Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 31   Go Down

Author Topic: The Omega Replacement conundrum.  (Read 61450 times)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: The Omega Replacement conundrum.
« Reply #15 on: 08 August 2016, 17:06:14 »

BMW GS Bike to a Volvo Estate, is there any bigger fall.  ;D

Well, if you're looking for suggestions... ::)
Focus saloon... :D cheap, practical, nippy, relatively frugal...

Oh, and £500 with a years ticket... :-X

Mrs KW's MX5 Mk2 is up for sale too. Faster than a 3.2 in a drag race. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 August 2016, 17:08:25 »

BMW GS Bike to a Volvo Estate, is there any bigger fall.  ;D

Well, if you're looking for suggestions... ::)
Focus saloon... :D cheap, practical, nippy, relatively frugal...

Oh, and £500 with a years ticket... :-X

Mrs KW's MX5 Mk2 is up for sale too. Faster than a 3.2 in a drag race. :y

Nearly everything is faster than 3.2 really  ;D

ted_one

« Reply #17 on: 08 August 2016, 17:24:04 »

The more people that are moving on to other cars is great,the more Omegas that go to the big scrap yard in the sky is the best thing that could happen..the rarity factor will certainly nudge them a bit closer to future classic status....looking forward to it :)

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 August 2016, 17:35:43 »

;D An optimistic to the bitter end...
Onanists always think outside the box.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 08 August 2016, 17:39:36 »

The more people that are moving on to other cars is great,the more Omegas that go to the big scrap yard in the sky is the best thing that could happen..the rarity factor will certainly nudge them a bit closer to future classic status....looking forward to it :)

I personally believe the the Omega would never obtain true 'classic' status. There was never anything super special about them, just a bland but comfy cruiser, unlike say the Lotus Carlton. If they made the Omega MV8, I think that would of, as it would have been quite quick and little bit special.

I bet some people think the first generation Vectra might become a classic, when they all deserve the crusher!  ;D

What would this potential status bring anyway?  ???

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 08 August 2016, 19:24:30 »

Lexus. Built like Mercedes used to be built and lots of toys.

Not true at all. They suffer from all sorts of stupid failures (when was the last time you had to replace capacitors in the ECU of any other car ever??).  And because barely anybody was stupid enough to buy one new spare parts are either unobtainable or exorbitant.  LS400 ignition coils for example - £140 EACH. there are 8 of them!

Even in terms of basic ergonomic quality they're shit.  The Japanese don't get quality and never have. Just rubbish plastic everywhere.
Omegatitis : [in remission]
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

btc

• Intermediate Member
  • Burgess Hill
  • Medium black pussy
    • XF 2.0d r sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 08 August 2016, 19:37:24 »

Not true at all. They suffer from all sorts of stupid failures (when was the last time you had to replace capacitors in the ECU of any other car ever??).  And because barely anybody was stupid enough to buy one new spare parts are either unobtainable or exorbitant.  LS400 ignition coils for example - £140 EACH. there are 8 of them!

Even in terms of basic ergonomic quality they're shit.  The Japanese don't get quality and never have. Just rubbish plastic everywhere.
Strange my brother in laws has done 350k self serviced and never let him down no failures just normal wear and tear and I know of several owners who also done in excess of 250k with no major problems all cars have niggly faults including the omega
« Last Edit: 08 August 2016, 19:39:32 by btc »

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 08 August 2016, 19:49:18 »

Give them 15 years, and an Omega will be just like a VX4/90 is now: you'll see one(of the five left) and think wow, those used to everywhere, but the squirrel that just ran across in front of it was much more interesting!

citroenguy

• Sweden
    • 2005 Citroën C5 2.0SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 08 August 2016, 19:58:29 »

I'd buy a Volvo S80 since i don't like estates, and I fear that the merc could give your credit card a bad time.. plus prob worse mpg. Those S80's do look smart in go faster black 8) or the dark blue. And they seem to be pretty reliable, haven't heard any doom and gloom about them, some electrical glitches early on and a recall for some derv engines due to problems with too high oil levels in the sump because of fuel dilution, leading too an engine revving itself until it dies ::)
124k on the C5
I like Omegas Senators and all other big 90´s euro saloons.
Previous motors: 3x Rover 600s, Citroën ZX, Volvo 850

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08 August 2016, 21:29:21 »

I am now going more in favour of S80, the radar/active cruise is very appealing. More research suggests D5 is good lump taking big miles easy. Of course you don't know the previous owner, but that's an issue with any car.

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 08 August 2016, 21:40:45 »

Strange my brother in laws has done 350k self serviced and never let him down no failures just normal wear and tear and I know of several owners who also done in excess of 250k with no major problems all cars have niggly faults including the omega

My nan's toaster lasted 20years... doesn't prove a thing.  Just because a handful of them have reached high mileage doesn't mean that they're designed well. 

I wouldn't call total failure of the ECU to chooch a "niggly fault" personally. 

Too each their own.
Current "illnesses" : '00 740i | '00 728i |'00 S320 | '00 Discovery V8 | '03 9-5 HOT Aero | '06 Mini One  |  '98 406

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 09 August 2016, 00:04:12 »

But as stated before, I bet many forums would state Omega's were rubbish reliability wise with cam covers failing, HBV's going and nightmare to setup geo wise. That the 2.6's eat stem seals, the 2.2's crack their manifolds and 1998 3.0's eat their head gaskets.  :)

Any brand will have it's issues, it's faults, I don't think it's fair to plaster one with a big brush.

Except of course when they are French  ::)  ;D

X30XE

• UK
    • 740i,728i,S320 & Disco
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 09 August 2016, 00:17:09 »

I don't disagree. I'd never claim an Omega was reliable. 

What gets my goat is people going around stating non facts like "all volvos/lexus/vw/landrover/honda/toyota/yada yada yada are bombproof/bulletproof/will definitely do 1million miles on nothing other than services".

It's bullshit.  All cars are built to a cost compromise.  And many of the big brands are surviving on a horseshit reputation for reliability that is perpetuated by someone's mate down the pub who spouts shit all day whilst knowing nothing. 

# rant over 

Basically, get what you want to drive, not what you've persuaded yourself will be reliable through selective deafness (we all do it  :)).

aaronjb

« Reply #28 on: 09 August 2016, 07:55:38 »

;D An optimistic to the bitter end...

It's a fine line between "optimist" and "fantasist" ;) ;D

failure of the ECU to chooch

You either watch AvE or there are two people in the world using that word.. ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 09 August 2016, 09:24:30 »

I don't disagree. I'd never claim an Omega was reliable. 

What gets my goat is people going around stating non facts like "all volvos/lexus/vw/landrover/honda/toyota/yada yada yada are bombproof/bulletproof/will definitely do 1million miles on nothing other than services".

It's bullshit.  All cars are built to a cost compromise.  And many of the big brands are surviving on a horseshit reputation for reliability that is perpetuated by someone's mate down the pub who spouts shit all day whilst knowing nothing. 

# rant over 

Basically, get what you want to drive, not what you've persuaded yourself will be reliable through selective deafness (we all do it  :)).

Fully agree  :y :y

I think it's down to either a S80 or CLS for me now, the CLS (spec I want) is just slightly out of reach budget wise.  :(

Seen nice CLS but has 110k miles, that said the S80 I've spotted with active cruise has 93k which is not a million miles apart.

Volvo makes little more sense, more practical, indie garage just down the road. But does not get my 'heart/passion' going as much as CLS as each time I walk up to one I think it's a nice car. The Volvo would just be a tool, perhaps I might grow to like it looks wise. The Omega is no looker and I've had that 11 years  ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 31   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.