Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Collected the new motor  (Read 2729 times)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • Too many, mostly broken
    • View Profile
Collected the new motor
« on: 21 September 2016, 09:58:42 »

So, after placing an order waaay back in April, I finally collected the Omega's replacement at the weekend. To say I'm happy with it is a total understatement, looks great (to me) goes like hell and is a riot to drive.

On reflection I could have gone with  the Coupe as both the wife and the dog were feeling pretty sick when I took them out in it (and I hadn't even got out of town at that point!). The ride is sporty but not uncomfortable, I would never go to a full-on M-car as my daily driver, not on british roads anyway! The ZF 8-speed box is a triumph, in comfort mode its genuinely hard to spot the gear changes unless you give it the berries and the downchanges are immediate when asked for.

I took the car down to the Brecon Beacons over the weekend to put her through her paces - wonderfully enjoyable day, despite the attentions of an unmarked police motorcyclist. Honestly, he followed me for that long I thought he was coming home for tea!

Now, I just need to move the Omega on.

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
Re: Collected the new motor
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2016, 10:58:15 »

I suppose BMW, who in all fairness doggedly stick to rear-drive and (mostly) straight 6 engines up front do offer the traditional/proper/older driver an experience that's being diluted every year. Glad you're happy with it, I bet it is actually a riot to drive.

Being a pedant I've never been much interested in that, or any BMW. I prefer yours to the 'Mk 1' 1 Series, also wouldn't say no to having the 2-door saloon they do, reminds me of the old 2000s/3 series back int'day. I can imagine it feels a lot lighter and sprightly than the old barge of an Omega. Glad you're happy, keep us updated with your experiences  :)
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2016, 11:14:18 »

Very nice, is that a m140i  - Bet it does indeed shift.

I would have gone BMW myself but F10/11 520d's in Spec, age, miles I wanted were out of my reach. Hope it serves you well  :y :y

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2016, 11:26:53 »

Being a pedant I've never been much interested in that, or any BMW. I prefer yours to the 'Mk 1' 1 Series, also wouldn't say no to having the 2-door saloon they do,

Cheers, yes, I got my first grad job at the time when every bloke was buying the Mk1 1'er and every girl was buying the "new" mini and the interiors on both left me seriously underwhelmed. Its only of late that I think anything less than a 5 series has actually become a nice place to be! That said, I still wouldn't pick a 1'er with a black interior, they all seem to come with a black headlining, which, combined with dark dash and black seats makes it feel like you're sitting in a coal house!

I would have gone BMW myself but F10/11 520d's in Spec, age, miles I wanted were out of my reach. Hope it serves you well  :y :y

It is indeed. I suspect its got about 50bhp more than anyone reasonably needs in a car that size. It is a hoot though!

Funny you should say that, I spent about 6 months looking for a F11 535i Touring before finally giving up and deciding, like you, that I didn't need a particularly practical car. Price-wise they were in reach if used (I'm not buying a £50k car new thats for sure!) but rare as hens teeth, particularly with my lengthy list of "must haves".  ::)

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
  • Speaking sense, not Woke PC crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 September 2016, 11:49:35 »

So, after placing an order waaay back in April, I finally collected the Omega's replacement at the weekend. To say I'm happy with it is a total understatement, looks great (to me) goes like hell and is a riot to drive.

On reflection I could have gone with  the Coupe as both the wife and the dog were feeling pretty sick when I took them out in it (and I hadn't even got out of town at that point!). The ride is sporty but not uncomfortable, I would never go to a full-on M-car as my daily driver, not on british roads anyway! The ZF 8-speed box is a triumph, in comfort mode its genuinely hard to spot the gear changes unless you give it the berries and the downchanges are immediate when asked for.

I took the car down to the Brecon Beacons over the weekend to put her through her paces - wonderfully enjoyable day, despite the attentions of an unmarked police motorcyclist. Honestly, he followed me for that long I thought he was coming home for tea!

Now, I just need to move the Omega on.

A selection of larger photographs would be good. :y

Looks a nice car. What year is it?
I believe my car may use the same ZF 8 speed box. Not a great box in my opinion.

