Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Engine Oil Overfill !!!  (Read 1545 times)

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
Engine Oil Overfill !!!
« on: 11 August 2010, 22:25:16 »

Needed to top up by 0.5L to bring my dipstick up to max line (was mid way between min & max) so got my 1 litre bottle of oil and poured in half of it... then realised I was using my 2 litre bottle  ::) so I've now gone and overfilled by 0.5L above Max! been running the car and noticed an oil leak low down (not rocker covers) Have I done any harm by overfilling??? Never overfilled any car in 15yrs of driving...
Previous: 1996 Omega 2.5i V6 Manual Estate. Pearlescent, Polar Sea Blue. Walnut Trim. A/C & E/S/R. ABS & TC. Heated Seats. 16" Face Lift Alloy's. 225/55 Kuhmo Ecsta KH11 Tyres. NGK BKR5EK Plugs - All Six !

Iain

Re: Engine Oil Overfill !!!
« Reply #1 on: 11 August 2010, 22:33:47 »

Too much oil is as bad as not enough oil,get it out and back to the correct level asap,i would recomend without driving it again until its rectified

Too much oil will not allow things too move as they should,effectively it will create 'pressure' in the internals,you might be lucky but get it out soon mate :y
« Last Edit: 11 August 2010, 22:35:34 by Iain »

dbr

• Intermediate Member
  • north east.
    • 1997. 2.5CD petrol
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 August 2010, 22:50:54 »

mid min max...i thought was a litre. thats what i normally put in and it takes it to the line.  but if too much is in i would take it out

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 August 2010, 22:54:20 »

Too much oil is as bad as not enough oil, ......

not quite ....  ;) too much oil will tend to blow seals. None or not enough will do a lot of expensive damage to white metal bearings etc.  :y

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 August 2010, 22:54:58 »

Thanks mate, I will try and drain some off. Bit of a nightmare cos I can't do anything under the car (bad neck) is there any cheat working from top of the car?
effectively it will create 'pressure' in the internals
could it cause any external leaks? (rocker gaskets are fine as far as I can see)  :)
Previous: 1996 Omega 2.5i V6 Manual Estate. Pearlescent, Polar Sea Blue. Walnut Trim. A/C & E/S/R. ABS & TC. Heated Seats. 16" Face Lift Alloy's. 225/55 Kuhmo Ecsta KH11 Tyres. NGK BKR5EK Plugs - All Six !

Andy B

• Get A Life!!
  • Bury Lancs
    • ML350 TDM SmartRoadster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 August 2010, 22:58:36 »

.... is there any cheat working from top of the car?  ....

Do you know anyone with one of these?  ;)
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pela-6000-Vacuum-Oil-Extractor-Pump-6-L-/190426282267?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Sailing&hash=item2c564a791b

Iain

« Reply #6 on: 11 August 2010, 22:58:39 »

Too much oil is as bad as not enough oil, ......

not quite ....  ;) too much oil will tend to blow seals. None or not enough will do a lot of expensive damage to white metal bearings etc.  :y

Blow seals,leak oil over floor,no oil in engine, buggered so just as bad!
 :P :D ;D

The oil will find a weak point and get out from there,so once you have the excess out you will need to keep a really close eye on it

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 August 2010, 23:21:25 »

Do you know anyone with one of these? 
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pela-6000-Vacuum-Oil-Extractor-Pump-6-L-/190426282267?cmd=...
nope, but might have to buy one though... looks like a handy peice of kit  ;) If I have blown a seal are there any usual suspects, so I don't get ripped off by a greedy mechanic & are they easy to replace without a major strip down??

megaomega123

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 August 2010, 23:29:28 »

Can't you just let half a litre out the sump, clean up and then check for leaks? I personally don't think that half a litre would increase the oil pressure massively but that is just opinion.
Maybe the leak was there before overfill and you have only noticed it because you have checked more thoroughly after overfill.
All above hypothetical  :D
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ.

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 August 2010, 23:33:49 »

Posted by dbr: Today at 22:50
mid min max...i thought was a litre. thats what i normally put in and it takes it to the line.  but if too much is in i would take it out
you might have a non-OE dipstick cos the GM stick is exactly 1.0L between Min & Max line on yours and mine  :y MID shows "oil lack" if it hits Min line & 1.0L takes it to Max. This is for L reg - T reg, guessing your '97 Mig is a P/R reg  :y

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 August 2010, 23:42:58 »

v6miggy Posted: Today at 23:29
Can't you just let half a litre out the sump
don't think I can access sump bolt cos I'm waiting for Op on my neck.. but thanks for the advice & probably did have slight leak before I overfilled, certainly nothing noticable.. the top up was just routine from slight oil consumption  ;)

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 August 2010, 00:06:39 »

In my opinion, half a litre (less than a pint) of oil above the Max line isn't going to be catastrophic.

Would be ideal if you could lose some, but if you cant, then dont worry yourself too much.  I've seen far worse.
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

24_Valve

• Intermediate Member
  • Greater London
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 August 2010, 00:31:13 »

thanks  :y

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 August 2010, 06:25:55 »

As said, half a litre is nothing, there is naturally some kind of tolerance in the sump, the dipstick is showing the "recommended" levels. Also, oil getting a bit below min-level will not immediately destroy the engine.

I'd say that overfilling more than 1 litre would be an issue but even that would not blow any gaskets...  :y

Bionic

• Omega Knight
  • Leicester
  • Why drive anything else?
    • 1999 F/L 3.0 Elite saloon
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 August 2010, 07:14:33 »

Easiest way to get the excess out if its only 500ml is to take off the oil filter and change it.
I only ever have my oil level to midway between the marks, (VX oil) because if I fill it to the 'high' level it develops an oil leak that lies on the top of the sump lip at the front.
Before anyone comments on possible leaks many have searched for it, including some of the respected oofers, and not found any at all. A mirror and light have been used to see if any is running down the engine front, sides or back and there is not a sign of any, they are all bone dry. All seals and joints are genuine VX ones and there is no warping of any components. The only thing I have not been able to get to is the seal at the bottom of the dipstick tube. That is my next project and it will be done using VX parts.
Until then the halfway level mark works fine and causes no leaks.
GudLuk
Too old to suffer, too young to die!
Autobahnstormers Trade Cards now accepted at Drive Leicester and at Marshall's Vauxhall.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.