 12:21:15 »

Why?  That is the very thing my parents and grandparents generation fought for, and the younger generation should never take for granted no more than we have ;)
That old chestnut... ::) For independence read freedom of mobility, obviously.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 13 October 2018, 12:31:46 »

That old chestnut... ::) For independence read freedom of mobility, obviously.

Yeah, yeah, yeah.............!!!  You and I both know independence and freedom means far, far more than that ::) ::) ::)

I have read history since very young and was in senior management, and that means I have learn't  never to be presumptuous about the things that matter, if at all ;)

So lay off telling me I am and making statements like "Once again you presume much...".  You are far too arrogant and you have to make everything so personal!! >:( >:(
« Last Edit: 13 October 2018, 12:33:45 by Lizzie Zoom »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 October 2018, 12:36:16 »

We will revisit this when you need to walk with two sticks, are unable to stand for long periods and can no longer drive :-X

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13 October 2018, 20:11:45 »

I think autonomous vehicles will still need a responsible human for some time, thus a licence.

True autonomy needs far more infrastructure, and the UK will keep flogging the Victorian train option instead
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #26 on: 13 October 2018, 20:18:57 »

I've just thrashed the bollix off mine on an empty(ish) M1. Razzed through the speed camera gantries at over 90, past all the people who think they're on when they're off, if you get my meaning. An autonomous car wouldn't have let me, miserable bastard things  ;D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13 October 2018, 20:25:49 »

I've just thrashed the bollix off mine on an empty(ish) M1. Razzed through the speed camera gantries at over 90, past all the people who think they're on when they're off, if you get my meaning. An autonomous car wouldn't have let me, miserable bastard things  ;D
Tell that to the magistrate as he cuts your licence in to little pieces ;D

STEMO

« Reply #28 on: 13 October 2018, 20:32:03 »

Tell that to the magistrate as he cuts your licence in to little pieces ;D
I'd just tell him I was cleaning my DPF so as to make my vehicle more environmentally friendly.  :P

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 13 October 2018, 20:34:26 »

That should do it ;D

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 13 October 2018, 23:46:23 »

Quite right you anti social loaf. I bet you had Alvin Stardust on really loud as you tucked into a Ginsters.

Being serious for a minute, once self drive cars are all equipped with monitoring equipment repeat vicious acceleration or braking, hard cornering and certainly all speed limit exceeding will automatically be reported with credits taken from your bank account. The legacy jalopies will be in big demand but only in the grasp of the rich. The post millenials wont miss what they have never known and in any case by then will be able to experience any thrill by VR from the comfort of their own home. Mankind is heading for dulldom.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 13 October 2018, 23:59:58 »

In 50 years time, people who talk about actually driving, being in control of their own car will be seen by young people as mentally deficient, and recklessly suicidal.
Glad I wont be here to see it tbh. Our generation may have lived during the optimum period to be alive, but don't realise it ?
I realise I sound very negative today, but Ive been suffering with a root canal abscess since Monday and its driving me fickin mad.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 14 October 2018, 00:07:46 »

Ye have my sympathy.

Worse when you lay down.

You are spot on about living during the optimum period.

2boxerdogs

« Reply #33 on: 14 October 2018, 11:27:32 »

We were talking at work the other day about how things have changed over the years & some of the younger officers found it hard to believe that when I started school in 1958 I wrote with chalk on a slate, as for vehicles well the future is looking bleak to someone like me but glad to have lived  & enjoyed some vehicles that are definitely considered "bad" to the environment.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 14 October 2018, 11:33:40 »

In 50 years time, people who talk about actually driving, being in control of their own car will be seen by young people as mentally deficient, and recklessly suicidal.
Glad I wont be here to see it tbh. Our generation may have lived during the optimum period to be alive, but don't realise it ?
I realise I sound very negative today, but Ive been suffering with a root canal abscess since Monday and its driving me fickin mad.  ;D

Surely you own a pair of pliers. :)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 14 October 2018, 11:53:37 »

We were talking at work the other day about how things have changed over the years & some of the younger officers found it hard to believe that when I started school in 1958 I wrote with chalk on a slate, as for vehicles well the future is looking bleak to someone like me but glad to have lived  & enjoyed some vehicles that are definitely considered "bad" to the environment.

As a kid of the sixties I would actively breathe in the 5 star leaded fumes from an E-Type or similar if I was lucky enough to come across one.

Perhaps that is why I'm slightly retarded. ::)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 14 October 2018, 11:56:20 »

Castrol "R" in a motorbike engine! :y :y 8)

Ron.

STEMO

« Reply #37 on: 14 October 2018, 12:03:55 »

As a kid of the sixties I would actively breathe in the 5 star leaded fumes from an E-Type or similar if I was lucky enough to come across one.

