Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: For the geeks...  (Read 3453 times)

BazaJT

• Omega Lord
  • SLady bitshorpe N.Lincs.
    • Omega 3 litre Elite
    • View Profile
Re: For the geeks...
« Reply #15 on: 15 August 2018, 19:28:33 »

Although I'm not really "into" civilian aircraft I watched the whole video and was strangely fascinated by it 8) From my perspective the engines seem disproportionately large for the aircraft[perhaps that's more the norm though?] Flew BA from Heathrow to Vienna in 2006 and must say I had no complaints about their service.2009 went East Midlands to Stockholm with Monarch and again no complaints.

Rods2

• Omega Lord
  • Sandhurst Berkshire
    • 1999 3.0 Elite Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 August 2018, 22:07:37 »

Oh aye, it's a long time since we've had a good bus thread. A big new shiny bus as well. ;) :y :y
US Fracking and Saudi Arabia defending its market share = The good news of an oil glut, lower and lower prices for us and squeaky bum time for Putin!

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 August 2018, 00:05:40 »

The engines are bigger than the earlier ones, hence NEO... New Engine Options ;) slightly longer/beefed up landing gear to allow for the extra engine weight.

These engines are significantly quieter on the ground than the older ones thanks to much larger hairdryer attachment on the front of them :D

Talking of buses, HI Flys ex Singapore A380 is currently based here... Mostly to bolster Norwegians long haul operation.
Onanists always think outside the box.

Weds

• Chatham, Kent
  • My other hobby
    • Mercedes E class 350 CDi
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 August 2018, 10:59:09 »

I usually try to book the emergency exits seats for more leg room, invariably they are row 12 and 13, for some reason row 13 is usually available and I book it. If I'm unlucky then so are all the other passengers...   ;D

Trouble is, 12/13 are in the middle of the plane, and as often as not they board/offload front and rear so you'll be last off. Also the bacon butties will have run out long before they get to 12/13 from either the front or back.

I usually try for rows 5 or 6 - the first of the cheap rows. Reasonably quick off, and providing the muppets in 1-4 don't realise what they're missing there is usually some food left. The back rows are best for food though - the front cabin crew service the pilots first before starting on the cattle. The cabin crews down the back just start at rows 25/30 so once they've got my name on a butty I'm safe and can relax. However, if they don't offload from the rear steps then you will be last off which is risky on a Sunday night arrival into somewhere like Stansted..

I'm in no hurry to get off as the hold luggage will take ages to get off and to the carousel.. Just stay sat in your seat till the rush has gone..   :)

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 August 2018, 16:58:11 »

Mostly to bolster Norwegians long haul operation.
Think I'm flying with them next time around. Never been with them before.

Scum class, obviously.
Grumpy old man

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 August 2018, 18:53:00 »

Better than Ryanair, (hardly a measure of anything), probably not a patch on Monarch

ronnyd

• Omega Lord
  • Bury St Edmunds Suffolk
    • Vectra 1.8 SRI Silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 August 2018, 19:41:52 »

Better than Ryanair, (hardly a measure of anything), probably not a patch on Monarch
Won,t get far on them now. ;)

LC0112G

• Omega Baron
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 August 2018, 20:19:07 »

Monarch was my worst ever flight, much worse than any FR I've been on (which is over 100). Coming back on a B757 into Gatwick after a ski holiday. The most cramped seat I've ever had the misfortune to sit/fly in. When we got off at LGW there were loads of passengers waiting to get on it for a flight to Egypt. I didn't envy whoever got my seat for 6 hours.

After that experience I never flew Monarch again, actively avoiding any holiday they were the charter carrier for. I didn't mourn their passing.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16 August 2018, 22:39:41 »

I only mentioned Monarch as I believe that our illustrious leader has successfully and repeatedly flown with them ;)

I suspect that the Italian stakeholder accepted a big fat suitcase from Norwegian so that Boeing would be forced to sell them the suddenly superfluous and rather large Monarch Dreamliner order...

Of absolutely no coincidence unrelated business news, Monarch Aircraft Engineering Ltd hold not only an official Dreamliner service contract, but also the Norwegian line maintenance one :-X

TheBoy

• Administrator
  • Brackley, Northants
  • I Like Lockdown
    • Whatever Starts
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 August 2018, 12:54:32 »

Had no real issues with Monarch. Yes, a low cost airline, but I don't recall any particular issues with space compared to other scum-class flights.

TBH, not really had any particular issues on any flights that were down to the airline. Have had the usual delays that we all get, had emergency landings due to onboard failures, had an aborted landing due to a light aircraft being in the wrong place, had the usual little brats screaming and kicking the back of my seat all flight, and so on.

But I'm of average height.  What I lack in height, I make up for in width though.

Now, the airports. Don't get me started on the airports. Esp the UK ones.  None of them are even remotely any good, but Luton must be singled out for the worse of the lot, followed fairly closely by Birmingham.
Grumpy old man
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.