Omega Owners Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome to OOF

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Play in steering  (Read 6541 times)

feeutfo

Re: Play in steering
« Reply #15 on: 16 April 2012, 15:54:00 »

I think maybe start a thread Al. :)

feeutfo

« Reply #16 on: 16 April 2012, 15:55:42 »

Re servo tronic, if there is an electrical fault, tech 2 will read the ecu and show a code.
Sounds mechanical to me though. (he said cautiously) :-\

Kevin Wood

• Global Moderator
  • Alton, Hampshire
    • Jaguar XE 25t, Westfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 April 2012, 17:25:26 »

Servotronic is as basic as it gets. Servotronic ECU receives a road speed signal from ABS/TC as its' only input and applies a variable PWM signal to modulate a valve in the steering box which varies hydraulic pressure and hence the level of steering assistance.

Only real symptoms of a problem are lack of assistance e.g. when speed signal is not present or supply fuse has blown. I can imagine it might raise a code if the electrical circuit to the valve is at fault but, again, lack of assistance at low speeds is really the only noticeable symptom.

ESP might be another matter. I haven't ever seen it fitted to a UK car, so can't really comment.

I don't recall whether ESP replaces Servotronic or sits alongside it. If the former, then you might be losing assistance due to a problem with the steering angle sensor that's making the ESP system hiccup but I doubt it. It sounds like a tight spot in the steering box or some other part of the mechanism to me.

As said before, the level of play is normal IMHO but check alignment of the steering wheel and box input. The best way to do this is apparently to check where the steering column joins the steering box input shaft, where there is a marking indication the centre position but some dismantling is required to get there.
Tech2 services currently available. See TheBoy's price list: http://theboy.omegaowners.com/

feeutfo

« Reply #18 on: 16 April 2012, 21:52:32 »

Steering box input shaft is the brassy "looking" shaft on the left poking through the rubber seal. In order to see the mark on the input shaft, the steering column has to be removed from it mounts and the knuckle shown removed to the side.

IMO, given the coarseness of the splines on the column and knuckle, the easiest way to check the box is central to the wheels is to straighten the wheels and visually check the pitman arm is straight ahead.

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 April 2012, 08:05:53 »

More than peculiar thing I remebered. I canged the wishbones 'cause they were shot and the problem kind of disappeared for a while... UNTIL the geometry was set up again. So, it seems it is mechanical but I have no idea how and why. No play in any component, fresh fluid in PAS system, wheels are ok (have tried it with three different sets). Next is to re-chekc the pitman arm but visually checking will only be more or less objective evaluation... "it seems to be straight..."  :-\ How straight is straight and how to measure? Will also measure the lengths of track rods, that might give an idea if the pitman arm is straight or not  :-\ Mostly I'm confused with the fact that this "stiff spot" is ALWAYS in same position and ALWAYS to left, never to right nd that's why I did suspect Servotronic or ESP. But, as said in peoples answers, servotronic will either work or not as it's very simple setup. BUT, then again, ESP and (if Omega has one) its "steering wheel sensor/input/whatever it's called" MIGHT be the issue here but then again, how it would affect PAS as these systems are not connected  :-\

feeutfo

« Reply #20 on: 17 April 2012, 10:22:31 »

It must be mechanical, going by your description.

Is the problem there with wheels jacked/car off the floor? While checking pitman arm it might be worth moving the steering trough ots full travel from underneath. If noticeable, could undo the steering track rod to stub axle, remove nut and tap the ball joint out with a hammer, then move the wheel through it's movement separately from the rest of the steering. See if it can be isolated/diagnosed that way.
 Might point to a top shock mount or a component sticking. Trouble is top shock mounts tend to behave when unloaded.

Food for thought. :)

feeutfo

« Reply #21 on: 17 April 2012, 10:25:12 »

Ps, provided the track rod adjuster clamps are tight the above shouldn't affect toe setting.

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 April 2012, 11:51:05 »

It must be mechanical, going by your description.

Is the problem there with wheels jacked/car off the floor? While checking pitman arm it might be worth moving the steering trough ots full travel from underneath. If noticeable, could undo the steering track rod to stub axle, remove nut and tap the ball joint out with a hammer, then move the wheel through it's movement separately from the rest of the steering. See if it can be isolated/diagnosed that way.
 Might point to a top shock mount or a component sticking. Trouble is top shock mounts tend to behave when unloaded.

Food for thought. :)

Top mounts were changed (the yellow bearing kind of part) along the wishbones. Old ones seemed to be ok but still replaced them. Any other parts that I should have renewed in top mounts?  Wheels off the floor and all is fine, which does point to the top mounts though  ???

feeutfo

« Reply #23 on: 17 April 2012, 12:19:35 »

Just the rubber mount and the bearing.

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 April 2012, 12:22:22 »

Just the rubber mount and the bearing.

Ok. Rubbers were "good", no cracks or anything, and the bearings were changed. Will crawl under the car in the evening...again... SWMBO must think something about this continious lying under the car...  :D

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 18 April 2012, 07:06:57 »

Update: Pitman arm is 100% straight. Both track rods are same length. No play in idler. BUT: now I found play in left wheel but can not pinpoint it anywhere. It is steering related play, defo not bearing, only in 9-3 direction. Not much but noticable. And on left side. So, it's either inner our outer track rod end, huh? Does the "main rod" (the big part of steering in the middle of car, whatsitsnamethen) joints wear? And, if these are in good condition, how can I make sure the play is not in the box itself?

feeutfo

« Reply #26 on: 18 April 2012, 07:38:19 »

Does sound like track rod/ball joint play. Would that cause a stiff spot?.... unless it's binding. Still reckOn it's worth tapping the ball joint off the stub axle and checking components individually by hand.

Steering box play , engine running, stand outside the car, turn steering wheel through the open window with one hand, while feeling the movement of the road wheel with the other hand.

feeutfo

« Reply #27 on: 18 April 2012, 07:39:45 »

Ps won't work on the passenger side.

kcl

• Omega Knight
  • Finland
    • Volvo V60 D4 -14
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18 April 2012, 07:52:17 »

Does sound like track rod/ball joint play. Would that cause a stiff spot?.... unless it's binding. Still reckOn it's worth tapping the ball joint off the stub axle and checking components individually by hand.

Steering box play , engine running, stand outside the car, turn steering wheel through the open window with one hand, while feeling the movement of the road wheel with the other hand.

I was wondering the same, how could it cause the stiff spot  ??? Well, I won't give up, new track rod on the list and while doing that can also check all other possibilities. Quite confusing this one though...

One more thing: when putting a new track rod in I assume I can make it to equal legth with the old one and do not need tracking adjusted?

feeutfo

« Reply #29 on: 18 April 2012, 09:27:58 »

The only reference you have is to compare length, but massive errors are likely.

There's an unfinished guide in test zone for toe. Then it MUST be set correctly after.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.