You'll get no arguments from me.  ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 14 October 2018, 12:52:46 »

It (or something like it) will happen ,but I think it will take longer than ten years. 25 would be more like it imo. As long as Im already dead they can crack on with it.
The free world we once knew is long gone, and unlikely to come back. The youth of today have been educated in such a way that they neither understand the concept, or see any problem with the direction of travel.

Those who live in the middle of Arkansas or Kentucky might last a bit longer than the rest of us, but the state will probably put something in the water to make them compliant;D

They will mate with their sisters and mothers as they have done for generations.

Does anyone have a banjo?

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 14 October 2018, 12:55:08 »

You'll get no arguments from me;D

Nobody said there was a problem with full fat leaded petrol back then..........and smoking forty a day was considered one of your 'five a day'

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 14 October 2018, 17:17:39 »

We will revisit this when you need to walk with two sticks, are unable to stand for long periods and can no longer drive :-X

What has my possible personal situation to do with self drive and only hybrid and electric cars being "the only ones allowed" in 10 years time as per the original suggestion of this thread?

Once more you make things so personal, when all I was doing was commenting about the average working class person, or OAP, who has all their faculties, being forced to get rid of their perfectly good, non-advanced tech, cars, that are still being produced as we speak for vehicles they can not afford to own in just 10 years.  Yes, 10 years, which I was stressing was ridiculous.

Let me expand my explanation so the reality can be grasped.

The suggestion is that ALL car manufacturers will only produce hybrid or electric cars in 10 years time (2040 has actually been the previous, I think realistic, statement by the government), and everyone MUST afford to swap to those vehicles regardless of personal financial circumstances (are electric vehicles currently subsidised to any great extent to reduce the very high retail price?).

Can any government afford to financially assist the millions in the lower income bracket to buy the new form of personalised transport?   

Can the government in just 10 years time be able to bring legislation and road traffic laws in to make it all happen, whilst maintaining "motoring revenues" that currently apply to "traditional" vehicle motorists and not ending up with a political crisis / revolution of the people?

Can any government give jobs to those engaged in the oil industry, and replace the taxation from that sector,that will disappear with such a change in just 10 years time?  Can any government NOW guarantee that in just 10 years time there will be the level of electric generation to power the dramatic increase in cars reliant on that form of energy, or provide the millions of charging points that will be needed away from residential areas, or to people in blocks of flats that are often in the low income bracket outside of the centres of our big cities and towns?

............and so on, with no doubt other considerations that must be dealt with by any government, of any political colour, within 10 years time 

Now I am quoting the 10 years mentioned in the article, but even 15 years would still represent a serious challenge for our politicians and us the people.

BUT, and this is where one person has done what he is accusing me of, assume that I am completely against the new forms of transport envisaged............I am NOT!!  In 25 to  35 years time the motor car in it's traditional, internal combustion engine form, WILL be relegated to museums and classic car rallies.  That can only be an excellent thing for the World and it's people, and with the right political attitude will still give the populous the freedoms of personal transport, with indeed an end to "car park" type driving that we see everyday on our motorways that is actually robbing us of precious time, money  and damaging our health. But time to plan and execute the transition must be given, and the "10 years" quoted is totally unrealistic.

Now you hopefully will fully understand my point of view :D ;)
« Last Edit: 14 October 2018, 17:21:48 by Lizzie Zoom »

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 14 October 2018, 18:31:34 »

I was using personal experience to highlight a potential positive to the autonomous electric car as a viable transport medium for those who are currently bound by public transport.

This could actually be funded by a combination of the current motability scheme and public transport subsidies and would open up a whole world of mobile freedoms to a vast number of people.

Somehow you turned this into a history lecture. And when I clarified my point so that it may be better understood, you then responded with a political lecture on the implementation of electric cars.

What government and the people want to achieve and actually accomplish are often two different things, but I will say this...

The Tesla Model 3, as an example, is available for $35k US. That's the price of a posh Focus. Which, whilst no measure of a decent car, can reasonably be taken as a viable new family car purchase.

Industry will adapt, as it always does, and life will go on, as it always does.

On a side note, you oft accuse me of being arrogant to the point of stupidity. Rest assured that I am far from stupid. Socially awkward probably, but stupid? Far from it.

Whilst you oft present yourself as an expert on several subjects, not least history, politics, law, retail and driving; I don't doubt that you have some commercial experience on specific subjects.

I would politely suggest that in other areas you are but an informed hobbyist blinded by indoctrinated piety.

Now perhaps you understand my point of view.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 14 October 2018, 20:44:25 »

I was using personal experience to highlight a potential positive to the autonomous electric car as a viable transport medium for those who are currently bound by public transport.

