Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Camshafts  (Read 6700 times)

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Cmashafts
« Reply #15 on: 01 April 2018, 13:57:12 »

Not much in the A vs J, J are milder and more emission friendly as fitted to later 3.2. If your going to the trouble of swapping Cams I wouldnt swap the J,s for A,s, fit 4 x G,s, as you say your lose some lower end torque but more grunt at the top end. If your taking off or swapping Heads do a DIY port job on them.

I used to have a Ex Police 3.0 with 4 x Gs, and inlarged Trottle Bodies and a re Chip, went really well, plenty of Mid and Upper grunt, adding KN cold feed and Performance Exhaust improved it more.

My 3.2 Manual Ex Plod runs standard G and Js, also has Widened TBs and KN Cold Feed, ECU ReMap and Performace Exhaust, the ReMap and Exhaust made a big difference, and is still the quickist 3.2 Ive ever driven.

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 April 2018, 14:15:08 »

The omega can be turned into a fast saloon

Maybe in its day, by late 1990s standards. Or with a V8 conversion.

The Omega will be shut down by many modern Golf, Seat Leon, Audi, BMW etc.

I’m not denying it’s swift and capable. But to try and squeeze another 50bhp from the old V6 design, is a pretty pointless exercise.

It’s capable enough in standard, well maintained form.

If you want something “quick” you’re barking up the wrong tree with Omegas.

In terms of your “only answer the question or don’t post” requests, that’s not going to happen. Forums are about people sharing opinions, whether you want to read them, or not.

However in answer to your question there is little benefit upgrading exhaust cams beyond “A”. It’s only the inlet valves that have any noticible benefit from the extra lift of G cams :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 April 2018, 18:23:47 »

I remember a forum meet many, many years ago now which ended up on a runway. Some of the best 3.0 and 3.2 examples were there, they were young as well, many under 100k.

Elite Pete turned up in his MX5, oh how there were jokes about that.

But then they drag raced, the MX5 spanked every Omega there.

The Omega is not a fast car, it’s a cruiser with a decent bit of go. So fit your S,G,Z,K cams or whatever you like, you maybe gain a few ponies. But it’s not going to do a lot!

Sounds like you can twirl the spanners, so either fit a V8 and easily gain 150bhp. Or buy something which is genuinely a fast car.
« Last Edit: 01 April 2018, 18:25:39 by tunnie »

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 April 2018, 18:29:56 »

I remember a forum meet many, many years ago now which ended up on a runway. Some of the best 3.0 and 3.2 examples were there, they were young as well, many under 100k.

But then they drag raced, the MX5 spanked every Omega there.

The Omega is not a fast car, it’s a cruiser with a decent bit of go. So fit your S,G,Z,K cams or whatever you like, you maybe gain a few ponies. But it’s not going to do a lot!

Sounds like you can twirl the spanners, so either fit a V8 and easily gain 150bhp. Or buy something which is genuinely a fast car.

What he said :y

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 April 2018, 18:47:32 »

That'll have been Newark York organised by Ian. They were both good meets,  though lacking slightly in the bathroom/showering dept.  :y

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 April 2018, 19:06:56 »

That'll have been Newark York organised by Ian. They were both good meets,  though lacking slightly in the bathroom/showering dept.  :y

I think I was there with a mate, as we happened to be in York that weekend.

So long ago! Well feels like it.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 April 2018, 20:00:11 »

The easiest and most cost effective way to a fast Omega is to start with a manual 2.2(which is worthless) and spend a couple of hours bolting in a 2.2 turbo(Astra turbos are also worthless).
Standard that gives you the same power as a V6; 350hp is a turbo change, and 500hp(or more) is doable. 300hp from a V6 is also doable, but will cost several thousand pounds and won't suit suit the heavy car.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 April 2018, 20:02:30 »

I think I was there with a mate, as we happened to be in York that weekend.

So long ago! Well feels like it.

An Omega V6 and manual box in an MX5 ought to be cheap and fun. Although it's what the Rx8 Wankel should have been fitted to.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 April 2018, 21:25:07 »

The easiest and most cost effective way to a fast Omega is to start with a manual 2.2(which is worthless) and spend a couple of hours bolting in a 2.2 turbo(Astra turbos are also worthless).
Standard that gives you the same power as a V6; 350hp is a turbo change, and 500hp(or more) is doable. 300hp from a V6 is also doable, but will cost several thousand pounds and won't suit suit the heavy car.

