Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: 13,000 miles and needs new front tyres  (Read 3467 times)

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
13,000 miles and needs new front tyres
« on: 14 October 2006, 21:21:19 »

>:( >:( >:( there goes any hope i had of getting the windows tinted this month.

13,000 miles and the two front tyres are shredded on the inner edges, the rest of the tyre is perfect.

I had a 4 wheel alignment done, there hasn't been any work done on the suspension since, most of that mileage has beem motorway stuff as well.

Tyre centre i go to has checked and said that there was no wear on any other components that would cause this, he did say they do ride hard on the inner edges though....

anyone else have this problem?

On the plus side took it on a rolling road today, standard 2.5V6 with 110,000 miles on it, 177 bhp and 172ftlb, not bad at all i thought
« Last Edit: 14 October 2006, 21:32:18 by jay_w »

STMO123

Re: 13,000 miles and needs new front tyres
« Reply #1 on: 14 October 2006, 21:23:56 »

13,000 miles and the two front tyres are shredded on the inner edges, the rest of the tyre is perfect.

I had a 4 wheel alignment done, there hasn't been any work done on the suspension since, most of that mileage has beem motorway stuff as well.

Tyre centre i go to has checked and said that there was no wear on any other components that would cause this, he did say they do ride hard on the inner edges though....

On the plus side took it on a rolling toad today, standard 2.5V6 with 110,000 miles on it, 177 bhp and 172ftlb, not bad at all i thought

You ran over a toad?

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 October 2006, 21:33:00 »

LOL, misprint now corrected

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #3 on: 14 October 2006, 21:35:05 »

yep them are good performance figures for the age - in fact excellent.
Tyre wear seems excessive to me though..... :-/
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Cav9_4

• Omega Knight
  • Sutton-In-Ashfield,Notts
  • 2003 Omega 2.6 Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 October 2006, 21:37:05 »

i too have had same problem,replaced tyres,put it in for mot hoping they'd find something,but nothing found (march time),took it and had wheel alignment checked,spot on ,again o/s/f tyre worn in august,tyre replaced,alignment checked yet again,still spot on,found my drivers side lower arm to be warn and damper on same side too,replaced arms and dampers both sides today,then 2 new tyres monday along with yet another wheel alignment check,gonna ask for the camber to be checked too,hopefully it will cure it this time,225/45/17's aren't cheap!...wayne

Admin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 October 2006, 21:37:17 »

Well I would say your 4 wheel alignment place are a bunch of muppets!  >:(

That is clearly a sign of the alignment set wrong and too much "toe in" (even my pitiful knowledge of steering gemetry tells me that!).

Wishbones ok?

Until you get it to somewhere where they can set it up correctly, it will continue to eat tyres I am afraid.

I would recommend dropping an email to Tony (username Wheels In Motion) and see if he knows of any decent place in that part of the country.
The Administrator.

STMO123

« Reply #6 on: 14 October 2006, 21:40:15 »

Are omegas really so different from other cars in this respect? If so, why?
« Last Edit: 14 October 2006, 22:15:47 by STMO123 »

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14 October 2006, 21:42:41 »

the tyre centre checked the wishbones and confirmed that they are both ok, they said there was no play in any of the components.

i will email Tony and see if he can suggest anywhere, i will have to get it done quickly otherwise it will be another set of tyres down the tubes

omegaV6CD

• Intermediate Member
  • Darlington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 October 2006, 22:29:39 »

On the plus side took it on a rolling road today, standard 2.5V6 with 110,000 miles on it, 177 bhp and 172ftlb, not bad at all i thought

I can only suggest that the camber is out or that you drive like Scumi. I have done 9k since i changed my tyres and there is no wear, i had full geometry set up though with the technician under my supervision. Get your geometry checked and do not trust what they say ask them to adjust it by the book.

tunnie

• Get A Life!!
  • Surrey
    • Zafira Tourer & BMW 435i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 October 2006, 22:35:22 »

ouch!!! done nearly 13k myself .. same tyres since i bought the car. According to the service history done about 10k on them before i got the car, so nearly 23k miles ware so far... still bucket loads of tread left and even ware.

I'd a full allignment on that BEFORE you put any new rubber on! - 13k miles from the front set of a rear wheel drive car!?! something is really wrong with the allignment there.

My dad has shown you can cruise @ 80 on the motorway but if you corner sensibly you can get decent miles from your rubber, his car is approaching 90k miles and is only on his second set of tyres! His first set lasted over 50k!

