Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: V6 Wishbone Crisis - No Transport  (Read 1268 times)

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
V6 Wishbone Crisis - No Transport
« on: 29 July 2010, 01:11:52 »

just bought new set of front lower wishbones complete with bushes and balljoints - my mate say's he knows a mechanic (toyota main dealer) who will fit the pair for £50 cash... sounds reasonable so I agree... he turns up at my address yesterday with a few socket peices, torque wrench, hammer, couple of spanners and long bolster type tool with two wedge shaped prongs at the end (calls it a splitter?) I wouldn't know... spends over an hour with my help, jack & axle stands just trying to loosen the two long bolts... comes back today with 21mm socket for top bolt but still missing an 18mm for the pinch bolt :( finally gets both long bolts out and the pinch bolt with a 19mm  ::) but can't drop out the wishbone because balljoint is siezed (I'm told) so he wedges long pronged wedge thingy between steering knuckle & balljoint and start smashing away with the hammer (also hitting the caliper) after 15 minutes of smashing I tell him to leave it and ask him to replace the bolts so I can still use my car. Then find out that he's shifted the balljoint pin enough that the pinch bolt won't go back in! He say's he'll be back today to finish the job (day 3 and 1st wishbone still not off) My car is now sitting on axle stands and not safe to drive because the balljoint can't be bolted back onto the steering knuckle. basically I'm scr*wed !!! Any ideas or solutions welcome... £50 for anyone that can fit the new one's today... so I can cancel Mr toyota! I live in Greenwich, London, just of the A2. thanks Steve
Previous: 1996 Omega 2.5i V6 Manual Estate. Pearlescent, Polar Sea Blue. Walnut Trim. A/C & E/S/R. ABS & TC. Heated Seats. 16" Face Lift Alloy's. 225/55 Kuhmo Ecsta KH11 Tyres. NGK BKR5EK Plugs - All Six !

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
Re: V6 Wishbone Crisis - No Transport
« Reply #1 on: 29 July 2010, 01:56:14 »

You might want to show this to your friend Ug before he has his daily banana.
http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1152986949
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.

05omegav6

« Reply #2 on: 29 July 2010, 02:08:34 »

:o :o :o
 as a very very temporary fix, place a block of wood between your trolley jack and the wishbone, and carefully jack the arm up. you should then be able to refit the bolt to the steering knuckle. thisshould enable you to very gently get around till the weekend, when there may be a few more people around to help out.
once all done, you'll need to get a full and proper alignment check carried out.
see also chrisgixers' post in test posts regarding the ins and outs of alignment.
good luck. al. :y

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 July 2010, 02:17:28 »

thanks for that... makes perfect sense to me and I'm not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination. got a funny feeling that it may be beyond the scope of mr toyota and his large hammer. seriously need some help if anyone lives in SE London and able to get over to me.
Previous: 1996 Omega 2.5i V6 Manual Estate. Pearlescent, Polar Sea Blue. Walnut Trim. A/C & E/S/R. ABS & TC. Heated Seats. 16" Face Lift Alloy's. 225/55 Kuhmo Ecsta KH11 Tyres. NGK BKR5EK Plugs - All Six !

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 July 2010, 07:18:30 »

Sorry to hear about your problem but as you now know all mechanics are not what they say they are.
Sounds like yours was real tool and should not be left alone with a dinky toy!
Best bet is to sack the fool regardless and find a one who can do the job properly.
It may cost a tad more but at leats you will know it done correctly because some of the methods and torque settings are crutial! You can bet he would not have known, or used them.
Its your life at stake, and others if the wishbones collapse - do the right thing.
Best of luck though.
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.

Agemo

• Omega Knight
  • Cleethorpes
  • Insignia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 July 2010, 09:56:03 »

At least you did the right thing by asking on here, I think it's a good job your Monkey didn't finish it, you will end up with a good job. You will also laugh about this soon, I know it's horrible at the moment, but it could be a lot worse.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 July 2010, 10:00:48 »

If the pin has moved, might as well get it right out.

Firstly, unbolt the caliper and move it out of the way.

Secondly, give it a squirt of plus gas and leave for a few hours.

Load it up with the crowbar between the upright and the base of the ball joint, then give the socket section of the upright a few sharp clouts with the hammer and it will pop out.

Probably would have been easier to get the pin out before removing the two bolts through the bushes.

Oh, and this mechanic.. No 18mm socket? Where does he park his horse when he visits? ;)

Kevin
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

Liam

• Intermediate Member
  • Da Ghetto, Kempston Rural, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 July 2010, 10:07:53 »

The ball joint can be rather stiff if assembled dry. Best trick is to knock a cold chisel or even a fat screwdriver into the split of the pinch bolt area to pry it open a little. Then the ball joint will come out much much easier.

plym ian

• Omega Baron
  • Plymouth, Devon
    • 2.0 insignia elite tourer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 July 2010, 11:15:24 »

this reminds me got to get mine done  :) :)

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 July 2010, 15:24:08 »

thanks for the advice - raised the wishbone with a jack but the balljoint pin didn't pop up. just lifted the whole car so i can't put the pinch bolt back. keeping it off road til a mobile mechanic comes in the morning (not the bloke thats been playing with it). any one know how long it should take a pro mechanic with fully loaded van, to replace both wishbones? and roughly what I should expect to pay (in london). don't want to get ripped off  ;)

Sixstring

• Omega Baron
  • Lydney, Gloucestershire
  • Its just GOTTA be a big V6. Mmm....NOS........
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 July 2010, 15:26:28 »

Unfortunately, you COULD be into £100...........

mechanics generally don't like putting right other people's bad work.........2x hrs@ £50ph??
Self confessed Electro-Mechanical nut, Guitarist/Singer and Motorcyclist. Drives an estate due to all the equipment he has to carry,Electrickery fiddler who loves Automatics and BIG Vee engines.

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 July 2010, 15:44:47 »

Ouch! thought it might be something like that... car off road for 3 days and possible death by wife when see's the bank balance... all cos I was stupid enough to get taken in by the old "freind of a freind" routine... just glad i don't have a toyota  ::)

Liam

• Intermediate Member
  • Da Ghetto, Kempston Rural, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 July 2010, 15:51:40 »

raised the wishbone with a jack but the balljoint pin didn't pop up. just lifted the whole car

Wouldn't expect it to if it took 15 minutes of hammering to move it down! As suggested above you need to open out the steering knuckle where it pinches the ball joint pin by knocking a cold chisel or fat screwdriver into the split. That will make it much easier to move that ball joint either off or back on again. :y

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 July 2010, 16:01:57 »

thanks liam. I know you're spot on... but tried the jack thing this morning before you posted... I'd already downed tools and given before I got back online and saw your post. Just hope the real mechanic that comes out tomorrow knows to what you said.. otherwise the mig is gonna get more of a beating  :(

CaptainZok

• Omega Lord
  • Bolton
  • Victim of Cyberbullying.
    • 3.2 MV6 Estate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 July 2010, 16:22:38 »

You could always print out the how-to in case he's not used to doing them.
« Last Edit: 29 July 2010, 16:22:53 by CaptainZok »
PM me for code reading/clearing
TuBy's new whipping boy.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 21 queries.