Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Possible coolant problem  (Read 1352 times)

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
Possible coolant problem
« on: 08 November 2006, 17:54:53 »

Following on with the power problem on the Black Omega

Since I had the car running last night and drove it around the block a few times.

I left the car to run turned the heating on hot air was coming out, but my dad who was at the time outside the car said he could smell coolant.

The car has no AC so standard twist dials.

The car had new coolant when I did the cambelt and waterpump change and so am thinking it could possibly be the egr valve at the back as there are nos signs of leakage coming from the rad.

If I find it is coming from that general area would blanking the egr valve off permanently be a problem or is it a temporary fix.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
Re: Possible coolant problem
« Reply #1 on: 08 November 2006, 18:06:56 »

Since I had the car running last night and drove it around the block a few times.

I left the car to run turned the heating on hot air was coming out, but my dad who was at the time outside the car said he could smell coolant.

The car had new coolant when I did the cambelt and waterpump change and so am thinking it could possibly be the egr valve at the back as there are nos signs of leakage coming from the rad.

If I find it is coming from that general area would blanking the egr valve off permanently be a problem or is it a temporary fix.

last time I looked, coolant doesn't go anywhere near the egr  ;)

I would not block of HBV though, as it will stop the coolant flow. If its leaking, only £24 from dealer, and 30m to change.
« Last Edit: 08 November 2006, 18:07:37 by TheBoy »
Grumpy old man

Matchless

• Omega Knight
  • Nottingham
    • A white van
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 November 2006, 23:21:48 »

Is this a 2.0?
Is it definately no a/c? twist knobs just means it hasnt climate, but it can still have a/c in which case SOME 2.0s have a heater bypass valve visible from underneath at the drivers side rear of engine.

2.0 has a casting bolted to rear of head which contains egr passageways and also carries coolant...worth a look, again from underneath looking up from around bell housing....surprisingly good access if you have long arms

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 November 2006, 10:25:51 »

Is this a 2.0?
Is it definately no a/c? twist knobs just means it hasnt climate, but it can still have a/c in which case SOME 2.0s have a heater bypass valve visible from underneath at the drivers side rear of engine.

2.0 has a casting bolted to rear of head which contains egr passageways and also carries coolant...worth a look, again from underneath looking up from around bell housing....surprisingly good access if you have long arms

Yeah apologies for the misleading info i was actually thinking the same thing, the part that sits drivers side next to the dispack just got muddled naming the part. :-[ HBV looks to be the culprit at the moment but shall be double checking.

Matchless its on a basic 2.0 cd spec without any air conditioning just the twist knobs for heating.

As for your other suggestion Matchless shall be checking this aswell.

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 November 2006, 10:28:01 »

last time I looked, coolant doesn't go anywhere near the egr  ;)

I would not block of HBV though, as it will stop the coolant flow. If its leaking, only £24 from dealer, and 30m to change.

As mentioned in the post responding to Matchless HBV is what I should have said just got abit muddled but cheers for helping to confirm what the part is. £24 is that at retail or trade only at the moment I am not fortunate to have trade club.

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 November 2006, 11:07:37 »

If no A/C, then no HBV....!
Grumpy old man

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 November 2006, 11:14:51 »

If no A/C, then no HBV....!

OK thats confusing as mine has AC and having compared the two they look the same but shall be checking anyway for piece of mind.

I think Ideally my plan for the weekend is to get it up on the stands and have a good look to try find what the problem is.
« Last Edit: 10 November 2006, 11:15:59 by nixoro »

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 November 2006, 12:00:36 »

Right had a good look over the car yesterday to find a dripping of coolant from the back of the engine.

Had my bonnet open to compare the dispack is D/S and what I thought was the HBV i.e the EGR valve is P/S :-[

Shall be looking into the problem more over the next weekend hopefully after reseating my Exhaust manifold on the Silver one.
« Last Edit: 13 November 2006, 12:43:30 by nixoro »

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #8 on: 13 November 2006, 12:03:44 »

Sounds about right , Standing in front of the engine the HBV is back middle, to the right of that and further down ( still facing car from front) will be your dis pack. Its quite a bit below and not always visable.

Oh and leaky hbv can sometimes leaky onto dispack, the rest as they say is painful  :(

hope this helps  ;)
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

Markie

• Omega Lord
  • Lanarkshire, Scotland
    • RS4, BMW X5, Range Rover
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/pages/Markiescarparts/149306545168993
« Reply #9 on: 13 November 2006, 12:04:52 »

oh and is it the hbv thats leaking or perhaps ( hopefully) a leaky connection or a dodgy jubilee clip ( well you can hope)
MarkiesCarParts-Online Now With A New 4000FT Partswarehouse; Stocking Thousands of Vauxhall,Peugeot, Citroen, Renault & Rover NEW Parts - Check us on Ebay MarkiesCarParts-Online. PM me via OOF for discount

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 November 2006, 12:22:37 »

Right having done a search on good old ebay me thinks what i think is the HBV I am getting mixed
with the EGR Valve being this, Ebay Link - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-EGR-Valve-Astra-Calibra-Cavalier-Vectra-Omega_W0QQitemZ4642212153QQihZ002QQcategoryZ10404QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem  :-[

Which means the suggestion by Matchless further up the thread looks very possible.
« Last Edit: 13 November 2006, 12:29:14 by nixoro »

nixoro

• Omega Baron
  • Hitchin, Herts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 13 November 2006, 12:30:32 »

If this is the problem whats the recommended way to fix this problem.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 18 queries.