4 pot has bags of room in engine bay as well, so should make working on it easy.

Loved that about my old 2.2

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 April 2018, 21:38:10 »

I am holding off that little project with mine until it has been MoTd...

If it fails, then short term, it will need replacing... Long term /if it passes then I might start collecting bits...
Onanists always think outside the box.

laney101

• Intermediate Member
  • liverpool
    • omega elite v6
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 02 April 2018, 07:55:18 »

im not fitting turbo or supercharger .. and not going 2.2... nor am i going manual
v6 is quick you cannot say a 7/7.5 sec car isnt quick haha.. considering the car is 15 years old ... heavy and based on even older senator underneath there are good (REASONABLY fast) big saloons.. shocks a lot of cars..

i do N/A tuning always have done..  i build engines .. for myself other people and do custom fab and engineering work for people on all sorts of cars..

i will go ahead with what i know and see what outcome is...

my plan is tubular manifolds long primaries.... 3.0 heads skimmed for raised compression .. ported by myself ... either g+a cams reprofiled via newman cams orr piper cams... ported inlet manifold and throttle body... piggy back unichip ecu orr standalone ecu.  should make a good difference.. yes may only make 30-40bhp but will make a hell of a difference... and people who say other wise are none the wiser.. going from a 2.6 auto to a 2.6 manual to a 3.2 auto you can tell a big difference.. 2.6 - 3.2 is only 40bhp and it night and day difference... add that 40bhp again and going to make a difference not as much as you start to see deminishing returns...

none of above expensive if your handy.

heads cost me 50..
skimming myself... porting myself... standard cams full set 60 quid
 reprofile via newman 250 quid
exhaust flange plates 60 quid ebay
some pipe etc unkown cost not a lot budget 100 quid ish
uncihip was 350 last time i checked ... standalone unknown not looked that far yet...

so for 810 quid could potentially have a 250/260bhp car poss more.. i wouldnt call that too expensive...

and before people jump their guns... yes i know i havnt included cabelt kit etc gaskets blah blah.... cars needs it cambelt doing this year with rocker gasket etc.....
so that was getting done anyways all i need is head gaskets inlet and exhuast gaskets seen full top end kits for £100 from FAI.

after all this we see how it goes .. expensive later option is the jenvey 6 ITB kit which bolts on and fits under omega bonnet . should give a good hike.

i shall do dyno runs before and after and see what we get and keep people posted

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 02 April 2018, 11:03:25 »

Despite not being sure about being worth while, I respect that that’s a personal decision for the individual, I’m still curious to hear about your progress and wish you every success with the project :y

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 02 April 2018, 11:05:18 »

Just a thought. Any benefit in changing the pistons?

The 3.2 ones have indentations in the crowns to reduce compression .... (part of the green save the trees brigade etc)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 02 April 2018, 11:40:13 »

going from a 2.6 auto to a 2.6 manual to a 3.2 auto you can tell a big difference.. 2.6 - 3.2 is only 40bhp and it night and day difference... add that 40bhp again and going to make a difference not as much as you start to see deminishing returns...
The "feel" difference is in the torque.  Sounds like you're going for BHP obviously towards the top of the rev range.  But an extra 40+ BHP is worthwhile, but in an Omega, if you do it at the expense of low end, the driveability of a heavy car with a very old autobox design goes out of the window.

That's not to say you shouldn't do it ;)

I once had a 2.5 with 3l cams, superchipped, allegedly not massive far away powerwise from the 3.0l I had at the same time (albeit broken at the time).  It wasn't even in the same league TBH, as again, the cams and the chip was all about power at higher revs, to give the pub-boast BHP figures.  Sadly, said car only lasted about a month before it gave up ;D

seen full top end kits for £100 from FAI.
Sometimes cheaper to buy gaskets seperately. ANd for exhaust manifold, might be worth getting MLS type, as fitted by GM to 3.2/
Grumpy old man

deviator

• Omega Knight
  • Chesterfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 April 2018, 17:08:49 »

As you seem to have have discovered, the J cams are great, at keeping the door open. Nothing else.

Just to correct you earlier, the later Vec GSI 2.6 had 4 x A for maximum torque. Personally, I prefer torque to BHP. Also if you are sending them off to be reground, just send the J's as they have no value.
FCR and cam lock off kit available. Deposit maybe required. Contact me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.