Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Front Drop Links  (Read 6622 times)

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
Re: Front Drop Links
« Reply #15 on: 17 July 2019, 12:48:37 »

Thanks DG.
The noise in the passenger seat usually comes from 'Er Indoors; will it cure that?

Ron.

Iv spent a lifetime searching for a cure for that Ron, and Im afraid I have to inform you that there isn't one. If there was, I would have found it.  ;D
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

Migv6 le Frog Fan

• Omega Queen
  • Webs End.
  • Nicole's Papa
    • 3.2 Elite. Boxster. C1.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 17 July 2019, 12:50:12 »

Im pretty sure I fitted Meyle to mine and had no trouble since.  :y
Women are like an AR35. lovely things, but nobody really understands how they work.

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 17 July 2019, 13:10:07 »

Hope they last longer than the Lemforders on there at the moment as they have lasted less than 2 years or 45k...maybe I being optimistic but don't remember replacing them every 2 years before

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 17 July 2019, 13:48:08 »

Hope they last longer than the Lemforders on there at the moment as they have lasted less than 2 years or 45k...maybe I being optimistic but don't remember replacing them every 2 years before
Hence my annual suggestion  ;) if you're doing that sort of mileage then you're probably doing the pads every year, in which case you already have the wheels off...
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 July 2019, 14:21:09 »

Poly ARB bushes are a waste of money. Standard ones are a few quid each IF you need them, which you probably don't. A quick look with a torch will confirm this.

I'd just buy whichever droplinks are readily available, even a £20 pair will last a couple of years which isn't bad for a 15 minute job. And your mileage in two years is a large percentage of the entire OOF Omega mileage ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 July 2019, 14:34:17 »

Meyle HD drop links went on my 3.2 must have been 7/8 years ago now, all good still  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 July 2019, 17:55:57 »

Meyle HD drop links went on my 3.2 must have been 7/8 years ago now, all good still  :y
How many miles?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 18 July 2019, 09:45:15 »

It appeared that ECP were, a few years ago, selling Lemforder stuff likely sourced from dodgy sources...  ...as Lemforder they weren't.  I suspect if there were some fakes going around, all the usual places that this membership uses, such as ebay, would be full of them.

The way I look at it is £20 for a cheap set that *might* last the 1yr warranty period, or £25 for a set likely to last way beyond 5yrs...

...to me, the latter sounds infinitely sensible, cheaper and less hassle. But I'm just the stupid kid from the local comprehensive.
Grumpy old man

amba

• Omega Baron
  • Medway towns
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 18 July 2019, 12:14:27 »

Agree on all sides.

I suppose at the end of the day its how much you are prepared to spend for how often you get the spanners out ..well that's the theory.

As age creeps on the former does sound a better option

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 18 July 2019, 14:34:09 »

It appeared that ECP were, a few years ago, selling Lemforder stuff likely sourced from dodgy sources...  ...as Lemforder they weren't.  I suspect if there were some fakes going around, all the usual places that this membership uses, such as ebay, would be full of them.

The way I look at it is £20 for a cheap set that *might* last the 1yr warranty period, or £25 for a set likely to last way beyond 5yrs...

...to me, the latter sounds infinitely sensible, cheaper and less hassle. But I'm just the stupid kid from the local comprehensive.

This was the thinking years ago on the Autobahnstormers. Pattern drop links were lasting 12 months ...... Similar to brake discs,  some things are worth buying from the respective dealers.

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 18 July 2019, 15:22:11 »

Serek fitted my ATP kits for me (wishbones, track rods and drop links) two years ago with no apparent problems. Without getting my aching bones under the car, how would I know if all is still ok - how would driving be affected?

Ron.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18 July 2019, 15:29:50 »

The car will behave like a jelly whenever you accelerate or brake. Drop links bang as though a wheel has just fallen of at every bump :D

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18 July 2019, 15:49:09 »

Phew, thanks DG - I must be ok then! :y

Ron.

Enceladus

• Omega Knight
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18 July 2019, 16:57:35 »

Use a slim spanner to stop the ball joint rotating whilst you tighten the nuts. A standard open end pushes the rubber sleeve off it's boss/shoulder. Because of the grease inside it's nearly impossible to push the rubber back onto the shoulder and have it stay put. Road grit and water gets in and wears the joints. The original GM rubbers are less likely to push off and so last longer. Made by Sachs/Boge I would guess.

cam.in.head

• Omega Knight
  • West yorkshire
    • omega cdx 2.6 auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18 July 2019, 17:11:24 »

Use a slim spanner to stop the ball joint rotating whilst you tighten the nuts. A standard open end pushes the rubber sleeve off it's boss/shoulder. Because of the grease inside it's nearly impossible to push the rubber back onto the shoulder and have it stay put. Road grit and water gets in and wears the joints. The original GM rubbers are less likely to push off and so last longer. Made by Sachs/Boge I would guess.

Absolutely . Yes this is the reason most ball joints fail. Very few actually ‘wear out ‘ naturally with useage 99% of them fail early due to water / dirt ingress.ive had my carlton since 1990 and only replaced the original drop links with qh items mid 90’s and they’re still fine to this day.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.