Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: cummings  (Read 15916 times)

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
  • My Old 3.2 V6 Elite (LPG)
    • Audi A6 Allroad 3.0 DTI
    • View Profile
Re: cummings
« Reply #105 on: 25 May 2020, 19:37:22 »

So it seems that the British "media" have now re-written a basic tenet of our lives over the past few hundred years .... from now on everyone is guilty until proved innocent... and if the answers that prove you innocent are not what the media want then they will be ignored so you are guilty anyway.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: 25 May 2020, 19:53:06 »

He's got to go as he has become a political liability to Boris, and a gift to the opposition.
So, go man, go!! >:( >:(

A stupid move, and Cummings must go no matter what was the timeline and facts around the case.

Get rid of Cummings and Boris has got rid of the unnecessary distraction ;)

Isn't it annoying how the sheep can jump to conclusions and pull the trigger before hearing the facts?

Well, now after hearing the man what do we all think..................?

I must admit that for me his explanation seems fair enough in terms of two very important aspects;  first the security risk to his family, who were showing virus symptoms, by staying in his London home after having, he claims, threats made against him - then the risk and circumstances when up in Durham, but him staying in a separate house, isolated on private property.

So on balance, it is a great pity all this did not come out for the public days ago and his news conference was not before his boss's yesterday. But he is a human being, and we can make bad judgements; he acted as he felt best, even though perhaps he could have handled it better.

It's lucky you don't have a gun, Ms Zoom!  ::)

Well, no.  I was concerned, and still am, about the distraction this is causing for the urgent business of Boris’s Government and the health of this country.

Cummings may have given a plausible explanation Of his actions, but did I say he shouldn’t go eventually?

No I deliberately didn’t, because it now depends on the Country’s reactions and, regrettably, the hunger still left in the press pack of hounds to chase this story. Watching the situation since the Cummings press conference, it would appear it is not over. So, in the interests of everyone, no matter how innocent or not Cummings is, he must eventually, within days, go.  If he does not the damage already done to Boris will be irreversible.

Boris must act in a Machiavellian manner and act in interests of the many, not Cummings. He must now be history ;)

That is life in politics (and the commercial managerial world that I knew) so you live or die by it.

Now we must move on. ;)
« Last Edit: 25 May 2020, 19:55:44 by Lizzie Zoom »

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: 25 May 2020, 20:04:04 »

No Lizzie ..it is actually time now to stand up to the gutter press and show them that

a) They should report the news, not try and manufacture it with falsehoods

b) They don't run the country, the Government do

The "country" won't have a reaction ..... some idiots with no braincells will simply repeat, ad nauseum , what the gutter press put out

Broomies Mate

• Omega Baron
  • Bristol, UK
    • Stuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 25 May 2020, 20:05:04 »

No I deliberately didn’t, because it now depends on the Country’s reactions and, regrettably, the hunger still left in the press pack of hounds to chase this story. Watching the situation since the Cummings press conference, it would appear it is not over. So, in the interests of everyone, no matter how innocent or not Cummings is, he must eventually, within days, go.  If he does not the damage already done to Boris will be irreversible.

Boris must act in a Machiavellian manner and act in interests of the many, not Cummings. He must now be history ;)

The problem with this, is if he resigns, that would be an admission of guilt.  If he is 'asked to leave' that implies the Government think him guilty.

The MSM have much to answer for with the way they have dealt with this, and changes should be made immediately.  Of course, the Government cannot simply tell the Press how to do their job, that's not how a Democratic system works, but I think many of those reporters who have WITHOUT QUESTION broken safety guidelines should be in a meeting first thing tomorrow morning with their arses handed to them.

As for the general public who asked for his head at the first hint of any wrongdoing, they have been taught a lesson, and whilst I don't believe many will change, I hope at least some do!
2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Merlot Red Stg1 noobtune
2009 Saab 9-5 Turbo Edition Titan Grey Stg3 noobtune
2017 Vauxhall Vivaro L1H1 125PS Star Silver

Entwood

• Omega Queen
  • North Wiltshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: 25 May 2020, 20:07:56 »

The problem with this, is if he resigns, that would be an admission of guilt.  If he is 'asked to leave' that implies the Government think him guilty.

The MSM have much to answer for with the way they have dealt with this, and changes should be made immediately.  Of course, the Government cannot simply tell the Press how to do their job, that's not how a Democratic system works, but I think many of those reporters who have WITHOUT QUESTION broken safety guidelines should be in a meeting first thing tomorrow morning with their arses handed to them.

As for the general public who asked for his head at the first hint of any wrongdoing, they have been taught a lesson, and whilst I don't believe many will change, I hope at least some do!

No such animal ... the press have simply found folks who will repeat "their" agenda and put it forward as an opinion .... have you been asked your thoughts ? has anyone on OOF?  has anyone you know ??  .. I very much doubt it.

Doctor Gollum

• Get A Life!!
  • In a colds and darks puddleses
  • If you can't eat them, join them...
    • Feetses.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: 25 May 2020, 20:34:19 »

In 2009 I was accosted by a local TV reporter to ask what I felt about the recession and its impact on my life. I suggested that I was getting by, but that if the banks were suffering that was self inflicted as the situation was entirely of their making... Suffice to say that I wasn't on the news that evening ;D
Onanists always think outside the box.

