Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Search the maintenance guides for answers to 99.999% of Omega questions

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hello from Turkey, Questions Questions  (Read 3933 times)

Cem1304

• Turkey
    • 97 omega V6 x25xe
    • View Profile
Hello from Turkey, Questions Questions
« on: 12 February 2018, 16:31:35 »

Hi, I am from turkey. I am buying a 97 omega 2.5 V6 petrol 4sp auto(paper work not done yet). It is crashed before and didn't fixed properly, sits for almost two years. But I got it verrryyy cheap for my country standards. I have another high mpg diesel city car work like a clock. My long term plan with this car is turn it into a highway cruiser. But I have to fix it first.

So my question is when I put water to the coolant filler it leaks around driver side up high somewhere between engine and transmission. Leaks almost all water. I read something like this in this forum but it was small steady leak when engine runs. Mine is leaks everything when I put it. My first idea was faulty freeze plug or cracked hose. Dont sure for anything yet.

I put a new battery. Engine starts right off(no coolant) its smokes. I don't know the oil situation they lost dipstick and plugged with something. Car moves slowly so transmission fluid must be low. Runs for 2 minutes and I shut the engine myself. Put it on a tow truck, came home. I didn't do anything yet. I am waiting for paper work.

while I am waiting. Any ideas? Recomendations about the problem? How many freeze plug X25XE has? and where they are?

Bigron

• Omega Baron
  • Witham, Essex
    • Omega 2.6 V6 Auto '51 Reg
    • View Profile
Re: Hello from Turkey, Questions Questions
« Reply #1 on: 12 February 2018, 18:14:57 »

Hello and welcome to the Forum.
It does sound like a core plug has popped out; I had similar symptoms on my old Carlton, as soon as I added water, it came right back out of the hole where the core plug used to be! They are cheap and easy to replace, provided you can gain access to where they are.
Someone else is sure to be along soon with more details.....

Whereabouts in Turkey are you? My daughter has a house in Altinkum.

Ron.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2018, 19:33:30 »

Hello Cem and a warm welcome to you :y

The forum had a Cem from Turkey before.  You aren't the same one by any chance? ??? ;)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2018, 19:40:43 »

Hello and welcome to OOF :y

That thought crossed my mind too Lizzie!

migiestate

• Intermediate Member
  • Liverpool
    • 03 Omega 2.2 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2018, 20:43:09 »

Hello and welcome to the forum  :y

Cem1304

• Turkey
    • 97 omega V6 x25xe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 February 2018, 12:06:28 »

Thanks everybody!

Hello Cem and a warm welcome to you :y

The forum had a Cem from Turkey before.  You aren't the same one by any chance? ??? ;)
Hello and welcome to OOF :y

That thought crossed my mind too Lizzie!
First time in a forum, first time a car owner(My other car actually my dads)

Hello and welcome to the Forum.
It does sound like a core plug has popped out; I had similar symptoms on my old Carlton, as soon as I added water, it came right back out of the hole where the core plug used to be! They are cheap and easy to replace, provided you can gain access to where they are.
Someone else is sure to be along soon with more details.....

Whereabouts in Turkey are you? My daughter has a house in Altinkum.

Ron.
I born and raised in Istanbul. Very crowded city, not for cars or car enthusiasts. I use public transportation most of in-city commutes. I never been altınkum but I heard good things if everything goes well I want to go not to specifically altınkum but Aegean seaside journey in summer.

We have a old inherited village house about two and a half, three hours away. Good place for weekends. Most of my omega usage will be back and forth. At least thats the plan.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 February 2018, 14:04:23 »

I would say coolant leaking from the driver's side behind the engine could well be the heater bypass valve...

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/index.php?topic=90574.0

Certainly worth taking a look. :y
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2018, 22:32:59 »

I would say coolant leaking from the driver's side behind the engine could well be the heater bypass valve...

I assume that this car has the steering wheel on the left side :-\ (so heater bypass valve on passenger side)
"Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull somewhere before."

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 February 2018, 22:44:01 »

Many years ago I had the head gasket fail on the rear of 'bank 2'. A small amount of coolant leaked out when the engine was hot but the car was drivable.

I took the engine out because I had the equipment and I didn't want to work on the engine outdoors.

There are two core plugs in the back of the cylinder head (hidden behind the bracket for the ignition coils). (sorry about the flash in the last picture)

Andy H

• Omega Lord
  • Auckland
    • Mazda MPV
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 February 2018, 22:52:02 »

I really struggled to get my hands in behind the engine to even find the leak.

At one stage I thought it might be a weeping core plug but decided that, if it was, I wasn't going to be able to swing a hammer hard enough to tap a new one in  (hence why lifted the engine out)

Varche

• Omega Queen
  • middle of Andalucia
  • What is going to break next?
    • Golf Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 February 2018, 23:24:30 »

Hola Cem, welcome to the forum :y
The biggest joke on mankind is that computers have started asking humans to prove that they aren’t a robot.

Cem1304

• Turkey
    • 97 omega V6 x25xe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 February 2018, 07:59:11 »

I sill waiting for the papers. There is small issues. I don't want to do anything before I legally own the car.

I really struggled to get my hands in behind the engine to even find the leak.

At one stage I thought it might be a weeping core plug but decided that, if it was, I wasn't going to be able to swing a hammer hard enough to tap a new one in  (hence why lifted the engine out)
My first idea as core(freeze) plug too. I couldn't reach to the leak point too so I am not sure. Pics are great, very helpful already thanks.

It's on my look for list.Thanks :y

Looks like we can't solve the problem before taking major parts apart. I'll be posting when I have checked out the real problem, hopefully with pics.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 February 2018, 13:48:58 »

One useful diagnostic technique when looking for leaks is to pressurise the cooling system with air. You can do this by taking an old coolant cap, drilling it and adding a schraeder valve, for example, so you can use a tyre pump to put some pressure (up to 1 BAR or so) into the cooling system.

Leaks are often more readily apparent when the hoses are cold and, of course, it is easier to feel for leaks when the engine is not too hot to touch.

For checking for leaks round the back of the V6, I find it easiest to support the front of the vehicle on axle stands or ramps and look from underneath. This way, you can often locate the leaking component without having to remove the scuttle and so on. You can also swap the HBV without removing the scuttle although it's fiddly.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.