Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: To VPN or not to VPN  (Read 3348 times)

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
To VPN or not to VPN
« on: 05 December 2018, 17:18:32 »

Is it worth subscribing?
I like red cars

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: To VPN or not to VPN
« Reply #1 on: 05 December 2018, 17:33:56 »

Is it worth subscribing?

Depends what you do, and how often, really ...

If you visit streaming sites, download movies/music/books etc etc from sites where you don't pay .. then as you are probably in breach of copyright rules a VPN will prevent you getting "cease and desist" letters from copyright holders via your ISP.

If you do none of those things, and only visit "sensible and legal" sites then you have nothing to hide, and it is probably not worthwhile

If your only concern is some rogue site identifying you from your IP address then a VPN will hide that to "most" seekers.

Be aware that some, not all, will use an overseas IP as your "false" one ... this can cause problems when trying to use some UK based sites like your bank (which will think you are abroad) and the BBC, (which will stop you watching UK based video streams) as two simple examples.

VPNs are cheap enough now, around £5.00 a month for a decent one , if you are concerned at being identified then just try one, if you don't like the results, bin it .. :)

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 December 2018, 17:38:14 »

I know that I am an ignorant turd, so I will ask - what's a VPN?

Ron.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 December 2018, 17:50:04 »

I know that I am an ignorant turd, so I will ask - what's a VPN?

Ron.

Virtual Private Network

It is simply a way of your computor connecting to the rest of t'internet through a "subsidery" .. thus the link is

your computer - your ISP - your VPN - internet  ..................    so the internet "sees" the VPN not your ISP

normal link is simply

your computer - Your ISP - internet

In order for you to "read" the sites you want to see, the information has to come to you, not the guy next door ... this is done by you having an "IP Address" when you connect to the internet, all pages come to your address for you to read ... so, keeping it simple .. lets say your computer has an address of "47"  (real IP addresses are much longer!!) then the normal link is

your computer at #47 - your ISP - Internet sends everything to #47

with a VPN you have a false number ... lets say #116  it goes

your computer at #47 - your ISP - Your VPN sends everything to #47 - your VPN receives everything at #116 - internet sends everything to #116 ... so your "true" address is hidden

Its a bit like having a surprise package posted to your mate down the road and not to you !! The sender does not know the true destination  :)

The arrangement between you and your mate is a Virtual Private Postbox ...   :)

« Last Edit: 05 December 2018, 17:53:35 by Entwood »

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 December 2018, 17:53:35 »

Thanks Nige, even I understood that! A bit like a P.O. Box number?

Ron.

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 December 2018, 17:54:22 »

Thanks Nige, even I understood that! A bit like a P.O. Box number?

Ron.

Yup ... :)

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 December 2018, 18:07:02 »

I don't do streaming, or anything illegal, more concerned with mobiles used for checking bank details whilst abroad etc.

I have read that they slow down your internet connection :-\
I like red cars

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 December 2018, 18:20:02 »

I don't do streaming, or anything illegal, more concerned with mobiles used for checking bank details whilst abroad etc.

They certainly can, think about the logic of it .. all those who subscribe are connecting to that server and then to the internet ... so it depends how big the servers connection to the internet is, and how many slices it has to be cut up into .... A bit of research into contention ratios etc etc.. or simpy read the forums and see what folk say about changes to speed

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 05 December 2018, 19:13:22 »

Due to how they work, a VPN will make it even slower.

Sounds like you have no need for one.
Grumpy old man

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 December 2018, 22:38:05 »

I used to have a VPN just to connect to OOF, as TB managed to Ban anyone from connecting with a T Mobile connection.

aaronjb

« Reply #10 on: 06 December 2018, 01:13:34 »

Due to how they work, a VPN will make it even slower.

Sounds like you have no need for one.

I'd say if he's doing his banking via HSDPE/LTE etc then I agree with you.

If it's via the "Free" WiFi in the hotel then I very much disagree and say a VPN is more than worthwhile protection against a MITM attack (or rather, it is at least *some* protection against a MITM attack; the app itself ought to prevent SSL stripping, MITM certificate generation etc but who knows? I trust a reputable VPN provider to be more robust in that situation than a mobile app..)

Gaffers

• Omega Queen
  • NE Hampshire/Surrey
    • Ford Ranger Wildtrak
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 December 2018, 06:08:06 »

I have a VPN server built in to my router and it sits on the firewall.  I used it for performing sensitive operations when on the go (such as banking) and for watching rugby whilst abroad.  There are plenty of VPN services  which give you half or a full gigabit for free every month such as tunnelbear.

They help protect against man in the middle attacks but banking apps should be using a decent level of encryption. The VPN gives an extra layer on top. 

STEMO

« Reply #12 on: 06 December 2018, 07:24:15 »

I can't understand why anyone would log in to a banking site via a browser. Or, for that matter, fuel providers, insurance companies, anything financial. Apps are so much easier to use and more secure.

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 December 2018, 08:24:38 »

I can't understand why anyone would log in to a banking site via a browser. Or, for that matter, fuel providers, insurance companies, anything financial. Apps are so much easier to use and more secure.
Not really, apps are just local code. In other words, it should use less data. The data you are interested in is still being transferred over the mobile network. This is still open to local attack (virus/trojan), man in middle attack (false/fake VPN or public wifi or DNS Server). In fact having a banking application installed gives the virus/trojan an attack point, something to infect. Whereas a URL can only be 'hi-jacked' via the methods above.

With regards VPN, if don't need one, don't use one. A lot of the free VPN services are routed through China or Russia for data mining. VPN's are slower due to the fact the data isn't travelling the fastest route and the data needs to be encrypted and then unencrypted.

Personally, I wouldn't use wi-fi (except my own) for any financial or sensitive. In fact I try to use a proper computer when I am banking.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 December 2018, 08:59:27 »

Not necessarily. They are as good as the code monkey who hacked them together. At least, if you know you are using a decent web browser and a trusted internet connection, you are somewhere close to being secure. I won't install 3rd party apps for anything. If they can't make it work in a browser, they won't be having me as a customer. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.