Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Alarming clonking noise offside front  (Read 5943 times)

dave the builder

• Omega Lord
  • Derbyshire
    • omega b2 2.6 cdxi
    • View Profile
Re: Alarming clonking noise offside front
« Reply #15 on: 09 July 2018, 09:25:05 »

If it's not that wishbone rear bush, then have you checked the anti-roll bar drop links are done up properly - the one in the photo appears to have been greased recently, and it much newer than the rest of the suspension. I'd back both top and bottom nuts off a few turns then re-tighten to the correct torque (400Nm + 180 degrees  :D ). I had one work lose on the Carlton and the banging it made sounded like the front end was about to fall off.
that is a good point , :y
had the same before and was shocked at what a big  clunk just one end of the arb link bolt being slightly loose ,it took some tracking down (arb links felt tight with car jacked ), found by someone bouncing the car at the back while i looked at suspension at front .

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 09 July 2018, 09:31:58 »

That bush is definitely shot... Thanks for the clearer picture confirming it ;)

Incidentally, if you, or anyone else, attempts to tighten their drop links to 400NM, expect to be replacing them :o

Think you'll find that is the hub nut setting, and that drop links are 60NM ::) BFT is generally enough, but it does pay to recheck after a week or so :y
Onanists always think outside the box.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 July 2018, 09:59:36 »

Incidentally, if you, or anyone else, attempts to tighten their drop links to 400NM, expect to be replacing them :o

Think you'll find that is the hub nut setting, and that drop links are 60NM ::) BFT is generally enough, but it does pay to recheck after a week or so :y

Drop link torque is hardly critical, and 60Nm is a tweak with an appropriate spanner.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09 July 2018, 10:08:05 »

Officially, it's actually 65Nm...

Potayto, Potarto :D

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 09 July 2018, 10:48:17 »

T'was a joke  :D

However, no reason why over tightening the nuts will affect the ball joints. IIRC they're M12, so anything up to 100Nm shouldn't be an issue (until you need to get them off again).

terry paget

• Omega Baron
  • Midsomer Norton Somerset
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 09 July 2018, 16:59:59 »

If it's not that wishbone rear bush, then have you checked the anti-roll bar drop links are done up properly - the one in the photo appears to have been greased recently, and it much newer than the rest of the suspension. I'd back both top and bottom nuts off a few turns then re-tighten to the correct torque (400Nm + 180 degrees  :D ). I had one work lose on the Carlton and the banging it made sounded like the front end was about to fall off.
Thanks, good suggestion. Today I checked the RH drop link, undid the nuts a couple of turns, then retightened them to 65Nm. Sadly, the clonk is still there.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 09 July 2018, 18:06:34 »

That sounds just like a knackered droplink. Apparently. Don't ask how I know ;D
Grumpy old man

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 09 July 2018, 18:09:51 »

As others have said, that rearward bush is shot. Completely buggered.  I suspect the front isn't far behind.

Get a pry in between the wishbone and the steering knuckle, and look for play there as well.

Personally, I do subscribe to the refurbing old wishbones, based on the fact that GM ones are stupid money and everything else is utter shite, including that shite from ATP.  But each to their own.
Grumpy old man

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 July 2018, 18:27:30 »

Thanks, good suggestion. Today I checked the RH drop link, undid the nuts a couple of turns, then retightened them to 65Nm. Sadly, the clonk is still there.

How did you check the condition of the droplink balljoints without completely disconnecting at least one of them?

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 09 July 2018, 19:42:16 »

How did you check the condition of the droplink balljoints without completely disconnecting at least one of them?
I removed both nuts and the drop link from the car. It had been a new one when fitted in the last 2 months. The noise is not the chattering of a failing ball joint, it is of a sudden slipping. In fact initially I overtightened it, my torque wrench was set to 105Nm for wheel nuts, when I realised this I loosened them again and retorqued to 65Nm.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 09 July 2018, 19:43:53 »

That sounds just like a knackered droplink. Apparently. Don't ask how I know ;D
Really? I have another spare. Do you think it is worth swopping?

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 09 July 2018, 19:45:08 »

No.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 July 2018, 19:48:06 »

As others have said, that rearward bush is shot. Completely buggered.  I suspect the front isn't far behind.

Get a pry in between the wishbone and the steering knuckle, and look for play there as well.

Personally, I do subscribe to the refurbing old wishbones, based on the fact that GM ones are stupid money and everything else is utter shite, including that shite from ATP.  But each to their own.

terry paget

• Omega Baron
    • 3 Astras 2 Vectra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 09 July 2018, 19:58:54 »

I've been running with ATP wishbones for years, they seem good and cheap. I have already tried prying apart the steering knuckle ball joint, it seemed OK.
The noise is just like I have known before with loosely fitted drop links.

My problem is Tuesday 3 July I had a skin graft from groin to scalp to replace a patch of skin cancer. I was ordered to keep it dry and not bash it about. This makes changing a wishbone difficult and ill advised. But I have a serious car fault, which I have not yet diagnosed. Do we believe the wishbone failed joints could be the problem, having passed an MOT in the last month?

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09 July 2018, 20:21:57 »

As the car has recently passed the MOT, could you not carry on using it until you,re in a more robust state to do the job.? :-\
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.