Martin_1962

« Reply #10 on: 14 October 2006, 23:05:17 »

Mine are like that - but I commute along twisty roads

Taxi_Driver

« Reply #11 on: 15 October 2006, 09:19:13 »

I just put 2 tyres on the front of my merc for exactly the same reason......it recently had the lower ball joints replaced on the steering and more than likely the very reason the tyres are now doing this......so doesnt mean something is worn.....just something is not aligned correctly.

Worth getting sorted
 :y

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 October 2006, 09:39:14 »

I'd say the camber is out or the tracking place are adjusting the toe to the wrong setting.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 October 2006, 18:46:29 »

Its a fairly common problem with Omega. If its right on the very shoulder edge, its more likely camber related, tracking problems tend to wear a little more of the edge.

4 wheel alignment, in my opinion, is false economy. A full geometry check by somebody recommended is a far better option.
Grumpy old man

Jay w

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth/Poole
  • omega gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 November 2006, 22:47:39 »

i had a 4 wheel alignment check done, there were some strange results

the centre set the alignment in accordance with spec, then took it for a drive and rechecked, it had fallen 3 degrees out....
reset it, again out for a test, back in for recheck, the other side had dropped 3 degrees out!!
they cannot find what it is that is causing the 3 degree movement, strangely enough it's not noticable, and i would have though 3 degrees worth of movement would have been something serious.

they also commented that the rear trqack rods had siezed, does anyone know if they are dear to replace?

Nearly all of my driving is motorway and A roads, i don't drive like a loony, although there are time i give it a bit of stick, but the sort of wear i had encountered was right on the edge and looked like i had does about 10 very fast laps, there was a lot of scrubbage!!

My new job puts me up in Nottingham, i might have a look to see if there is someone up there who can help

Bo Bo

• Omega Baron
  • Coventry
  • Here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 09 November 2006, 22:50:33 »

Mine are like that - but I commute along twisty roads
Same as, got 14k out of mine.
Where would we be without rhetorical questions?!

Doughboy

• Edinburgh
  • ?% Tax on Fuel, Fags and beer(I luv em all) bstds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 November 2006, 00:24:57 »

Doubt if this is anywhere near the same but I had a D plate fiesta years ago, 3 sets of front tyres in 2 months. Kwick fart tracking was at fault and they paid for the tyres. I took it to their "Computer tracking center" at their request and after they adjusted Toe and Camber all was fine. £14.75p well spent (10 years ago though).
[size=20]I want that one!!![/i][/size]

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 November 2006, 00:28:55 »

Yep, the inner side of the front right-hand tyre was showing white canvas (!) on mine, luckily the tyre was generally low on thread and in need of replacing anyway so no big problem. Had four new tyres fitted on the occasion, then got Tony to give it a Full Geometry, done 15k miles since and no sign of uneven wear so far! The tread is now down to 4mm though…

I seem to remember that Tony said that Omegas are prone to inner front tyre wear when set to manufacturer's spec, he sets the front tracking at the edge of the spec rather then in the middle and this works - well it did for me.

He is only a few junctions on down the M1 from Nottingham.... :)

Alas, no more Omegas....

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 November 2006, 08:59:36 »

Yep, the inner side of the front right-hand tyre was showing white canvas (!) on mine, luckily the tyre was generally low on thread and in need of replacing anyway so no big problem. Had four new tyres fitted on the occasion, then got Tony to give it a Full Geometry, done 15k miles since and no sign of uneven wear so far! The tread is now down to 4mm though…

I seem to remember that Tony said that Omegas are prone to inner front tyre wear when set to manufacturer's spec, he sets the front tracking at the edge of the spec rather then in the middle and this works - well it did for me.

He is only a few junctions on down the M1 from Nottingham.... :)

Agreed, mine was eating up inside edges in no time. Tony reset camber to edge of spec, and car handling was far better, and tyres lasting longer.

Though strangely, despite having more pressure than Vx say, I am getting inside and outside edge wear...
Grumpy old man

JasonH

• Omega Knight
  • Bristol
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 November 2006, 20:40:29 »

I've noticed inside and outside edge tyre wear on the front (like from low tyre pressures) but mine are regularly checked and are intentionally slightly over pressure (and yes my gauge is accurate!). Those Vx figures are rubbish.

Markjay

• Omega Lord
  • London
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 November 2006, 18:57:14 »

Vx quote 30 psi for un-ladden car, I pump 33 - it's an old trick to increase the manufacturer's spec by 10% to get a firmer ride, plus the pressure goes down over time so this way it never actually goes below 30.

Alas, no more Omegas....
Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.