Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: VW Polo - Burnt out valves  (Read 1837 times)

JamesV6CDX

• Omega Queen
  • Gloucestershire/Buckinghamshire
    • Omega 3.2 Retail MV6 LPG
    • View Profile
VW Polo - Burnt out valves
« on: 20 September 2016, 15:16:26 »

I wondered if anyone had come across this issue, which mainly affects the 1.2 litre 3 cylinder VW models such as Polo.

A year or two ago my old boss had a misfire on her 2003 Fabia (Same engine). She chased her tail with various garages who did guesswork diagnosis and spent hundreds on coil packs, plugs, fuel injectors, before asking me to look at it.

First thing I did was a compression test and found only 20psi in cylinder 3. Upon removing the head, and inspecting the (all six!) valves, I found number 3 exhaust valve was burnt out. I bought new valves from eBay and did a top end rebuild on it for her, and it ran lovely after that.

I've done some internet research, and it appears this is is a very common issue. It's suggested that it can be caused by poor valve guides, however the guides on the one I rebuilt, at least FELT ok! There are scores of Polo owners on the net complaining about the exhaust valves on cylinder 3 burning and cracking.

The reason for digging this up and thinking about it, is that (through boredom) I have seen for sale very close to me, a 2005 55 Polo 1.2, advertised as MOT failure, can't pass the emissions test due to engine misfire.

If it's this valve issue, it's actually a pleasant job to do, and I'm considering buying it to keep as a bit of a project to play with for when I am recovered a little more (or until I can find a willing apprentice  ::) ) - although it's a timing chain setup, it's straightforward to understand and being a half-engine, the components are all lightweight etc.

If you have any experience of why this fault happens, please share! I'm guessing LPG, in light of the issue, would be a big no-no!

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
Re: VW Polo - Burnt out valves
« Reply #1 on: 20 September 2016, 16:09:08 »

Depends on the setup, IMHO. How are the valve clearances adjusted? If they are bucket and shim jobs, is it possible that the clearances close up, meaning that the valves don't seat properly and eventually it damages the valve/seat?

My Laguna did the same. Started misfiring when cold but was fine when hot. I guess the clearances opened up a bit once the head had expanded, or it could run better with leaky valves once hot! Anyway, shimmed the valves back to sensible clearances and it was sweet as a nut.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
Re: VW Polo - Burnt out valves
« Reply #2 on: 20 September 2016, 17:18:15 »

Cam/lifter wear is a VW Achilles heel :-\
Onanists always think outside the box.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.