Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 1 day car insurance..  (Read 3064 times)

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
1 day car insurance..
« on: 02 May 2013, 23:11:55 »

Looking for the cheapest place online for 1 day insurance to drive a car i intend to buy, But the car has no mot/tax and probably on Sorn   : -\ Anyone know of a website who doesn't charge the earth ? :)

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
Re: 1 day car insurance..
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2013, 23:13:23 »

I believe there's a kind of loophole regarding cars such as these book an mot and as long as it has insurance its ok  :-\

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2013, 23:18:04 »

Yes, you can drive an untaxed vehicle to a pre booked MOT as long as it is insured, day insurance is sufficient.

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 May 2013, 23:20:58 »

Yes, you can drive an untaxed vehicle to a pre booked MOT as long as it is insured, day insurance is sufficient.
Even if the mot garage is 200 odd miles away ? ... I can't really mot it where it is as its most likely going to fail on a few minor things which would need to be sorted closer to home...

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 May 2013, 23:24:26 »

Even if the mot garage is 200 odd miles away ? ... I can't really mot it where it is as its most likely going to fail on a few minor things which would need to be sorted closer to home...

I'd say that was stretching the letter of the law a little  ::)

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 May 2013, 23:26:16 »

I'd say that was stretching the letter of the law a little  ::)
I'm just going to have to risk it any other way just wouldn't be cost affective  :-\

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 May 2013, 23:30:08 »

This is a grey area. Technically you could, if you took a direct route. I have known for traffic officers to pursue drivers for no MOT/ RFL for these extended journeys though.

For me, my trade plates would cover the lack of RFL, but not MOT.

It is worth bearing in mind, if you were to drive past ANPR you would show as uninsured, lacking MOT and RFL. The vehicle's details would not have been put on the Motor Insurers Database (MID) so it would be crucial to have any policy numbers to hand.

Is it not practical to get the vehicle MOT'd near the collection point?
Personally, I 100% understand it's not desirable as I trust my MOT place without fail, and would be hesitant in using another...but I would not risk driving 200 miles.

omegod

• Omega Baron
  • liverpool
    • 2017 Seat Ateca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 May 2013, 23:31:55 »

Put an ad on shiply for someone to haul it back for you, it will certainly be cheaper than the fine for taking the p*ss with driving a possibly dangerous car back
Happy to do Omega servicing etc around Merseyside,cruise activation, airbag lights sorted too...

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 May 2013, 23:35:25 »

This is a grey area. Technically you could, if you took a direct route. I have known for traffic officers to pursue drivers for no MOT/ RFL for these extended journeys though.

For me, my trade plates would cover the lack of RFL, but not MOT.

It is worth bearing in mind, if you were to drive past ANPR you would show as uninsured, lacking MOT and RFL. The vehicle's details would not have been put on the Motor Insurers Database (MID) so it would be crucial to have any policy numbers to hand.

Is it not practical to get the vehicle MOT'd near the collection point?
Personally, I 100% understand it's not desirable as I trust my MOT place without fail, and would be hesitant in using another...but I would not risk driving 200 miles.
I'll be using back roads mostly but as you've mentioned ANPR is the problem,

MOT near the location is going to make things worse as i'm pretty sure it'll fail on shocks and the rear discs have seen better days and other little things, But unless if i was to book an MOT locally and it did fail would it be legal to drive home or just try the book an MOT with a garage local to me ?

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 May 2013, 23:38:21 »

Put an ad on shiply for someone to haul it back for you, it will certainly be cheaper than the fine for taking the p*ss with driving a possibly dangerous car back
Drives fine in that way looks like any other car body wise so wouldn't look out of place..

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 May 2013, 23:43:56 »

You can drive to a pre booked MOT, from a pre booked MOT to a place of repair and back to the MOT centre for the re test.
The distance is your issue, and if the vehicle is likely to fail, it would not be prudent to drive it 200 miles.
Small issues I would accept, but if the shocks and rear discs are suspect, if you got pulled, it would simply make things worse for you.
Where is the vehicle currently located, what size is it?

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 May 2013, 23:48:42 »

You can drive to a pre booked MOT, from a pre booked MOT to a place of repair and back to the MOT centre for the re test.
The distance is your issue, and if the vehicle is likely to fail, it would not be prudent to drive it 200 miles.
Small issues I would accept, but if the shocks and rear discs are suspect, if you got pulled, it would simply make things worse for you.
Where is the vehicle currently located, what size is it?
Their not toast the discs but would need to be changed at some point but a fussy garage would fail them i'm sure, Shocks are seeping a little on one side, It's an Omega saloon.

I'll sleep on it, But can anyone recommend a 1 day insurance ?

joshwyatt

• Omega Baron
  • Oxford
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02 May 2013, 23:51:35 »

This company has proved cost effective for some;
I would expect the cost to be around £30 for the day
http://www.insuredaily.co.uk/

Mr.OmegaMan

• Omega Baron
  • Middle of nowhere
    • 3.2 Elite , CLS500
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 May 2013, 23:52:10 »

This company has proved cost effective for some;
I would expect the cost to be around £30 for the day
http://www.insuredaily.co.uk/
Thanks ;)

Jimbob

• Global Moderator
  • Chester / Flintshire
  • I like traffic lights, but only when they're green
    • E250 Est / Golf GTI
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 May 2013, 23:53:57 »

If it was me, I would MOT it locally, even if I 'thought' it would fail...

Reason being, you get pulled, which is taking the piss less? 

Id rather say, I hoped it would pass, but at least I know whats wrong with it, and here is the list, you can see there is nothing dangerous, else they would have kept the car, or I would have arranged a transporter.

To me, that shows a degree more sensibility, and less of being a chancer.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 21 queries.