Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Please check the Forum Guidelines at the top of the Newbie section

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Play in steering  (Read 6542 times)

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
Play in steering
« on: 15 April 2012, 18:54:19 »

A few words to start: As some may remeber I've been having intermittent stiffness in steering, only when turning right and only every now and then, mainly noticed it low speed and around one quarter turn.

I do assume it is related to Servotronic somehow, no play in any suspension parts, nor in any joints/track rods, nor the idler. Is there some kind of sensor for steering angle for Servotronic or ESP? If there is a turning angle sensor that might be my problem. Other candidate is Servotronic relay.

So, today I noticed a slight play in steering. Engine off and there is play, measured visually on steering wheel about 1-2 cm. Now this can't be right? Or can it? Engine on and no play.

freecall666

• Omega Knight
  • looking over your shoulder
  • fun for all, get with the program
    • 2.0l sweat tank on wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Play in steering
« Reply #1 on: 15 April 2012, 19:33:31 »

when was the last time you changed the power steering fluid? changed mine when it was getting hard now can turn sterring with my little finger. :y
Solar charger fitted.
If not Broke dont fix it..

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 April 2012, 19:43:25 »

it was changed in the winter but I don't think its that because I only have one "blind spot" and only turning left.

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 15 April 2012, 21:21:57 »

They all do that in my experience.

Steering box is "looser" away from the straight ahead position where it's damped so you'll feel an alarming amount of play away from the straight ahead position. Fluid pressure does take up some of the play, so it's worse without the engine running.

EDIT: It would be well worth making sure the pitman arm is straight ahead when the steering wheel is central. If the wheel has been moved on the steering column to correct the wheel position, it could mean the damping effect now happens away from the straight ahead position, giving a stiff spot in the steering.
« Last Edit: 15 April 2012, 21:24:57 by Kevin Wood »
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

feeutfo

« Reply #4 on: 15 April 2012, 22:08:22 »

Normal.

05omegav6

« Reply #5 on: 16 April 2012, 00:40:54 »

I have a similar issue :'( Same symptoms, but at higher speeds when turning right and the suspension is loaded, also intermittent wandering under braking :-\ It was abrupt and unexpected enough to make Kevin go "Ooh that's not right" :-\

For reference the car was set up last Thursday, using WIMs settings, almost perfectly set :y
« Last Edit: 16 April 2012, 00:42:29 by taxi al »

feeutfo

« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2012, 00:47:22 »

I have a similar issue :'( Same symptoms, but at higher speeds when turning right and the suspension is loaded, also intermittent wandering under braking :-\ It was abrupt and unexpected enough to make Kevin go "Ooh that's not right" :-\

For reference the car was set up last Thursday, using WIMs settings, almost perfectly set :y
Two words...

First line

At a guess.

05omegav6

« Reply #7 on: 16 April 2012, 00:55:29 »

Which bit? :-\

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 April 2012, 07:11:36 »

They all do that in my experience.

Steering box is "looser" away from the straight ahead position where it's damped so you'll feel an alarming amount of play away from the straight ahead position. Fluid pressure does take up some of the play, so it's worse without the engine running.

EDIT: It would be well worth making sure the pitman arm is straight ahead when the steering wheel is central. If the wheel has been moved on the steering column to correct the wheel position, it could mean the damping effect now happens away from the straight ahead position, giving a stiff spot in the steering.

What would be the best and easiest method to make sure the pitman arm is straight ahead? Take a measure from points where it and idler connect to frame and then measure the the points where they connect to steering arm?

feeutfo

« Reply #9 on: 16 April 2012, 08:09:21 »

Oh dear. First place I'd look is rear wb bush, tbh.

I've had nothing but agro with first line parts. ESP wishbones.

05omegav6

« Reply #10 on: 16 April 2012, 09:22:30 »

Oh dear. First place I'd look is rear wb bush, tbh.

I've had nothing but agro with first line parts. ESP wishbones.
:'(

Boglox. Not sure the wishbones are first line :-\ top mounts are. Weren't an issue at mot 4  weeks ago. Polys taking their toll then perhaps  :-\ wishbones discs and pads at the bucks
meet ::) Would've thought with the polys they might have lasted better than 30k :-\

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 April 2012, 09:50:44 »

I think it's something at the front end. Could feel something "shifting" through the steering. Wish we'd thought to put it up on the ramp on Saturday and give it a once-over. ::)
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

feeutfo

« Reply #12 on: 16 April 2012, 10:02:01 »

Check the rear bush on front wishbone, plus all the usual stuff, before concluding.

If it is the rearward bush, it will bu due to the quality of the bush itself, nout to do with poly.

Could be a number of things, but iirc the ones fitted at the lakes, you said where first line. I did wince at the time. They might be fine, needs a check over, but thats what I'd bet on.
 Needs the front wheel off to exmine fully.

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 16 April 2012, 10:43:19 »

As said, I have no play whatsoever on wishbones, track rods, idler and still the blind spot. Will have to re-re-re-check the pitman arm pointing straight but still I'd like to find some information about servotronic ans ESP system.

05omegav6

« Reply #14 on: 16 April 2012, 13:45:25 »

No noticable (stationary at least) play in w/b, either on the ground or up in the air :-\ but rubber is split around the tops of both rear bushes :-\

I've also drained the power steering reservoir and refilled with fresh fluid. Will see how car behaves tonight :-\

As said, I have no play whatsoever on wishbones, track rods, idler and still the blind spot. Will have to re-re-re-check the pitman arm pointing straight but still I'd like to find some information about servotronic ans ESP system.
Centre line of the Pitman arm is parallel to the chassis rail when straight ahead :y
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 19 queries.