Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: V8 Big Brake UPGRADE 220$  (Read 5786 times)

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
Re: V8 Big Brake UPGRADE 220$
« Reply #30 on: 23 March 2010, 08:53:02 »

ABS kicking in does not increase your stopping distances. 
A locked wheel thats sliding on the surface has less coefficient of friction then one that is rolling on it...

Only time a non ABS vehicle stops faster then ABS one is on a gravel surface where some of the gravel piles up in front of the wheel and acts as a brake.

let's just expand a bit on what I said.

on a standard car, with standard brakes on a dry road, you will reach (for the sake of argument) 1.0g deceleration, at which point one end will lock up because you've run out of grip. That's when the ABS kicks in.

so the best braking you can achieve under these circumstances will be 1.0g

on a car with significantly more front-end braking, but no more rear end braking, the front will lock up earlier at, say 0.9g simply because you're applying more force at the front. ABS will kick in therefore at, say, 0.9g

so in this case, the best braking you'll achieve will be 0.9g

any car actually using its ABS will have increased stopping distances.

2woody

• Omega Baron
  • Northumberland
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 23 March 2010, 09:06:28 »

Brakes are designed to convert kinetic energy into heat via friction between the brakes and the rotor.

So any of the pad you choose will be significantly larger compared to stock.
Clamping forces from the larger twin caliper wtih 44mm pistons will provide the necessary force to squeeze the larger pads onto the rotors.

As a result you have more heat dissipation due to the larger pad/caliper combo and more effective braking.

the actual size of the pad doesn't affect the braking force per se, it does, however, make the pad much more stable and more resistant to fade. In addition, the pad lasts much longer.

the key elements affecting the force are connected with friction and torque. Torque depends on a lever - so the further the piston is away from the centre of the disc, the higher the braking force you can generate - this is why bigger brake discs are better (as are bigger wheels for that matter). Friction, meanwhile is connected to the clamping force.

certain formula racing series here in Europe used the Omega / Catera rear brake caliper on the front for many years and they have tiny pads.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that this mod is bad, far from it - seeking to improve braking performance is a great thing to do. I'm really just highlighting that there's more to increasing braking performance than a bigger caliper at one end of the car

I'm just off to find out why my brake calculator can't cope with calipers having two pistons both on the same side  :-? and then I'll maybe have some predicted deceleration figures to post.

david_omega

« Reply #32 on: 08 April 2010, 08:46:20 »

considering a set of these for the UTE project car im building.

TECHNOPUG

• Islington - London & Essex
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 20 May 2010, 12:47:21 »

Hi,

Already have them bolt on.
I used the Holden Monaro brake pads.

Look here it is in Dutch but you will get an idea.

You can still use the 15" original steel rims

Peter

Are the Goodridge hoses off the shelf or custom jobs?

Vega

• The Netherlands
    • Omega Saloon 3.2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 20 May 2010, 18:03:36 »

Are the Goodridge hoses off the shelf or custom jobs?

The are custom made.

Peter
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.