Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: New Defender  (Read 6537 times)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
New Defender
« on: 10 September 2019, 23:08:56 »

The New Land Rover Defender was launched at the Frankfurt Motor Show today and I quite like the look of it.  :y

Although it's certainly not a Defender in the traditional utility vehicle sense, if I had £40,000-£50,000 to blow on a big 4x4 I'd certainly consider it over the Discovery 5!  :)

Lord Opti will be pleased to hear that it can have a 400bhp  3ltr straight 6 petrol engine!  :y  With mild hybrid whatever that is?  :-\  ;D

Can't see many farmers buying them, but they'll be great for the school run!  ;D

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7447869/Is-new-Land-Rover-Defender-glorious-4x4-reinvention-yummy-mummy-wagon.html
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: New Defender
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2019, 23:12:16 »

Looks like a rebadged Toyota FJ Cruiser ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 September 2019, 23:25:02 »

Or a Skoda Yeti on steroids?  :D

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 September 2019, 23:44:36 »

Looks a bit of a minger to me. :-\
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 September 2019, 23:53:38 »

:-\ :-\ :-\

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2019, 00:32:08 »

What I'd say is - if Land Rover made a rebodied version of the Evoque, with square-ish lines, badged it as Defender, with all the retro they could throw it it (a la Fiat Panda to 500) they'd have saved a ton of cash in design, testing etc, hell, it could even be 2WD. Yummy Mummies, Chelsea Tractorists, etc would lap it up proudly boasting they have a Defender.... all the while purists would be howling "that's not a Defender!"...

instead, they've made something which must surely be the most capable 4x4 they've ever made (just look at the specs/tech packed in this thing, Mr Google can help with this) And some other things I wasn't expecting...

Steel wheels on the base model - sound silly, but what a bold move for a £40k car, making a clear statement this is a utility vehicle. And 100% true to spirit of original.
Van version - this made me re-read it. Yes! you will be able to buy a commercial version of this car. They have not turned their back on a core demographic/customer base
Price - wasn't sure what they'd do - they could probably get away with going Range Rover money and idiots would pay it - £35k (ex vat) for the van version to about £60k. Check the interweb, old models ranged from £23k to £62k for the Autobiography, so given the huge kudos/demand this will have, they've not been greedy. People are screaming the prices are high - the Evoque starts at £31k - I'd argue this is twice the car an Evoque is, for not much more money.

Opinions, like genetalia we all have them, some's nicer to look at than others  :D but actually don't feel too negative about new Defender.  :y
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

aaronjb

« Reply #6 on: 11 September 2019, 07:10:09 »

I kinda like it - agree it's very Toyota FJ though, more than Defender.

I'd still have a proper Defender...

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 September 2019, 07:36:50 »

Obviously I am biased and have a lot of inside knowledge.

The 90 I really like and I expect will be 35k inc vat.

It is stupidly capable off road, all models getting Hi/Low range box, locking centre diff and loads of ground clearance.

The Evoque platform (D8) is not nearly good enough for this type of vehicle, there is to much flex, its not scalable to a large enough size, its to heavy, the list goes on. Hence why it is derived from the D7u platform instead.

Mr Opti would appreciate the straight 6 petrol, its pretty wild!

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 September 2019, 10:16:31 »

Indeed, no way am I suggesting a rebodied Evoque would be a good thing, just that the 'easy money' route would have been something like that, and the car industry has done it many a time. Cash in on the kudos/reputation of an old name, withoiyut really capturing the spirit of the original. Mini the best example.

I also notice from pics there's black checkerplate (?) panels ont he bonnet  - looks like you're expected/able to stand on it, use it like a climbing frame like the original?

Personally this is one of those instances where my favourite model is the base model. Panda, C30, Caterham, 911 etc... all feel at their best doing their job simply, without frills...
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 September 2019, 10:25:19 »

What's the Mild Hybrid thing about Mark?  ???

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 September 2019, 11:25:46 »

What's the Mild Hybrid thing about Mark?  ???

MHEV in basic terms, is a big alternator come motor where the alternator goes (a 3 phase machine)

It harvests power under braking and bungs it into a 48V battery, this can then be used to assist acceleration, run without the engine at low speeds, and more importantly, supports the 48V electric supercharger on the 400bhp straight six.  ;D ;D

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 September 2019, 11:39:13 »

Indeed, no way am I suggesting a rebodied Evoque would be a good thing, just that the 'easy money' route would have been something like that, and the car industry has done it many a time. Cash in on the kudos/reputation of an old name, withoiyut really capturing the spirit of the original. Mini the best example.

I also notice from pics there's black checkerplate (?) panels ont he bonnet  - looks like you're expected/able to stand on it, use it like a climbing frame like the original?

Personally this is one of those instances where my favourite model is the base model. Panda, C30, Caterham, 911 etc... all feel at their best doing their job simply, without frills...

The design brief was certainly to be able to perform as per the original, being a smaller manufacturer we have to be the best in our market for what we offer. For Defender it was its off-road/go-anywhere ability so that was critical in the new one.

The commercial ones look like they would do the job the old ones did on say a farm, extreme climates etc etc with even better off road ability.

Then of course there are the bling filled loaded examples for those who want them.  :y

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 September 2019, 11:41:24 »

85 ecus doesn't seem particularly military friendly :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 September 2019, 11:45:29 »

Obviously I am biased and have a lot of inside knowledge.

The 90 I really like and I expect will be 35k inc vat.

It is stupidly capable off road, all models getting Hi/Low range box, locking centre diff and loads of ground clearance.

The Evoque platform (D8) is not nearly good enough for this type of vehicle, there is to much flex, its not scalable to a large enough size, its to heavy, the list goes on. Hence why it is derived from the D7u platform instead.

So when your heritage place buys one, will you be repeatedly cursing and grumbling about it.

;D
Grumpy old man

henryd

• Omega Lord
  • west cornwall
  • VW Touareg R5 tdi Auto
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 September 2019, 11:46:11 »

85 ecus doesn't seem particularly military friendly :-\

Don't think many farmers will want them either !!! :-X
other rides 
  mk3 Volvo v70 2.0 Diesel ,Citroen C2, Pug 306 cabriolet
  Sterling elite trekker pikey wagon
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 22 queries.