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 September 2016, 11:50:50 »

Ooops sorry. I've just seen it's brand new. :)

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 September 2016, 12:01:00 »

Yes, I was too busy driving it at the weekend to photograph it, and by Monday it was pretty grubby outside   :y. You can click on the 1 photo for a larger version, but I'll try and take some more!

Re. the 'box, it is indeed the sam, although different software, what do you find not so great about it?

Perhaps the extra 150 horses and mountains of torque are its undoing in your particular application   ;D

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 September 2016, 13:21:01 »

Yes, I was too busy driving it at the weekend to photograph it, and by Monday it was pretty grubby outside   :y. You can click on the 1 photo for a larger version, but I'll try and take some more!

Re. the 'box, it is indeed the sam, although different software, what do you find not so great about it?

Perhaps the extra 150 horses and mountains of torque are its undoing in your particular application   ;D

Three, or four (like in the Omega) is too few in my view. This leaves gaps in the acceleration curve.

Eight seems unnecessary, changing gears when there is no real need. The older XFR's have a 6 speed box which many prefer. The top two gears (7th and 8th) take the form of an inter-planetary overdrive and are probably there for reasons of Co2 and economy. I believe 8th gears pulls something like 47 MPH for each 1000 RPM.

Changes are pretty smooth generally but at full bore you are more aware of them.   (Probably built into the software)

Better than a 'fancy pants' double clutch jobbie like Tunnie has?.......I have no experience so couldn't say. :y

« Last Edit: 21 September 2016, 13:24:04 by Doctor Opti »

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 September 2016, 13:50:13 »

All fair points! Its what enables new cars to hit 60 in less than 5 seconds but still get upto 40mpg on a run. I hasten to add that in my case, the MPG has stuck resolutely to 22.5mpg on both tanks of fuel its had in it so far.  ;D

I think you are right on the changes being a software "feature". In sport and the gearbox set to auto, I barely notice the changes, using the paddles however sends a "thunk" down the drivetrain with every change. I think this is probably meant to immitate the DCT 'box in the proper M-cars, personally I don't think it adds anything. 6 is probably the right number of gears, but then again I think the 6-sp ZF is the same one that's in the C5 RS6 and seems to be made of cheese. So probably a lucky escape on that score!

SWMBO's car has the DSG thingy, on the move its a very nice box, in town and for manoeuvres such as reversing onto the drive (on a steep incline) the proper slush box has a clear advantage in smoothness. I don't know what the DSG would be like in a performance application (110bhp and 1200cc doesnt count!), but I'm guessing just as competent.

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 21 September 2016, 13:54:59 »

2.0 diesel BMW is a complete and utter dog of a lump.......throws chains, eats flywheels the works.....nightmare thing!

Nick W

• Omega Queen
  • Chatham, Kent
  • Rover Metro 1.8VVC
    • 3.0l Elite estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 21 September 2016, 14:05:08 »

2.0 diesel BMW is a complete and utter dog of a lump.......throws chains, eats flywheels the works.....nightmare thing!

It doesn't take long for those things to happen either. I recovered several timing chain failures on sub 10,000 mile engines. Fitting the chain at the back of the engine wasn't the brightest design choice either.

Viral_Jim

• Omega Baron
  • Telford
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 September 2016, 14:13:00 »

I had seen some stuff about that on the BMW forums I knock around on. But IMHO, if you have bought a BMW and it doesn't have a line of 6 cylinders in front of you and super unleaded in the tank, you're doing it all wrong  ;D

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 21 September 2016, 15:42:55 »

Good job I did not get one then  :)

Your thoughts on the VW 2.0 TDi? I'm actually scared to ask....

Field Marshal Dr. Opti

• Get A Life!!
  • Utopia
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 21 September 2016, 15:54:31 »

I'm sure Mark will like it. :) ;)

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 21 September 2016, 15:58:59 »

I'm sure Mark will like it. :) ;)

In a nutshell I think he will say it's no way near as good as the old 1.9's - Has similar issues to all common rail diesels.

It has cambelt though, so he must be happy at that  ;D
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.