Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: wifi  (Read 5453 times)

STEMO

Re: wifi
« Reply #15 on: 14 January 2017, 13:36:00 »

When I log on to my Sky router, it seems to alternate between channels 1 and 11.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 14 January 2017, 13:39:25 »

When I log on to my Sky router, it seems to alternate between channels 1 and 11.
Because its a stupid "unsmart" one...
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 14 January 2017, 13:45:30 »

Scanned one of my Sons Network a few weeks back, seemed the Him and the whole Street were using Ch1, I normally start with 11 if its clear(ish) if not then 6.
Just firing up inSSIDer to count the APs I can see from my armchair, and there is at least 1 AP on every single channel except 12. If everyone would use the non overlapping channels, and stick to 20Mhz width, we'd all get better throughput - but the latter seems to be a penile length measurement for the thickos, and the former is just incomprehendable to the carrot crunchers around here.
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 14 January 2017, 13:46:43 »

31 APs on 2.4Ghz :(
Grumpy old man

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 14 January 2017, 13:52:53 »

Scanned one of my Sons Network a few weeks back, seemed the Him and the whole Street were using Ch1, I normally start with 11 if its clear(ish) if not then 6.
Just firing up inSSIDer to count the APs I can see from my armchair, and there is at least 1 AP on every single channel except 12. If everyone would use the non overlapping channels, and stick to 20Mhz width, we'd all get better throughput - but the latter seems to be a penile length measurement for the thickos, and the former is just incomprehendable to the carrot crunchers around here.

Just looked to see the AP's as well, 2 on ch1 , 3 on ch6, 1 on ch8, 2 on ch11 and theres 1 on ch3 running at 40Mhz! that spanning loads of channels! I'm on ch13 on my own.

STEMO

« Reply #20 on: 14 January 2017, 13:56:03 »

Because its a stupid "unsmart" one...
Works for me, though. Sod everyone else.  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 January 2017, 14:06:51 »

Just looked to see the AP's as well, 2 on ch1 , 3 on ch6, 1 on ch8, 2 on ch11 and theres 1 on ch3 running at 40Mhz! that spanning loads of channels! I'm on ch13 on my own.
11 and 13 are overlapping, non coop. So not ideal.  You'd be better off on 1, sadly 6 and 11 are knackered due to the mongrel on 8.
Grumpy old man

VXL V6

• Omega Lord
  • Solihull
    • 530D M Sport, Elite 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 January 2017, 14:26:50 »

You know you can get wallpaper with a metallic thread in it.... create your own Faraday cage house  ;D

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14 January 2017, 14:54:16 »

You know you can get wallpaper with a metallic thread in it.... create your own Faraday cage house  ;D
For most part, I use cat5. Its only if I'm laying in bath (or works laptop, as the corporate build only supports VPN over wifi, not lan cable :o)...

Mobile, invariably, I use 4g, as its faster than single channel 2.4Ghz wifi...
Grumpy old man

TD

• Omega Knight
  • Swindon
    • Nowt!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 14 January 2017, 15:13:58 »

11 and 13 are overlapping, non coop. So not ideal.  You'd be better off on 1, sadly 6 and 11 are knackered due to the mongrel on 8.

Now on 1, thankyou   :)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 14 January 2017, 16:42:26 »

When I come into Power Im going to have a Ruling that everyone must wrap the Routers in Tin Foil in order to get rid of this interference malarkey.   :D

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14 January 2017, 17:32:55 »

When I come into Power Im going to have a Ruling that everyone must wrap the Routers in Tin Foil in order to get rid of this interference malarkey.   :D
That should see 40 billion Chinese ebay sellers backed up with shit they can't sell :D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Mister Rog

• Omega Baron
  • Wales
    • Volvo XC70 & V70 D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 14 January 2017, 22:52:28 »

Why is it retards around here have no idea about setting up wifi?

'tards.  I think its time to make their life a misery  >:(

I know what you mean but people just don't get it - my Mum for example would just plug in what came in the post.

That's exactly what I do.
Life has enough frustrations without finding the 'instructions' to set-up computer stuff 12 pages into a hidden website, then discovering that they were written by an autistic 12 year old in an obscure Mongolian dialect in a style designed to obfuscate all meaning, and were then translated into English by someone who only speaks Tagalog. A that point it becomes necessary to resist the temptation to 'adjust' the sodding thing with a sledgehammer.

So the procedure is this:

Turn it on.
Use it.
Yup.
And me

didn't know you could do anything other than :-?

Me too. Didn't know there were different channels. Why would I know that ?

“The desire to be a politician should bar you for life from ever becoming one.” Billy Connolly

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 14 January 2017, 23:13:41 »

Why is it retards around here have no idea about setting up wifi?

'tards.  I think its time to make their life a misery  >:(

I know what you mean but people just don't get it - my Mum for example would just plug in what came in the post.

That's exactly what I do.
Life has enough frustrations without finding the 'instructions' to set-up computer stuff 12 pages into a hidden website, then discovering that they were written by an autistic 12 year old in an obscure Mongolian dialect in a style designed to obfuscate all meaning, and were then translated into English by someone who only speaks Tagalog. A that point it becomes necessary to resist the temptation to 'adjust' the sodding thing with a sledgehammer.

So the procedure is this:

Turn it on.
Use it.
Yup.
And me

didn't know you could do anything other than :-?

Me too. Didn't know there were different channels. Why would I know that ?

Here's a better question:

now that we all know that, do we care enough to use the information?

I'm sure you all know my answer, but here it is anyway:

No. I've better uses for the time I would have to spend to decipher how the gibberish about APs etc affect anything I own. Then there's the extreme likelihood of me changing one setting on a whatsit in my front room causes a previously secret missile base in Wheretheoppsisitistan to launch everything at the Isle of Wight.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 15 January 2017, 12:49:38 »

I think the entire population should be allowed to drive high power vehicles from the age of 5, without any form of test or training.  And buses, trains and lorries.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 21 queries.