Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please play nicely.  No one wants to listen/read a keyboard warriors rants....

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tinted windows - not with tint film (?)  (Read 854 times)

zYx

• Kent
  • Member of Mayday
    • Black 3.2
    • View Profile
    • Grischke Solutions
Tinted windows - not with tint film (?)
« on: 05 July 2009, 11:28:35 »

Hi there,
I'd like to tint my windows, but not with a tint film, but in a proffesional way. Don't know what you call it (please tell me), but I don't want air on the edges of the windows, where the black dots are. Hope you know what I mean ;)

Who does it in the UK, preferably South-East, how long does it take and how much would that cost me?

Thanks in advance.

feeutfo

Re: Tinted windows - not with tint film (?)
« Reply #1 on: 05 July 2009, 13:58:05 »

not aware of an alternative to film or original factory fitted tinted windows. But i'm all ears if there is.

Chris_H

• Omega Knight
  • E London/Essex UK
    • Jag XF Portfolio S 3.0D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 July 2009, 14:08:45 »

Hi there,
I'd like to tint my windows, but not with a tint film, but in a proffesional way. Don't know what you call it (please tell me), but I don't want air on the edges of the windows, where the black dots are. Hope you know what I mean ;)

Who does it in the UK, preferably South-East, how long does it take and how much would that cost me?

Thanks in advance.
In days gone by we used to be able to buy a paint for tinting windows but I never saw it applied very well and I would not call it professional.

AFAIK the tinted film IS the professional remedy and is offered by many well-established car sales outlets of good (well, relatively  ;)) repute.

I presume that your gripe is with the fact that the film does not follow the contours of the window where there are already dots applied by the manufacturer to blend into a black surround a la half-tone printing?  Can you remove the dots first?
First Vauxhall - PABX Cresta; Previous, previous Vauxhall - 3.0 12v Senator CD; Previous Vauxhall Omega Elite 3.0V6 Saloon Auto

zYx

• Kent
  • Member of Mayday
    • Black 3.2
    • View Profile
    • Grischke Solutions
« Reply #3 on: 05 July 2009, 14:42:35 »

In my country they call it furnace tinting in direct translation.

metallization on the glass consisting of titanium oxides. The degree of darkness depends on the amount of titanium placed per cm2 of the glass in microns. The minimum value is 100 microns per cm2 glass, while the maximum is 500 microns per cm2 glass. These values can be graded in each of 50 microns.
They say it takes about 7 hours to do that.

I think this is what factories do and I think this is better way than tint film.

Even if I remove the dots I would have to remove the whole black paint as there will be air on the edge of that black paint.
Also, there will be air all over the rear heated glass as you can't really remove this...
I've seen lots of cars like that and you must admit, it doesn't looke nice.
« Last Edit: 05 July 2009, 14:49:12 by zYx »

billy no mates

• Central Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 July 2009, 15:23:10 »

Precut film cheapest i have found ?

$24.99 plus $14.99 shipping, for all side windows and rear, may have to trim for rear window brake light ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350216202645&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT
« Last Edit: 05 July 2009, 15:24:47 by nikconnor »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.