Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: High Level Brake light Fitment woes  (Read 4734 times)

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
High Level Brake light Fitment woes
« on: 18 September 2006, 14:58:59 »

Following on from my last thread I was thinking of fitting a rear lip spoiler with the brake light incorporated, trouble was I kept missing them on Ebay so went the high level brake light route instead.

Courtesy of Issunaz having met up with him for a few bits for the Black Omega I got my hands on a high level brake light for mine.

Fun begins, I removed the passenger side rear panel which has the grab handle fixed to only to find no connector for the high level brake light.

Can anyone tell me whether the connector should be there for a high level light, my car is a 97P cd spec Omega whether it was an additional I dont know.

Could anyone suggest any where else the connector might be, I was thinking to open the bundle of cables that run up the side of the passenger side under the back seat.

Could this be hidden under my rear parcel shelf (unchecked area of the car so far)

Any advice, suggestions would be much appreciated
« Last Edit: 18 September 2006, 14:59:55 by nixoro »

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
Re: High Level Brake light Fitment woes
« Reply #1 on: 18 September 2006, 15:11:40 »

Following on from my last thread I was thinking of fitting a rear lip spoiler with the brake light incorporated, trouble was I kept missing them on Ebay so went the high level brake light route instead.

Courtesy of Issunaz having met up with him for a few bits for the Black Omega I got my hands on a high level brake light for mine.

Fun begins, I removed the passenger side rear panel which has the grab handle fixed to only to find no connector for the high level brake light.

Can anyone tell me whether the connector should be there for a high level light, my car is a 97P cd spec Omega whether it was an additional I dont know.

Could anyone suggest any where else the connector might be, I was thinking to open the bundle of cables that run up the side of the passenger side under the back seat.

Could this be hidden under my rear parcel shelf (unchecked area of the car so far)

Any advice, suggestions would be much appreciated

I have a late 96 omega elite and I did the same and fitted a high level rear brake light in the back window which I got from an omega in a scrap yard and had the same problem.

The eu law changed I think in 1998 which required that all new car from that date had to have a centre rear high level brake light, so if your car was built before that there was no requirement to have one so for the omega there was no loom! until the new law came into force, all I did was run a cable to the cars brake lights and took a feed from there, also check your back windscreen that it has the gap in the black surround on thee glass so that you can see the brake light fitted?
Hope it helps
« Last Edit: 18 September 2006, 23:12:04 by jim »
Vauxhall & Halfords Trade Club Card Holder - Irmscher 3.0 V6 Elite & Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
  • Werthers. Winter, too hard.  Summer, too soft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2006, 22:46:00 »

As for the feed, there's a loom behind the spare wheel that you can easily tap into.

Just trace back from the brake cluster.
Mods.  'Hillper boot release'.  Dimming mirror.  Cruise control. Rear parking sensors.  Becker/Rockford Fosgate/Infinity/Alpine audio.

Agemo

• Omega Knight
  • Cleethorpes
  • Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2006, 23:05:59 »

Like the others said, just connect it to the other brake light wires, mine is a '96 CDX and I put in a high level brake light from an Omega Elite, works a treat, and doesn't show up as an error on the MFD.
 :)
« Last Edit: 18 September 2006, 23:07:14 by Agemo »

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
  • Werthers. Winter, too hard.  Summer, too soft.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 September 2006, 23:25:42 »

Thanks for confirming that Agemo.  I have been wondering if a second bulb would affect the sensor!
Mods.  'Hillper boot release'.  Dimming mirror.  Cruise control. Rear parking sensors.  Becker/Rockford Fosgate/Infinity/Alpine audio.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 September 2006, 11:06:17 »

Thankyou for all the responses sounds good, but what jim has mentioned you need the rear window with a gap on it has me thinking I may not be able to fit it.

Can someone post up a piccy of the correct windscreen to have to benefit from having the high level brake light.

My rear windcreen has the black strip right across the top but having tried it in place looks to be ok, although there are little black dots below the black strip that go right across the window at the top, but that shouldn't affect it imo.
« Last Edit: 19 September 2006, 11:07:00 by nixoro »

Auto Addict

• Administrator
  • North Birmingham
  • Back to Vx to keep TB happy
    • Astra K Elite ST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 19 September 2006, 14:09:13 »

Hope this helps....

I like red cars

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 September 2006, 15:24:50 »

Hope this helps....

Cheers Auto Addict I think I have possibly the wrong rear window great  :(. Would a facelift and pre facelift be the same type rear window.

Silly :question but thought I would ask

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #8 on: 19 September 2006, 18:37:24 »

Hope this helps....

Cheers Auto Addict I think I have possibly the wrong rear window great  :(. Would a facelift and pre facelift be the same type rear window.

The rear windscreen on the facelift is the same as a pre-facelift model if fitted after 1998 8-)
Vauxhall & Halfords Trade Club Card Holder - Irmscher 3.0 V6 Elite & Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite

Agemo

• Omega Knight
  • Cleethorpes
  • Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 September 2006, 20:13:00 »

Thanks for confirming that Agemo.  I have been wondering if a second bulb would affect the sensor!

I think that a bulb probably would affect the MFD, however, the brake light is just a row of LEDs so the power drain is minimal.
 ::)

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
  • .:The OmegaProject:.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 September 2006, 11:17:14 »

I take it you have glass cover with your car insurance?

It would be a terrible shame if you came out in the morning and your rear screen was mysteriously smashed, AutoGlass would have to come out and fit a new one, with the gap for the brake light of course. Get me?  ;)

I know somone who had this happen.  ::)
OmegaProject.co.uk .:.  Fuelled with passion...
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Glasgow
    • Irmscher 3.2 V6 Elite
    • View Profile
    • My Vauxhall Omega's
« Reply #11 on: 21 September 2006, 16:33:45 »

I take it you have glass cover with your car insurance?

It would be a terrible shame if you came out in the morning and your rear screen was mysteriously smashed, AutoGlass would have to come out and fit a new one, with the gap for the brake light of course. Get me?  ;)

I know somone who had this happen.  ::)

Who was that!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 September 2006, 21:23:35 »

Who was that!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)
I'm taking the fifth...I would never drop you in it.  ;)
« Last Edit: 21 September 2006, 21:24:08 by Kev »
[img name=signat_img_resize]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l92/xthreezero/omegaproject/oof-sig.jpg[/IMG]

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 September 2006, 12:46:56 »

Well took the plunge and fitted it yesterday to see what its like, now the light itself sits just below the black strip and the led's are perfectly visible through the dimples on the rear window so looks good.

May fail an MOT but for the moment the light is perfectly visible to the cars behind.

Oh and I like the idea of the winscreen done on the insurance shall give that some thought.  :)

Kev

• Omega Knight
  • Glasgow
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 September 2006, 10:38:30 »

Oh and I like the idea of the winscreen done on the insurance shall give that some thought.  :)
Yep, that would be terrible if you came out to find that window smashed.  ;)

Just make sure when you ring AutoGlass that they bring the correct one, tell them you have the high level brake light, cos if you just give 'em the year of the car they'll probably show up with the standard window.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.