Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Omega reminiscences  (Read 1489 times)

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
Omega reminiscences
« on: 13 September 2016, 22:00:50 »

Spurred on by looking through some old images on the computer, I just thought I'd share this with you...................

Back in the year 2001 when I used to work shifts, driving to work one morning about 06.30 hrs. It was sometime during the winter months, dark and raining heavy on the A33 between Reading and Basingstoke. Passing the junction at Sherfield on Loddon with a brief respite from the gloom provided by a few street lamps, then back into the wet darkness with oncoming headlights...... an experience I never hope to relive.

I hit the central reservation at about 50 mph, the curb which must have been the best part of 6 inches high. The thing I remember quite clearly was the courtesy lights coming on at the same time as a great big bang, after which I managed to pull over thinking a wheel change might still get me to work on time.

How wrong was I? Two weeks without the car, insurance repair jobbie, no doubt requiring more than just replacement wheels.

Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

Tick Tock

• Hereford
    • 2.5 V6 Facelift Estate
    • View Profile
Re: Omega reminiscences
« Reply #1 on: 13 September 2016, 22:03:30 »

The pics were taken after recovery, having been delivered to the nearest garage, and after the sun had come up.  :(
Omega 2.5 V6 Facelift Estates, a CD & a CDX both in the rare star silver colour.

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 September 2016, 22:43:37 »

Lucky escape by the looks of it.

Made me remember coming back to Nottingham late one night and my mate didnt see a roundabout and we flew across it. No damage. Amzing seeing as it was a mini. More amazing was we never hit any signage, lamposts etc.
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 September 2016, 09:27:42 »

A couple of weeks back I was approaching a roundabout on a dual carriageway at night. A couple of cars in front was a SAAB 9000. It went straight across the roundabout at about 60 MPH, through the coppice on the top of the roundabout, grazing a large oak tree on the way through but, mercifully, missing the trunk. It went across the other side of the roundabout and about 200 yards up the central reservation on the other side before coming to a halt, missing a couple of substantial signs and a drainage gulley.  :o

The chap at the wheel was in his 70's. He'd got out of the car and fallen over close to it. Made the car safe and tried to keep him talking while the ambulance was on its' way. No recollection of what had happened whatsoever although he did mention that he was diabetic and had had epilepsy in the past although both were apparently well controlled. Guess he just had a bit of a glitch at the wrong moment.

Car looked OK on the face of it, but both airbags had popped and I reckon pretty much everything on the underside would have been ripped off. He picked the right car for those sort of antics, I reckon. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 September 2016, 10:02:13 »

He wasn't Finnish, was he? Just wondering if he was a retired rally driver?  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 September 2016, 10:13:08 »

He wasn't Finnish, was he? Just wondering if he was a retired rally driver?  :)

Can't have been Finnish, the car was pointing in the direction of travel throughout. ;)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 September 2016, 10:24:11 »

;)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

2boxerdogs

« Reply #7 on: 20 September 2016, 16:53:53 »

Sorting through some pics last evening, made me wonder why I sold the 2.6 ! The Merc is great but the mig without doubt was a great motor.

frostbite

• Roanapur City aka Skem
    • 00' e46 325i se
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 20 September 2016, 19:09:33 »

I remember hitting a kerb in my old merc, the car bounced and I dented the monoblock that was in the snow
e46 325i se - 1.8vvti avensis liftback

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 September 2016, 22:21:46 »

The thing I remember quite clearly was the courtesy lights coming on at the same time as a great big bang, .....

The same thing happened when I clouted a bloody great brick in the middle of the road with the sump ...... I saw it at the very last minute after the Shogun in front just went over it
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.