Author Topic: Scam  (Read 1292 times)

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
Scam
« on: 24 September 2016, 14:51:39 »

I had the following message in an e-mail yesterday regarding the cloning of car Key fobs.

To:
 All Cara Staff
 Friday, September 23, 2016 6:47 PM
Just to make everyone aware of a motor scam that you may or may not have heard about :-

If vehicle keys with fob are left within a certain range of a vehicle parked up ( eg near your front door/hallway ) , there is a device which thieves are using to pick up the signal to the fob &  unlock the vehicle rather than having to break into the vehicle in their usual manner .

The best policy is obviously not to leave anything of value in a vehicle should the fob get cloned & to store the keys as far from the vehicle as possible in a metal container to try & block the cloning device .

Please could any of the  Site Managers who receive this email pass the message on to the guys who have site vehicles .

Thanks ,

Pat .

Now I thought the fobs had to be in use to transmit a signal so they could only attempt to clone while you were locking or unlocking your car.

Cars like my 370z have keyless entry where you only need to be in close proximity to unlock the car without actually using the fob so my question is are they transmitting all the time?

Does anyone on here know the facts behind all this?

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
Re: Scam
« Reply #1 on: 24 September 2016, 16:50:01 »

I wonder how the car knows how far away the fob is? Guessing that it is simple signal strength :-\

Presumably if someone could stand between your car and your fob with some kind of signal booster they might be able to trick it into unlocking :-\
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

zirk

• Omega Queen
  • Epping Forest
  • 3.2 Manual Special Saloon ReMapped and LPG'd and
    • 3.2 Manual Special Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 September 2016, 16:51:22 »

I had the following message in an e-mail yesterday regarding the cloning of car Key fobs.

To:
 All Cara Staff
 Friday, September 23, 2016 6:47 PM
Just to make everyone aware of a motor scam that you may or may not have heard about :-

If vehicle keys with fob are left within a certain range of a vehicle parked up ( eg near your front door/hallway ) , there is a device which thieves are using to pick up the signal to the fob &  unlock the vehicle rather than having to break into the vehicle in their usual manner .

The best policy is obviously not to leave anything of value in a vehicle should the fob get cloned & to store the keys as far from the vehicle as possible in a metal container to try & block the cloning device .

Please could any of the  Site Managers who receive this email pass the message on to the guys who have site vehicles .

Thanks ,

Pat .

Now I thought the fobs had to be in use to transmit a signal so they could only attempt to clone while you were locking or unlocking your car.

Cars like my 370z have keyless entry where you only need to be in close proximity to unlock the car without actually using the fob so my question is are they transmitting all the time?

Does anyone on here know the facts behind all this?
You are correct.  :y , the Fobs just transmit, the recivers in the car just recieve, theres no active hand shaking going on between the two.

There are some aftermarket systems that have a Intelligent 'Pager' alert on the Fob, which talks between the Fob and Car but not your average run of the mill systems.

Mr Gav

• Omega Knight
  • Leeds
    • Nissan 370z GT Edition
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 September 2016, 18:35:03 »

I wonder how the car knows how far away the fob is? Guessing that it is simple signal strength :-\

Presumably if someone could stand between your car and your fob with some kind of signal booster they might be able to trick it into unlocking :-\

With the Nissan system you have to be in very close proximity of the lock otherwise you cant open the door, and thats without pressing any buttons on the fob, similar to the cards used by Renault it works on proximity. Pressing the buttons on the fob then it works just like every other fob.

All the works vehicles just have normal fobs, and in any case there`s nothing special about a Shitroen Nemo worth stealing so I`m not too worried about that  :y

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 September 2016, 09:02:18 »

Potentially possible with keyless entry systems, where the fob has a transponder in for the remote locking.

But virtually all remote locking systems have been broken now, so no real point in getting overly concerned.  Very few of us have the most desirable/profitable car in the neighbourhood....   ....so hopefully wont get targeted.
Grumpy old man

Diamond Black Geezer

• Omega Lord
  • N E Lincolnshire & Warwickshire
  • Diamond Black '96 CDX V6 - 'Pissy'
    • & a silly coupe coming...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 September 2016, 10:28:55 »

Potentially possible with keyless entry systems, where the fob has a transponder in for the remote locking.

But virtually all remote locking systems have been broken now, so no real point in getting overly concerned.  Very few of us have the most desirable/profitable car in the neighbourhood....   ....so hopefully wont get targeted.

Depends on your neighbourhood...  ;D 
Ex-Dealer Kent-Moore Rear Wheel Bearing Tool available for hire, PM for details.

"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." 4th Doctor

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 September 2016, 18:04:23 »

Depends on your neighbourhood...  ;D
Apart from the coffin dodgers at the end with their W plate Astra-G, I'm the only car owner who's registration starts with a single letter.

Come to that, from what I can see, there are 2 rusty cars in my road. Both mine.

:-[
Grumpy old man

STEMO

« Reply #7 on: 26 September 2016, 18:09:21 »

Oh dear. Do I have to put my tin hat on again?
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.