Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EGR cheaters... how, who, what n where?  (Read 2190 times)

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
EGR cheaters... how, who, what n where?
« on: 29 July 2019, 00:29:38 »

So what was the last word on these? Used to be there was none, then I seem to think z22se (or similar) ones can be modded to fit. But looking on ebay there seems to nothing available, used to be a bit of a cottage industry, blokes handy with soldering iron making them for forum members, but doesn't seem to be anything about now? Might be in the market for one if anyone's got any recommendations  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: EGR cheaters... how, who, what n where?
« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2019, 00:41:03 »

on astra and corsa ,in the past, I've just blanked them and had a separate working EGR plugged into the loom to keep the ECM happy
it's odd, some cars never have an EGR fault, others seem to chew through them regardless of brand or cost  :-\

technically  :P it's an MOT fail to tamper with emission related systems now  :-X

what is the issue you have ?

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 July 2019, 07:51:16 »

Just get a beanz tin cut a piece twice as big fold in half, bit of sealer, drill two holes for bolts to go thro, refit and forget..
Hoof'land storeman.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 July 2019, 09:20:03 »

Just to explain a bit more, I already have a blanking plate, no EGR fault codes or anything, just coming to do my spark plugs (+other engine work) and thought now would be a good time to bin the system, as on facelifts they have a much cleaner engine bay in that area.

The SAI is already Chinese fridge now, which also helps tidy the engine bay up a bit. Just trying to do jobs as I find them/in that area. Hence just leaving it plugged in elsewhere isn't ideal, as its the 'space saving' that I'm trying to achieve.  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 July 2019, 09:39:01 »

Just to explain a bit more, I already have a blanking plate, no EGR fault codes or anything, just coming to do my spark plugs (+other engine work) and thought now would be a good time to bin the system, as on facelifts they have a much cleaner engine bay in that area.

The SAI is already Chinese fridge now, which also helps tidy the engine bay up a bit. Just trying to do jobs as I find them/in that area. Hence just leaving it plugged in elsewhere isn't ideal, as its the 'space saving' that I'm trying to achieve.  :)

I'm watching this too, as Ian's MGB won't be using EGR or the SAI(due to home made stainless manifolds) and we want to remove the valve so it looks better.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 July 2019, 10:16:17 »

Just get a beanz tin cut a piece twice as big fold in half, bit of sealer, drill two holes for bolts to go thro, refit and forget..

I find this quicker and easier:

that's a bit of bar turned to fit inside the fitting and the original nut. Took less time to do than sheetmetal, and doesn't need the valve removed to fit either.

I did this because I'd fitted 3.2manifolds, and no longer had the rest of the pipework, so it looks better than just having an open hole:

On the MGB we'll remove the whole assembly, fit a blanking plate to the inlet manifold and tuck the cheater in with the loom.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 July 2019, 16:14:10 »

Thats the ultimate plan with me, too, Nick. I don't think ill be swapping manifolds this time around, but the next time I'm down there I may do.

My Designer mind has a rule - if its not got a function, get rid. Applies to aesthetics as well as engineering. Annoying that its there but blanked off and essentially useless.

I mayyy change the manifolds and I'm currently in the process of replacing the tired old cats, so good time to do it etc.  But unless I can do the egr cheater, then it'll have to wait another day.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 July 2019, 16:38:21 »

It cant be to hard, the cheaters just put a small relay in place of the EGR solenoid and then the contacts switch a set of resistors to model the feedback signals.

There was a circuit on line which was basically that, needs the V6 EGR pin out checking/measuring to get it right

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 July 2019, 16:45:08 »

A quick look suggests A and E are the solenoid coil
D is 5V feed
B is Gnd and C is the feedback signal

So something like:

Although the feedback resistors may need some tweaking

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 July 2019, 18:50:34 »

There's a similar diagram on the forum elsewhere, and i believe they used a Carlton relay to a four pot cheater. As I've said before I'm no electrickery-minded person, but wanted to see if anyone had yet come up with a simple plug n play option. Thanks to Mr Fuse19 as always.  :y

sjc

• Alloa, Scotland
    • Ultra-dull Audi TDi
    • View Profile
If you Elite an MV6, does that make it an MVee-leet?

sjc

• Alloa, Scotland
    • Ultra-dull Audi TDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 July 2019, 18:48:52 »

And circuit diagram:

[/quote]
If you Elite an MV6, does that make it an MVee-leet?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.