Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Jack Pad Adaptors  (Read 10657 times)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
Re: Jack Pad Adaptors
« Reply #30 on: 12 September 2016, 17:04:12 »

That really is crap  >:(

Now you understand the issue, take a look at those ECS bungs. I know you hate 'GayTube' but watch the video I linked to at the start  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 12 September 2016, 17:04:52 »

I wonder how careful shitfit, or even a dealer, is when lifting it.

I suppose on the upside, the annual MOT is done on a lift that rarely uses the jacking points
Grumpy old man

aaronjb

« Reply #32 on: 12 September 2016, 17:13:45 »

They aren't. I once had a sill seam like that folded over by a tyre fitter. They'll whack the pads where the little mark on the sill tells them to put it and lift the car up without batting an eyelid or lighting up a single neuron. They do it 1000 times a day, every day, and it's not their problem (might be their managers!) if, one time in 10,000, they damage something.. most of the time the punter won't even notice given the amount of plastic around everything.

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 12 September 2016, 17:20:29 »

You know perfectly well that anyone will use a trolley jack on the reinforced sill-end that is meant for the job. Hell, I've seen far too many jack users just roll it under the car and start pumping the handle.

The plastic undertrays will end up like plastic sumpguards and wing liners: flimsy things damaged by inadequate fixings, rough handling or road debris and in the bin.

This sort of thing is very common: it was split before I moved it away from the wing, which finished it off

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 12 September 2016, 18:13:20 »

That really is crap  >:(

Now you understand the issue, take a look at those ECS bungs. I know you hate 'GayTube' but watch the video I linked to at the start  :y

I would jack the car on the sill, but redesign the bungs so that they fit a tubular axle stand. This would make more secure stands, with a wider footprint that leave the suspension free.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 12 September 2016, 18:19:20 »

So as a jack point you think it's ok? Or just use it for stands? As I would put stands at other places like in the photo on the other page, these would just be used as jack point to lift the car for brake pad changes etc.
« Last Edit: 12 September 2016, 18:23:51 by tunnie »

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 12 September 2016, 18:27:45 »

So as a jack point you think it's ok? As I would put stands at other places like in the photo on the other page, these would just be used as jack point to lift the car for brake pad changes etc.

Me? Yes, as that's where the car's jack is intended to be used, just like any other car in the last 70 years. It won't work very well in 20 years time when the sill is rotten, but that won't be the only issue.

What I hope is that once you've actually done some work on it and the ooh expensive shiny novelty has worn off, you will just treat it as machine and be happier about.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 12 September 2016, 18:33:53 »

Sorry cross wires, I mean your thoughts on jacking on the bung location/replacement. Not the sill  :y

As for work, yes, looking forward to getting some work done, but unlike the Omega's it's actually worth something!

Shall be popping down to VW later in the week for Air filter, oil filter, oil and a pollen filter  :)
« Last Edit: 12 September 2016, 18:38:15 by tunnie »

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 13 September 2016, 07:54:28 »

Sorry cross wires, I mean your thoughts on jacking on the bung location/replacement. Not the sill  :y

As for work, yes, looking forward to getting some work done, but unlike the Omega's it's actually worth something!

Shall be popping down to VW later in the week for Air filter, oil filter, oil and a pollen filter  :)

Would have thought GM 5/30 dexos be fine to use.
Hoof'land storeman.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 13 September 2016, 10:55:59 »

Let us know what that costs you Tunnie!  ::)  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 13 September 2016, 11:59:43 »

Oil is the most expensive, in two minds to use GM trade 5w30, or use what VW give me.

Prices not too bad, paying retail at the moment, not figured out how to get VW trade yet. But it will be around £45 for set of genuine filters from dealer down the road (Oil/Air/Pollen)

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 13 September 2016, 12:31:57 »

Oil is the most expensive, in two minds to use GM trade 5w30, or use what VW give me.

Prices not too bad, paying retail at the moment, not figured out how to get VW trade yet. But it will be around £45 for set of genuine filters from dealer down the road (Oil/Air/Pollen)

Not too bad, only more than twice the price of the three filters from ECP.  ::)  ;D  And that's before entering the discount code!  :o

Let us know what they want for 5 ltrs of VAG oil.  :)
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 13 September 2016, 12:42:03 »

Not too bad, only more than twice the price of the three filters from ECP.  ::) ;D  And that's before entering the discount code!  :o

Let us know what they want for 5 ltrs of VAG oil.  :)

£45 isn't too bad, although I still can't see the fascination with buying genuine OE filters.
I bet you'll end up using non-VW oil though. Especially if you adopt a realistic oil-change schedule ;)

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 13 September 2016, 12:42:21 »

Let us know what they want for 5 ltrs of VAG oil:)

What do you lubricate with that? ::) :-X

I'm sure their oil is no different to the GM stuff, except that you'll have to remove the bottom of the container to unscrew the lid from the inside. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 13 September 2016, 13:53:22 »

Official service is every 20k, I can see it's been done every 17k or so in the paperwork. That again is not too bad, seen much worse. I'll be looking at 5k services for a little while I think, given it's a diesel.

Mr VW man at a parts desk was quite helpful, he stated I must use low 'ash'? oils as some brands are worse than others and can clog the DPF more.

Only issue is VW want around £60 for 5L of oil.  :o

ECP have it for £42 before discount codes.

Just totted up all filters and oils, VW parts it would be £108 and ECP £67
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 18 queries.