This could actually be funded by a combination of the current motability scheme and public transport subsidies and would open up a whole world of mobile freedoms to a vast number of people.

Somehow you turned this into a history lecture. And when I clarified my point so that it may be better understood, you then responded with a political lecture on the implementation of electric cars.

What government and the people want to achieve and actually accomplish are often two different things, but I will say this...

The Tesla Model 3, as an example, is available for $35k US. That's the price of a posh Focus. Which, whilst no measure of a decent car, can reasonably be taken as a viable new family car purchase.

Industry will adapt, as it always does, and life will go on, as it always does.

On a side note, you oft accuse me of being arrogant to the point of stupidity. Rest assured that I am far from stupid. Socially awkward probably, but stupid? Far from it.

Whilst you oft present yourself as an expert on several subjects, not least history, politics, law, retail and driving; I don't doubt that you have some commercial experience on specific subjects.

I would politely suggest that in other areas you are but an informed hobbyist blinded by indoctrinated piety.

Now perhaps you understand my point of view.

Great, we understand our different points of view :D :y :y

Don't worry, I know very well you are far from stupid and I do not recall even remotely suggesting that.  We may not agree on some things but I for one will not throw that charge at you. I Just feel that WE are BOTH unnecessarily personal in our comments and I for one will hold back from that if you do and agree to disagree as applicable.  But actually we do often agree on the result / objective but have our own ways of expressing it! 8) 8) :y :y

aaronjb

« Reply #43 on: 15 October 2018, 10:54:15 »

Came up the M1 on Saturday night and one gantry switched to 50mph; one of the gantries with the "new" style cameras on the left hand side of the gantry. Flash. Flash Flash. Flash Flash Flash it went.

Later on, once we were clear of the roadworks, an ambulance blew past me like I was stood still (and I was doing *cough* 70, officer) past a similar set of cameras but with no limits shown. No flash.

So .. I imagine you'll be perfectly safe and not up in front of the beak.

For that, anyway.

STEMO

« Reply #44 on: 15 October 2018, 13:06:14 »

Came up the M1 on Saturday night and one gantry switched to 50mph; one of the gantries with the "new" style cameras on the left hand side of the gantry. Flash. Flash Flash. Flash Flash Flash it went.

Later on, once we were clear of the roadworks, an ambulance blew past me like I was stood still (and I was doing *cough* 70, officer) past a similar set of cameras but with no limits shown. No flash.

For that, anyway.
Yes, I know. I'm up and down the M1 every week. Me, and lots of others, blat along at about 85 through the gantries. No doubt, one day, they'll catch the lot of us, but until then........ ::)

STEMO

« Reply #45 on: 15 October 2018, 13:08:55 »

BTW...if it was just one camera showing 50, for no apparent reason, fines won't be issued. There was one at Meadowhell that seemed to be permanently stuck on 40. After a while, when we all got used to it, we took no notice of it flashing away.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 15 October 2018, 13:10:57 »

For that, anyway.
Yes, I know. I'm up and down the M1 every week. Me, and lots of others, blat along at about 85 through the gantries. No doubt, one day, they'll catch the lot of us, but until then........ ::)

I can't condone speeding. It's illegal. :)

STEMO

« Reply #47 on: 15 October 2018, 13:13:42 »

For that, anyway.

Who told you that? It's not true. To prove it.....next time you take your tata on to a motorway, open it up a bit. Say, 100mph for a few miles. Bet you don't get a fine.
Try it and let me know.  :)

aaronjb

« Reply #48 on: 15 October 2018, 13:21:34 »

BTW...if it was just one camera showing 50, for no apparent reason, fines won't be issued. There was one at Meadowhell that seemed to be permanently stuck on 40. After a while, when we all got used to it, we took no notice of it flashing away.

There was a reason in this case - temporary roadworks were being erected, so there was a 50 followed by a 40 on the next gantry (only the 50 had a camera) and brave (or stupid) workers (being forced to) milling about in the road

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 15 October 2018, 13:23:20 »

For that, anyway.

Who told you that? It's not true. To prove it.....next time you take your tata on to a motorway, open it up a bit. Say, 100mph for a few miles. Bet you don't get a fine.
Try it and let me know.  :)

It's amazing how easy it is for the Tata to slip past 120 or 130. If this were to happen on the public highway rather than the private road I use I could easily face a ban. :)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 15 October 2018, 13:31:47 »

Would this private road have an "M" in front of it, Doctor? :-X

Ron.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 15 October 2018, 13:36:09 »

Ron.

You may very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment. :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 15 October 2018, 14:06:58 »

Ron.
M stands for Mine :D
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.