Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Electrical fault  (Read 5188 times)

Hillper

• Intermediate Member
  • Aylesbury
  • Werthers. Winter, too hard.  Summer, too soft.
    • View Profile
Re: Electrical fault
« Reply #30 on: 06 November 2006, 11:12:32 »

If you're multimeter is accurate, the voltages you measured are suspiciously low.  

This is either because there is an alternator fault, a battery problem or a wiring fault.

Check the main cables to the alternator, battery and chassis are clean and tight.  Clean and re-make the connections.

What is the voltage across the battery with the engine off?  Get the battery discharge tested.

If all is well in the engine bay, the next step will be to check the equipment inside.
Mods.  'Hillper boot release'.  Dimming mirror.  Cruise control. Rear parking sensors.  Becker/Rockford Fosgate/Infinity/Alpine audio.

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 06 November 2006, 14:25:52 »

In order of likelihood...

Bad earth (as I suggested before, use a jump lead from negative terminal to good part of the engine to check).

Alternator (as already discussed).

Battery. Possible, but it should not affect charge going into battery.
The Administrator.

red

• Lancashire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 06 November 2006, 18:01:36 »

Hi,

I have just done the jump lead test and does appear that the car seems to have a bad earth.

At tick over the voltage reading is normally around 12.5 volts and at 2,500 revs just under 13 volts.

With the jump lead at tick over just over 13 volts and at 2,500 revs approximately just over 13.5 volts.

So it is still a little lower than the 14.4 volts that  laidback66 recommended. Could it be a combination of a dodgy alternator and a bad earth? What I was going to do at the weekend is go to Wigan Alternators and ask them to test it before I went ahead and bought it!

Thing is I have not got a clue as to how I am going to find the faulty connection and then fix it.

Please help, Red.

All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 06 November 2006, 18:06:51 »

There are some earth connections on the back of one of the banks of cylinders, but not entirely sure where. Someone will be along shortly to give you a clue...

Also, make sure battery terminals are clean...
Grumpy old man

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 07 November 2006, 08:14:53 »

Ok, 13.5v at 2,500rpm is good enough. The jump lead is not the best earth so it will read a little less.

The main earths are from the alternator to the chasis and from the battery to the chasis (I know I am forgetting one!!).
Undo these. use a wire brush or similar and clean both the contacts and the earthing points thoroughly (ie bare metal!).

Check the state of the cables. If they don't look good, replace them, they are not expensive at all.

Also clean the securing bolts and make sure it is completely tight. Finally protect with some petroleum jelly.

Go to an alternator place and they'll try to sell you an alternator! ;)
The Administrator.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 07 November 2006, 08:35:59 »

Ok, 13.5v at 2,500rpm is good enough. The jump lead is not the best earth so it will read a little less.

The main earths are from the alternator to the chasis and from the battery to the chasis (I know I am forgetting one!!).
Undo these. use a wire brush or similar and clean both the contacts and the earthing points thoroughly (ie bare metal!).

Check the state of the cables. If they don't look good, replace them, they are not expensive at all.

Also clean the securing bolts and make sure it is completely tight. Finally protect with some petroleum jelly.

Go to an alternator place and they'll try to sell you an alternator! ;)
I would agree if you go to alternator place, they may try to sell you replacement rather than really find problem...
Grumpy old man

red

• Lancashire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 07 November 2006, 12:29:37 »

Many thanks for everyone who has helped with this issue!

I will take laidback66's advice and check the main earths at the weekend and hopefully have some good news to give you.

Cheers, Red.
All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, a fresh water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

Marks DTM Calib

• Administrator
  • West Bridgford
  • Git!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 07 November 2006, 13:45:36 »

There is no 0V (I dont use the phrase 'earth' on cars as its not actulay correct) connection to the alternator directly.

The main 0V connection for the engine goes from battery 0V (-) connection to a large bolt between the power steering and aircon pulleys.

Also worth considering popping the alternator off and reading the following maintenance guide:

Repairing The Alternator

« Last Edit: 07 November 2006, 13:47:33 by Auto_Addict »

red

• Lancashire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 07 November 2006, 15:14:28 »

Hi Mark,

Will check the connection for the engine. With regards to the alternator I found your tutorial over the weekend but my alternator is different in that the contacts on the alternator you illustrated are not the same as mine. I posted the images here:http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1162051038/15

Cheers, Red.

red

• Lancashire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 11 November 2006, 00:43:41 »

Hi All,

Good news, the voltage witch is dead! I hope f*ckin hope.

This didn't go quite the the way I had planned, but what does.

I had hoped to get to the weekend and then I would fix the bad earths myself.

Unfortunatley going back to work yesterday lunch time my car came to a hault in a totally undignified way. The car cut out in the middle of the works car park blocking alot of cars in, as Omega's are not the smallest car.

Anyway I had no choice but to go to my boss and explain that I needed to get the car home.

So luckily for me my partner Maria was off work yesterday, so I rang her and asked her to come and jump start my car. So we got the car home. Even though I was certain what the problem was I did not have the time to fix it. So I asked Maria to take it to a auto electrician today and not suprisingly there were bad earths in the car which they fixed. Costing around £50 I am happy. It is a shame I couldn't do it myself but that's life.

Cheers for your help and I learned a lot from this, next time I while get to do the job myself.

Thanks, Red.
« Last Edit: 11 November 2006, 00:45:44 by red »

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 11 November 2006, 08:09:16 »

Hey, good to hear it is all sorted, and for much less than a replacement alternator! ;)

The Administrator.

red

• Lancashire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 11 November 2006, 12:36:46 »

Just been out in the car. Like a dream!

Traction control light doesn't come on & temp gauge is as it should be.

Now I can just enjoy driving the nicest car on the road.

Thanks once again to everyone, this is the place, Red
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 18 queries.