Lizzie Zoom

• Omega Lord
  • South
    • Omega 3.2 V6 ELITE 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 25 May 2020, 20:44:34 »

No Lizzie ..it is actually time now to stand up to the gutter press and show them that

a) They should report the news, not try and manufacture it with falsehoods

b) They don't run the country, the Government do

The "country" won't have a reaction ..... some idiots with no braincells will simply repeat, ad nauseum , what the gutter press put out

Yes, in a perfect World, but we are talking about politics here, not fairness or righteousness, just nasty, angry and cruel power games. If Cummings had told his story days ago, if Boris had played a different game on this then, yes, perhaps the situation would be very different.  But, no, Boris played right into the media’s game of political destruction and backed a man who is not liked nor trusted by many, including in the Conservative Party, on a very dodgy wicket. 

You cannot play the game of British politics badly and get away with it in our democracy; people here, not like in China or Russia, ask very direct and blunt questions and will keep digging the dirt and, like it or not, average Mr and Mrs Jo Public, will go with the flow.  That is what happens in high business management to a large extent, but often without the press interference (unless you are British Steel, Network Rail, Northern Rail, Virgin, Debenhams, M&S etc!!), but in politics we should recognise the ruthlessness of it all. Many senior politicians in history have paid the price of not being Machiavellian enough.

No, as I have already implied, Boris, as any good general does, must regain the high ground, regroup, cut your losses for the greater good, and go on a fresh attack.  The media can then be wrong footed, but if he keeps this current battle going, that he cannot win, then he will lose the war.

That is not good for the country.  >:( >:( >:(

Cummings must be history now.
« Last Edit: 25 May 2020, 20:47:00 by Lizzie Zoom »

STEMO

« Reply #112 on: 25 May 2020, 20:47:12 »

Stand by for 'Cummings took drugs at uni', 'Cummings secret lover', 'Cummings was nasty to next doors cat'.

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 25 May 2020, 20:57:12 »

No, as I have already implied, Boris, as any good general does, must regain the high ground, regroup, cut your losses for the greater good, and go on a fresh attack.  The media can then be wrong footed, but if he keeps this current battle going, that he cannot win, then he will lose the war.

That is not good for the country.  >:( >:( >:(

Cummings must be history now.

Strong leaders have never given in to the baying mob at the gate and neither should Boris.  ;)

If he does show weakness and give in, the media attack dogs will really scent blood and will move on to another despised Brexiteer, as this is what this is really about.  Revenge!    ::)

RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

Sir Tigger KC

• Get A Life!!
  • West Dorset
    • 2 Fords
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 25 May 2020, 20:58:12 »

Stand by for 'Cummings took drugs at uni', 'Cummings secret lover', 'Cummings was nasty to next doors cat'.

I think they've already done that one?  ;D
RIP Paul 'Luvvie' Lovejoy

Politically homeless ......

biggriffin

• Omega Lord
  • huntingdon, Hoof'land
    • Vectra in a posh frock.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: 25 May 2020, 21:00:37 »

This is my view of the affair, regarding the press.

Hoof'land storeman.

STEMO

« Reply #116 on: 25 May 2020, 21:14:28 »

I think they've already done that one?  ;D
Have they done this one?

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: 25 May 2020, 21:25:23 »

I think Brendan O'Neill sums it up best:

"The media’s Dominic Cummings story has completely collapsed. He did NOT go to Durham a second time, which was reported on the front page of the Sunday Mirror and the Observer. He did NOT have any physical contact with family members. The police did NOT talk to the Cummings family about the Covid lockdown guidelines. Cummings did NOT carry on doing things that everyone else had stopped doing — he even missed the funeral of his uncle who died from Covid. He did NOT leave his London home for leisure reasons — he left it because he was receiving death threats as a result of media demonisation. He was very ill, his wife was ill, and at one point his child was taken to hospital in an ambulance in Durham.

His family has had a really rough time and the media have told lie after lie about him. The scandal is not Cummings’ behaviour — it is the collapse of ethics and objectivity in the British media."

For me, the final twelve words sum up this despicable witch hunt.   >:( >:(
Ermmmm...yes....but. What's the 'collapse' bit all about? To collapse from suggests that the media once had ethics and objectivity. I'm quite old and I don't remember that.

Fair point. Me neither.  ;)

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: 25 May 2020, 21:28:47 »

So, in the interests of everyone, no matter how innocent or not Cummings is, he must eventually, within days, go.  If he does not the damage already done to Boris will be irreversible.

No, no, no. That's surrendering to the media.  >:( >:(

Speaking to rea people (i.e. not the Twitterati), I get the feeling that Cummings has a lot of support for his actions. :y

Migalot

• London
    • Omega 2.6 2002
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: 25 May 2020, 21:36:16 »

I see mad woman Gina Miller has tweeted this:

"Re-listened to #DominicCummings statement & a serious question for @SuellaBraverman AG & @BorisJohnson . Should Cummings be charged under Road Traffic Act 1988? I've had #COVID19 confirmed by #antibodytest & I can say it takes a long time to be fit to drive long distances."

Gina Miller, eh? So, it was all to do with Brexit.  ::) ::)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12   Go Up

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.